Dan Lanning not pleased after the game - “Shout”

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Dan Lanning not pleased after the game - “Shout”

Post by bdkipe »

After FS1 signed off, I went to bed listening to the post game radio show Jorgy had Coach Lanning on right after he addressed the team in the locker room. Lanning was VERY hoarse. I’m going to assume a “mild ass-chewing” was given. That game was more reflective of the 31-3 score than the 45-27 final score and I’m sure he was furious about the lack of focus & detail at the end, even though we got the backups and young guys reps.

It’s clear from everything we’ve seen and heard so far, whether it’s him being mic’d up or interviews with players, Lanning has established that he truly cares about his kids and they trust that he does want the best for them.

When a coach who has established that trust with his players takes something away from them (dancing during “Shout!”) it probably carries a bit more weight with the players than a grumpy red-ass personality like a Saban just doing it to be an A$$hole.

I have ZERO problem with him turning into the Reverend Shaw Moore for a night.

Any of us who have been parents, coached above a rec level, or has read Coach Wooden knows you have to stay on top of keeping kids focused, level and moving forward. Not too high yet not too low. Put your arms around them at their worst moments and keep them humble/hungry & grounded when everything is seemingly going right.

- He kept Nix’s confidence headed in the right direction by not yanking him during the Georgia blowout
- He’s now setting the tone that attention to detail, improvement and FINISHING need to happen, even during our own blowouts

Finally, I’d like to remind everyone that Coach Lanning is a lot closer to the player’s age, has a teaching degree and has his own young kids so I’m confident he’s pretty in tune with what to do to get through to young men.
greenyellow

Re: Dan Lanning not pleased after the game - “Shout”

Post by greenyellow »

It does seem that the players will have to earn the "Shout" dancing back. Wouldn't be surprised if they limit it to just jumping up and down and towel waving instead of the full on dancing they used to do.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Am I the only one who hates "Shout"? Its so 1966. I'm 51 and wasn't even alive when this song was popular. Seriously. Can't we upgrade our song?

Jump Around just OWNS us...........

squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

QuackininBama wrote:Am I the only one who hates "Shout"? Its so 1966. I'm 51 and wasn't even alive when this song was popular. Seriously. Can't we upgrade our song?

Let's tell Boston to stop playing Sweet Caroline while we're at it. You shut your filthy mouth.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

squintsdd wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:Am I the only one who hates "Shout"? Its so 1966. I'm 51 and wasn't even alive when this song was popular. Seriously. Can't we upgrade our song?

Let's tell Boston to stop playing Sweet Caroline while we're at it. You shut your filthy mouth.
It is what is it, Shout sucks.
The recording took place on July 29, 1959, with Hugo and Luigi choosing the studio musicians and the Isley Brothers inviting organist Herman Stephens. Released in August 1959,
Difference between Jul 2, 1959 and Oct 2, 2022:

63 years 3 months 0 days
or 759 months 0 days
or 3300 weeks 3 days
or 23103 calendar days

Seriously?
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

good music is ageless
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

SHOUT has been a wonderful addition to the Autzen experience ... I do like seeing the players dance with the crowd in-between quarters but if they aren't playing well into the 4th I understand what Lanning is doing.

Also, I do miss the Swag Surf (student section actually got loud and involved!) but that was the Taggert era so I get why it went away.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

No actually its not. How many 18 year olds are into "shout"?

It would take months to figure this out but seriously, our music is literally what, 50 years old? Why can't we update it?

What about this for intro music:
Last edited by QuackininBama on Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Shout is fantastic and it's relevant to UofO. It's fun. Easy to dance to. Would be awful to replace it with some throwaway song.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

pezsez1 wrote:Shout is fantastic and it's relevant to UofO. It's fun. Easy to dance to. Would be awful to replace it with some throwaway song.
Name me ONE high school student in the entire world who knows the song "Shout" and I will agree with you.
webfoots2001
Two Star Recruit

Post by webfoots2001 »

QuackininBama wrote:No actually its not. How many 18 year olds are into "shout"?

It would take months to figure this out but seriously, our music is literally what, 50 years old? Why can't we update it?

The entire student section is into Shout at the end of the 3rd quarter and that’s all that matters.

The real energy should be to get rid of the dumb Coming Home song.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

QuackininBama wrote:
squintsdd wrote:

It is what is it, Shout sucks.
The recording took place on July 29, 1959, with Hugo and Luigi choosing the studio musicians and the Isley Brothers inviting organist Herman Stephens. Released in August 1959,
Difference between Jul 2, 1959 and Oct 2, 2022:

63 years 3 months 0 days
or 759 months 0 days
or 3300 weeks 3 days
or 23103 calendar days

Seriously?
Chopin is rolling in his grave and Beethoven is face-palming.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

A 50-year-old dude trying to get Shout replaced with Three 6 Mafia is what makes online forums electric. Just an incredible, awful idea.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Tray Dub wrote:A 50-year-old dude trying to get Shout replaced with Three 6 Mafia is what makes online forums electric. Just an incredible, awful idea.
Bahahaha this thread is amazing.

Shout is perfect because it does exactly what it’s meant to: gets the crowd and team HYPED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Post by spacefrog13x »

webfoots2001 wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:No actually its not. How many 18 year olds are into "shout"?

The entire student section is into Shout at the end of the 3rd quarter and that’s all that matters.

The real energy should be to get rid of the dumb Coming Home song.
This. That country music song is embarrassing.