Grades through 4 games

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

nogerO
Senior

Grades through 4 games

Post by nogerO »

Please feel free to add yours as this is all just MHO after watching 4 games on tv:

Offense A-
Defense B+
Special Teams B+
Coaching A

OFFENSE
QB A
WRs/TE A
O line A-
RB's A
Execution A-
-Coaching-
Play calling A+
In game adjustments A

DEFENSE
D line B
LB B
CB C+ (Except for the ex buff-A)
S's B-
-Coaching-
Play calling B+
In game adjustments B+

SPECIAL TEAMS

K A
Coverage A
Punter B
Coverage A

Team Overall A-
Coaching A-

JMHO
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Grades through 4 games

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think I'd lower the RB score.

Assuming years like 09 with: LMJ, Barner and Blount is an A or A+, this squad doesn't even approach that. Bucky is very very good, but the rest are just above average right now and not game breakers.

I also think I'd put the overall defense at a B or B-. There have been good moments but also a lot of average play across the board.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

The OLine deserves the best grade of any unit on the team.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'm impressed with Bo Nix. I still don't think he's the elite QB we need to be a true playoff contender, but he is definitely better than AB. I love that we can finally attack defenses down the field. (I kind of feel like the groundskeepers in Major League... "He's still shitty." But, in reality, I'm definitely warming up to him.)

Also LOVE our RBs. Again, I'm not sure that I see an all-world talent in this group, but I LOVE Bucky Irving and I wonder just how good he'll be by the time all is said and done.

O-line is fantastic too. I'm not nearly as football-wise as others here, but the BYU game was the first time (against a quality opponent) that I could recall seeing the running lanes open before the RB even took off with the rock. And zero sacks so far! Pretty dang good. Makes me wonder what O-line guru Mario Cristoball was doing during practice.

Offense: A
Defense: B
Special teams: B+
Last edited by pezsez1 on Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:The OLine deserves the best grade of any unit on the team.
i believe A+ no sacks in the first 4 games that's out standing
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

pezsez1 wrote:Makes me wonder what O-line guru Mario Cristoball was doing during practice.
He's 4 steps ahead of us learning the intricacies of the next level football they are playing in the Sunbelt Conference. By losing to Middle Tennessee State, he's learned so much more. He has the college football world RIGHT where he wants them!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

duckfan22 wrote:
OL is definitely A+. Playing like potentially the best OL in the nation right now between not allowing a sack and the running game moving the ball consistently.

Nix is a B+ for me. He's like a game manager-plus, short of being an NFL prospect but having more tools than a guy like Tanner Morgan.

Secondary is a C. They're not the worst, but they're not good. Same comment on the linebackers. I'd love if we still had Isaac Slade-Matuatia right now.
dthomas=ddixon

Grades through 4 games

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Glad you did this, I was thinking of starting this same thread!

Offense: A-
Defense: C+
Special Teams: B
Coaching: A

On offense Dillingham is clearly a fantastic schemer and play-caller. The only real criticism I have is the 1st half against Wazzu. Felt like he was scared of their RZ D and was trying too hard to scheme around it. I know Cardwell has been dinged up but I’d also like to see him as RB2 over Whittington. Whittington has played well but I can’t help but feel like Cardwell would do even better with those carries.

Nix is what he is as far as bad throws but he is constantly very accurate otherwise, and can make all the throws. That 4th & 2 throw to Bucky was incredible.

Defensively part of our issue is just inherited personnel. Bridges probably shouldn’t be an outside corner but he’s great around the LOS. Would love to know what’s going on with our star LBs because guys like Bassa and LaDuke have shown a lot of improvement. DL is holding things down; thank God for the two transfer that no one thought would be very good ha.

Overall I love how coaches are just playing the best players at the correct position. Johnson finally just being put at DE and Franklin finally being WR1, for example. Just want to see Cardwell in there more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:
OL is definitely A+. Playing like potentially the best OL in the nation right now between not allowing a sack and the running game moving the ball consistently.

Nix is a B+ for me. He's like a game manager-plus, short of being an NFL prospect but having more tools than a guy like Tanner Morgan.

Secondary is a C. They're not the worst, but they're not good. Same comment on the linebackers. I'd love if we still had Isaac Slade-Matuatia right now.
The lack of good recruiting in the secondary has hurt. When Heyward left it left a gap in recruiting that we are feeling now.

