Oregon RB Depth Chart

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Oregon RB Depth Chart

Post by StevensTechU »

All, feel free to drop your own depth chart below. Four games seems like a decent enough sample size to have an opinion.

1. Bucky Irving - The last two games have made it obvious that he's the most versatile and most likely to lead the team in YPC this season.
2a. Noah Whittington - He's got the best speed of all the backs and tends to be a one-cut-and-go guy. I could see him and my 2b being better options in different situations.
2b. Byron Cardwell - Great vision and patient, but also sometimes plays so slow that he gets tackled in the backfield while waiting. Generally goes down on first contact, so here's where he lands.
4. Sean Dollars - He's found a niche using his hands and has displayed good vision and improved speed this year. Just not as physically gifted as any of the other guys on this list. The catch to get the 1st down against Wazzu where he held onto the ball despite the defender nailing it with his helmet, though - Wow.
5. Jordon James - They're using him for very specific (short yardage) purposes, but I'm trying to look at this as who-is-better-right-now-overall. Hard to choose between James and Dollars, though.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Oregon RB Depth Chart

Post by StevensTechU »

I don't want to digress too much, but Cardwell's mom loves to indicate on Twitter that her son and Dollars are candidates for the portal.
Wildcat-Duck
One Star Recruit

Post by Wildcat-Duck »

StevensTechU wrote:I don't want to digress too much, but Cardwell's mom loves to indicate on Twitter that her son and Dollars are candidates for the portal.
I saw the first part of an interview before the season started with Cardwell. He indicated that his first goal for the season was to win the Heisman Trophy. I was surprised at his immaturity.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

StevensTechU wrote:I don't want to digress too much, but Cardwell's mom loves to indicate on Twitter that her son and Dollars are candidates for the portal.
Wasn't dollars going to go into the portal prior to this season, but he got talked out of it?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The past few days, she's certainly been intimating the coaches play favorites and aren't giving certain players shots. Twitter is probably not the best place to be airing that type of laundry.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

It’s tough to really grade Cardwell. All his biggest runs last season came in garbage time. My biggest complaint about him is he plays like Royce, but he’s 30 LBs lighter so he can’t bull over guys the same way.

People want Whillington replaced, which I don’t understand. He is averaging over 6 ypc, and better yet he holds onto the ball. As we start playing teams with less team speed on D, he will break some long runs.

Dollars I’d love to see what he can do, but the guys who see him daily haven’t thought he does enough to get major minutes.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

greenyellow wrote:
The past few days, she's certainly been intimating the coaches play favorites and aren't giving certain players shots. Twitter is probably not the best place to be airing that type of laundry.
Yeah, I have seen some of her posts and not sure what she (Mom Cardwell) might be implying. Agree that Twitter is not the place to air laundry. But then again, that seems to be the forum for that sort of thing.

I thought Byron was hurt as well so I was assuming they were holding him out to get him healed up.

Dollars is interesting to me. He was at one point going to transfer and then decided not to.

As it has been said, we are not seeing them in practice so one would have to assume the coaches are seeing things they like from Irving and Whittington.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

I like Cardwell a lot….but if he transfers I have faith that someone just as good will come in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I’ve met 100s of people who would have been stars, but the coach played favorites.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

buckmarkduck wrote:I’ve met 100s of people who would have been stars, but the coach played favorites.
Lol.

I think Cardwell could do better with those carries than Whittington; Cardwell is at 6.9 ypc while Whittington is at 5.1. But to your earlier point, Whittington is playing really well and you don’t move a guy down the depth chart who’s playing as well as he is.

The ironic thing about his mom complaining on Twitter is she was very vocal about him being loyal to the team during the coaching change.

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:I’ve met 100s of people who would have been stars, but the coach played favorites.
Lol.

I think Cardwell could do better with those carries than Whittington; Cardwell is at 6.9 ypc while Whittington is at 5.1. But to your earlier point, Whittington is playing really well and you don’t move a guy down the depth chart who’s playing as well as he is.

The ironic thing about his mom complaining on Twitter is she was very vocal about him being loyal to the team during the coaching change.

Agreed about Cardwell over Whittington. And I do think favorites are being shown personally. But it is what it is.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Lanning addressed it in his press conference today (and Cardwell's mom has replied on Twitter):
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Loved Cardwell last season, and would love to see more of him. But nobody knows if he is having issues. Those being in the classroom, not in the film room regularly, showing up on time to meetings, etc. There could be myriad reasons, and maybe it is just health. Coaches will always have favorites, but it is incumbent on each player (if they have aspirations beyond college), to make themselves a favorite, and stay out of the HC’s doghouse. Not insinuating anything, but it could be a plethora of things off the field as to why his PT has been reduced.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

greenyellow wrote:Lanning addressed it in his press conference today (and Cardwell's mom has replied on Twitter):
What did she say?

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

lmduck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Lanning addressed it in his press conference today (and Cardwell's mom has replied on Twitter):
What did she say?