2023 Starting QB (Poll)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Assuming Bo Nix leaves, what should Oregon do at QB?

Ty Thompson/Jay Butterfield look like 'the guy,' go with them
24%
Dante Moore is a 5* and should be prepared to start
33%
Bring in a transfer QB to increase the competition
24%
Bring in a transfer QB to be 'the guy'
20%

Total votes: 46
SuperDuck
Senior

Re: 2023 Starting QB (Poll)

Post by SuperDuck »

73duck wrote:I don't think you guys are factoring in the probability of an injury. A true freshman plus whoever doesn't transfer out is not much of a QB room if someone gets hurt. History shows that Oregon gets its pick of top-quality transfers.
Agreed.

Another consideration with Bo Nix and where he'd go in the NFL draft is the systems he's played in. He's done well in his second season under Dillingham and there's an obvious connection there.

The things to consider is that he played well his first year at Auburn against SEC defenses (and us), but was pretty average after Dillingham left. Now he's doing well again at Oregon. He had decent talent around him that year at Auburn, as he does now at Oregon.

So a few things to consider are years 2-3 at Auburn, as well as the fact that this Oregon team has one of the best O-Line's in the country.

He also won't be asked to run nearly as much in the NFL, so he'll be forced to stay in the pocket, go through his progressions and only run if the pocket breaks down.

We've seen "good Bo" under pressure since the EWU game. However, that wasn't the case in years 2-3 at Auburn.

One good year at Oregon may help him but it's hard to say how much. Again, he's had great protection and skilled players around him.

I look at players now like Trey Lance, who struggled before getting injured, though he showed some flashes of brilliance last year, as well as Justin Fields, Baker Mayfield, etc.

If Nix is drafted in the mid-late rounds as a project that can be brought in and sit behind an established QB for awhile, in a system that's a good fit for him, for a team who has a decent O-Line, etc...

...I guess we can draw our own conclusions.

I think a second year at Oregon, where he doesn't have that great O-Line, would be more telling. Then again, you run the risk of injury by staying.

Time will tell.

By the way, I voted to bring in a proven transfer. If TT or BB were ready to play Nix wouldn't have been brought in. Better to have a good QB in place and a talented backup on the bench. I'll take "proven" talent over "potential" anytime. Add game experience to that and there's little question.

My two bits.
John 3:36
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

NO MORE TRANSFERS!!!!!! Start Moore
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Let’s hope Nix returns. He has a lot of negative to fix, and I’m not sure one good year will get him drafted any higher that the 5th round.
What do you think he needs to fix?

- He evades pressure at a high level (zero sacks taken)
- Is mobile
- Goes through progressions
- Good throwing motion
- Solid footwork
- Strong arm
- Leads his receivers and throws them open as opposed to just throwing in their vicinity

He has the bad throw against UGA where he didn't see the safety and the pick-6 against Wazzu where he didn't see the LB. Every QB has those plays. He's 72% for the year and 80% passing outside of UGA. He has been arguably a top 10 QB in all of CFB this year
He had 3 bad throws against UGA and the one that didn't get intercepted is the one that shows why he's not viewed as a potential Starting NFL QB. He had Cota in the 3rd Quarter and he lofted the ball up in the air which allowed for the Safety to close and break the play up. Throw it on a rope and Cota has time to make the catch and either brace for the hit or make a move to avoid the Safety and score.

In many ways he reminds me of Kellen Clemens who has most of the tools you want but just doesn't seem to have enough arm to go from QB2 to Franchise QB. To that end, Nix seems far more poised to make more NIL $ returning than he would in a first year contract in the NFL while also continuing to refine his skills, work under center more to be more prepared if the NFL is something he does desire.
webfoots2001
Two Star Recruit

Post by webfoots2001 »

Duck07 wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Let’s hope Nix returns. He has a lot of negative to fix, and I’m not sure one good year will get him drafted any higher that the 5th round.
What do you think he needs to fix?

- He evades pressure at a high level (zero sacks taken)
- Is mobile
- Goes through progressions
- Good throwing motion
- Solid footwork
- Strong arm
- Leads his receivers and throws them open as opposed to just throwing in their vicinity

He has the bad throw against UGA where he didn't see the safety and the pick-6 against Wazzu where he didn't see the LB. Every QB has those plays. He's 72% for the year and 80% passing outside of UGA. He has been arguably a top 10 QB in all of CFB this year
He had 3 bad throws against UGA and the one that didn't get intercepted is the one that shows why he's not viewed as a potential Starting NFL QB. He had Cota in the 3rd Quarter and he lofted the ball up in the air which allowed for the Safety to close and break the play up. Throw it on a rope and Cota has time to make the catch and either brace for the hit or make a move to avoid the Safety and score.