Not to continue on the MC topic but there certainly was some reason MC would not promote him. I get he had never been a big time DC but you have to wonder.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

lmduck wrote:
The lack of good recruiting in the secondary has hurt. When Heyward left it left a gap in recruiting that we are feeling now.

Not to continue on the MC topic but there certainly was some reason MC would not promote him. I get he had never been a big time DC but you have to wonder.
Since 2019

At corner:

[High] 4* Wright left a year early
3* Bridges has probably played close to his rating, in all fairness
3* DJ James transferred
5* Manning hasn't panned out like a five star.
4* Luke Hill... yea.
4* Dickerson hasn't really lived up to his billing
4* Davies transferred, but we got Gonzo, so net win
3* Barkins is probably on-track for what was expected as a guy who will contribute later in his career

At safety:

3* Jamal Hill has been OK
3* Bennett Williams has been a borderline NFL player
3* JJ Greenfield has had an interesting collegiate career including a year at community college and just hasn't broken through
3* Daymon David has seemingly created more buzz than actual production

Florence, Tucker, Williams, and Terrell are freshmen. Overall, I'd say the 2019-2020 classes created a gap, and though the last two classes look good on paper, they're still young.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
lmduck wrote:

Since 2019

At corner:

[High] 4* Wright left a year early
3* Bridges has probably played close to his rating, in all fairness
3* DJ James transferred
5* Manning hasn't panned out like a five star.
4* Luke Hill... yea.
4* Dickerson hasn't really lived up to his billing
4* Davies transferred, but we got Gonzo, so net win
3* Barkins is probably on-track for what was expected as a guy who will contribute later in his career

At safety:

3* Jamal Hill has been OK
3* Bennett Williams has been a borderline NFL player
3* JJ Greenfield has had an interesting collegiate career including a year at community college and just hasn't broken through
3* Daymon David has seemingly created more buzz than actual production

Florence, Tucker, Williams, and Terrell are freshmen. Overall, I'd say the 2019-2020 classes created a gap, and though the last two classes look good on paper, they're still young.
Good assessment STU.

spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Post by spacefrog13x »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Glad you did this, I was thinking of starting this same thread!

On offense Dillingham is clearly a fantastic schemer and play-caller. The only real criticism I have is the 1st half against Wazzu. Felt like he was scared of their RZ D and was trying too hard to scheme around it. I know Cardwell has been dinged up but I’d also like to see him as RB2 over Whittington. Whittington has played well but I can’t help but feel like Cardwell would do even better with those carries.

Nix is what he is as far as bad throws but he is constantly very accurate otherwise, and can make all the throws. That 4th & 2 throw to Bucky was incredible.

Defensively part of our issue is just inherited personnel. Bridges probably shouldn’t be an outside corner but he’s great around the LOS. Would love to know what’s going on with our star LBs because guys like Bassa and LaDuke have shown a lot of improvement. DL is holding things down; thank God for the two transfer that no one thought would be very good ha.

Overall I love how coaches are just playing the best players at the correct position. Johnson finally just being put at DE and Franklin finally being WR1, for example. Just want to see Cardwell in there more.

I would like to see Bridges in a more hybrid/robber role. He definitely will stick his nose in there and hit a guy. he feels more like a Keith Lewis Hybrid SS/LB type player than an actual defensive back.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Bridges was recruited as a Safety I believe. Which with the way he moves, he should be back over there.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

spacefrog13x wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:Glad you did this, I was thinking of starting this same thread!

I would like to see Bridges in a more hybrid/robber role. He definitely will stick his nose in there and hit a guy. he feels more like a Keith Lewis Hybrid SS/LB type player than an actual defensive back.
Mostly agree. Lewis was a headhunter like few I’ve seen in a Duck uniform. Bridges is a good tackler, but not the stone wall Lewis was.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck wrote:Bridges was recruited as a Safety I believe. Which with the way he moves, he should be back over there.
He really just needs to learn to turn his head around and get comfortable locating the ball. I've often seen him in the right spot but with his head in the wrong spot with no anticipation.

Like with the tackling, I'm hoping this is something that starts to develop as the season goes on and he gets more comfortable with the defense to focus on that.