Stanford @ #13 Oregon (Oct. 1, Sat 8 PM FS1)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Stanford @ #13 Oregon (Oct. 1, Sat 8 PM FS1)

Post by buckmarkduck »

nogerO wrote:
rockthief wrote:When TT is in the game the energy of the team dissipates it seems to me. He lacks energy to fuel his team mates. Then he makes those terrible reads. I do not see him leading this team positively.

From the small sampling of what I've seen, TT looks confused and definitely locks on to his primary and that's it. Butterfield looks to be able to run this offense and make some throws as well. Past time for him to get some real time with the offense. I've said it before, TT and Butters will be in the portal if this QB depth chart continues. I'd be a little upset if I was Mr. Butterfield about not getting a chance given TT's ineptitude so far.

Have wee seen Butterfield really run the O in a game? I don’t remember it.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

buckmarkduck wrote:
nogerO wrote:
rockthief wrote:When TT is in the game the energy of the team dissipates it seems to me. He lacks energy to fuel his team mates. Then he makes those terrible reads. I do not see him leading this team positively.

From the small sampling of what I've seen, TT looks confused and definitely locks on to his primary and that's it. Butterfield looks to be able to run this offense and make some throws as well. Past time for him to get some real time with the offense. I've said it before, TT and Butters will be in the portal if this QB depth chart continues. I'd be a little upset if I was Mr. Butterfield about not getting a chance given TT's ineptitude so far.

Only in spring.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

buckmarkduck wrote:
nogerO wrote:

I don’t think he even has a pass attempt at this point of the season. He got in vs EWU but I think he just handed the ball off. I’ll assume the coaches know what they’re doing and there’s a reason TT is getting the backup snaps and not Butters.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
nogerO wrote:

Only in spring.

Spring game is usually a good barometer of a QBs abilities. Remember when Lockie went like 20-29 for 300 yards.
OfaFeather
Two Star Recruit

Post by OfaFeather »

buckmarkduck wrote: Spring game is usually a good barometer of a QBs abilities. Remember when Lockie went like 20-29 for 300 yards.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Duck07 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:Pretty nice that we can play so poorly and still trounce inferior teams...

Obviously there’s a lot we can improve on but I’m trying not to take for granted that a first year coach already has us in such a great spot.
After 5 games I've got nothing but great things to say about the direction Lanning has the team, Dilly has the Offense and while the Defense isn't a Top 25 unit, I don't see anything that tells me there is some schematic issue that's going to prevent it from being a great unit in time.

That won't stop me from being nervous in a lot of our remaining games save Colorado, but for a 1st year HC navigating the West Coast for the first time in his life he's doing a tremendous job.
It’s the little things, like how we consistently manage the clock and sneak in scores at the quarter and half breaks, that makes you feel really good about this staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:Pretty nice that we can play so poorly and still trounce inferior teams...

Obviously there’s a lot we can improve on but I’m trying not to take for granted that a first year coach already has us in such a great spot.
After 5 games I've got nothing but great things to say about the direction Lanning has the team, Dilly has the Offense and while the Defense isn't a Top 25 unit, I don't see anything that tells me there is some schematic issue that's going to prevent it from being a great unit in time.

That won't stop me from being nervous in a lot of our remaining games save Colorado, but for a 1st year HC navigating the West Coast for the first time in his life he's doing a tremendous job.
It’s the little things, like how we consistently manage the clock and sneak in scores at the quarter and half breaks, that makes you feel really good about this staff.

Couldn't agree more. The team just appears to be better coached. I get the penalties are an issue and I am 1000% confident Lanning will continue to harp on it till the mistakes are eliminated.

So far (and I say this with fingers crossed) they are not playing down to their competition.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Spring game is usually a good barometer of a QBs abilities. Remember when Lockie went like 20-29 for 300 yards.
I actually think Spring is a pretty good indicator, but you have to watch it and not just look at the box score. That Lockie game you're referring to, I don't know if he threw the ball more than 5 yards once. And when the season rolled around... he still couldn't throw beyond 5 yards.

I just remember seeing Mariota and going "holy crap," and what we've seen out of Robby Ashford (good and terrible) at Auburn is exactly what we've seen in open practices/spring. But you have to watch it.
spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Post by spacefrog13x »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

Squeezing one last play at the end of the first quarter when the Stanford defense was gassed and just wanted to get to the end was great gamesmanship. We had the right personal package in there and they were not ready.

The good thing about having a coach this young is, he is going to get better.

Its one of the things I think was under appreciated about Coach Bellotti. He was willing to change when things no longer worked. And he was open to new ideas ( even if they turned our terrible like the Stuebler edge defense).

Innovation and speed are the Oregon brand and as long as he continues to be adaptable and open to new ideas, the sky is the limit.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
nogerO wrote:

Only in spring.

I don't remember that. Butterfield and Ashford from last year look way more promising than Lockie. I think Butterfield is similar to Ashford but a much better arm.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

StevensTechU wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
I actually think Spring is a pretty good indicator, but you have to watch it and not just look at the box score. That Lockie game you're referring to, I don't know if he threw the ball more than 5 yards once. And when the season rolled around... he still couldn't throw beyond 5 yards.

I just remember seeing Mariota and going "holy crap," and what we've seen out of Robby Ashford (good and terrible) at Auburn is exactly what we've seen in open practices/spring. But you have to watch it.
Spring game and garbage time did make me worry about Lockie because whenever Lockie would come in the game the game would get closer. While Bryan Bennett extended the lead further. Same thing with Shough. Shough extended the leads that Herbert would get.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

duck023 wrote:I think Butterfield is similar to Ashford but a much better arm.
Similar? You would be hard pressed to come up with an example of two quarterbacks that are more different.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

gogreen55 wrote:
duck023 wrote:I think Butterfield is similar to Ashford but a much better arm.
Similar? You would be hard pressed to come up with an example of two quarterbacks that are more different.
Here is the thing I get that they have a reputation of being completely different. However, Ashford is a better thrower than people think, and Butterfield is a much better runner than people think so they are actually pretty similar in a lot of ways.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

I do have to say this was an awesome game! I know it's not good to have that many penalties but Oregon's struggled with bad Stanford teams before and I'm glad that wasn't the case in that game.