In many ways he reminds me of Kellen Clemens who has most of the tools you want but just doesn't seem to have enough arm to go from QB2 to Franchise QB. To that end, Nix seems far more poised to make more NIL $ returning than he would in a first year contract in the NFL while also continuing to refine his skills, work under center more to be more prepared if the NFL is something he does desire.
Did you only watch the Georgia game? I don’t think Nix has much of an NFL future but his play against BYU and WSU can’t be ignored.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

webfoots2001 wrote:Did you only watch the Georgia game? I don’t think Nix has much of an NFL future but his play against BYU and WSU can’t be ignored.
Nix is having his best 4-game stretch as a passer in his career and I'm not trying to complain about the UGA game but when you grade a guy for the NFL its a lot like how MLB Scouts grade the 5 Tools of 16/17 year olds vs grown men in the MLB. The average starting NFL QB looks something between David Carr and Baker Mayfield.

He's doing a lot of things to like and let's let the season play out, but I think his NFL Ceiling is what it is and that if he continues to have a solid year and comes back that he could certainly raise his floor and help himself stick in the league as a potential fringe starter/solid backup. This thread will come down to what he decides to do but I don't think its a question as to whether he would make more $ by staying for 1 more year than being even a 2nd round draft pick.
webfoots2001
Two Star Recruit

Post by webfoots2001 »

Duck07 wrote:
webfoots2001 wrote:Did you only watch the Georgia game? I don’t think Nix has much of an NFL future but his play against BYU and WSU can’t be ignored.
Nix is having his best 4-game stretch as a passer in his career and I'm not trying to complain about the UGA game but when you grade a guy for the NFL its a lot like how MLB Scouts grade the 5 Tools of 16/17 year olds vs grown men in the MLB. The average starting NFL QB looks something between David Carr and Baker Mayfield.

He's doing a lot of things to like and let's let the season play out, but I think his NFL Ceiling is what it is and that if he continues to have a solid year and comes back that he could certainly raise his floor and help himself stick in the league as a potential fringe starter/solid backup. This thread will come down to what he decides to do but I don't think its a question as to whether he would make more $ by staying for 1 more year than being even a 2nd round draft pick.
While I agree that another year could help Nix be more NFL ready, NFL executives have shown over and over they are willing to take the gamble on a QB with one great season and positive measurables.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Every time TT comes in things just go to hell. Not a coincidence anymore. He just ain't got what it takes and his sideline demeanor after bad plays on the field makes me scratch my head.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Only 11 people were on team Thompson/Butters, but should I do a new poll after last night's performance?
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

nogerO wrote:Every time TT comes in things just go to hell. Not a coincidence anymore. He just ain't got what it takes and his sideline demeanor after bad plays on the field makes me scratch my head.
Yes, my new question is: "is Butterfield really that bad"? It's pretty hard to do much worse than 1/5, 1 INT, for a QBR of a solid 0.1 (per espn).

I know the sample size is small but he didn't do much better against BYU either. Really makes me scared if Nix goes down to injury for whatever reason.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I wonder if TT can play safety or LB? Because he isn’t a QB.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:Only 11 people were on team Thompson/Butters, but should I do a new poll after last night's performance?
I'm still of the mindset that Bo returning while Moore and the other QBs continue to learn the system and get reps is the most ideal option for us.

If Bo does forgo his final year of eligibility than I'm on board with letting Moore and the other QBs take a learning year. We start with vs PSU, @ Texas Tech and vs Hawaii so it isn't a brutal OOC schedule by any stretch to start next season
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Judging Bo deep passes this year, I don’t think he has a NFL arm. He should come back, but I won’t be shocked if he doesn’t.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

buckmarkduck wrote:I wonder if TT can play safety or LB? Because he isn’t a QB.
Agreed. At this point bring in Butterfield he can’t do any worse than TT.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

That was hard to watch last night… I don’t see it with him but I’m certainly rooting for him. He looks like he doesn’t even want to be out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

nogerO wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:I wonder if TT can play safety or LB? Because he isn’t a QB.
Agreed. At this point bring in Butterfield he can’t do any worse than TT.
X3, looks like previous coaches knew what they were dealing with, at this point I would lie to see more Butterfield. I now hope Bo sticks around for another year.