Do we still have bragging rights over Tennessee?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Do we still have bragging rights over Tennessee?

Post by duck023 »

Oregon is sort of known for not winning against the big SEC teams but Oregon has beaten one SEC team twice by a wide margin. That is Tennessee who has looked like the best team in the SEC. Tennessee beat Alabama and destroyed LSU at LSU almost as badly as Georgia beat Oregon in a stadium made for Georgia.
Duck07
All-American

Re: Do we still have bragging rights over Tennessee?

Post by Duck07 »

Are you asking if a win over a decade ago would decide a playoff seeding argument in 2022?
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Duck07 wrote:Are you asking if a win over a decade ago would decide a playoff seeding argument in 2022?
I think the obvious answer is yes.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Duck07 wrote:Are you asking if a win over a decade ago would decide a playoff seeding argument in 2022?
Not playoff seeding but over the years Duck fans have had to hear a lot about the losses against Auburn and LSU. Except for the loss against our current starting quarterback those games were a decade ago.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Who won the last time we played? In Tennessee? Finito.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duck023 wrote:
Not playoff seeding but over the years Duck fans have had to hear a lot about the losses against Auburn and LSU. Except for the loss against our current starting quarterback those games were a decade ago.
I would think that UT (and UMich) fans would be wise to not talk trash about the Ducks considering the results of the last games in Autzen, Neyland and the Big House.

That said, if UT fans are trying to dog Oregon right now then the obvious reply is that they're clearly afraid of losing to UGA as well otherwise they'd be smart enough to know an undefeated SEC champ is in which would make their worry moot.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Duck07 wrote:
duck023 wrote:
I would think that UT (and UMich) fans would be wise to not talk trash about the Ducks considering the results of the last games in Autzen, Neyland and the Big House.

That said, if UT fans are trying to dog Oregon right now then the obvious reply is that they're clearly afraid of losing to UGA as well otherwise they'd be smart enough to know an undefeated SEC champ is in which would make their worry moot.
I agree, one thing I forgot to mention is a lot of SEC fans would be like, "Oregon can't beat an SEC team" and then when you bring up Tennessee they say, "well that is just Tennessee." The weird thing is they also did that when LSU lost to UCLA saying, "it's just LSU on a down year." However that was an 8-4 UCLA team that lost to Fresno State and that LSU team wasn't as bad as they were making it out to be because they beat Alabama the next year. Yet they use one of the best LSU teams ever to brag about beating Oregon when DeAnthony fumbled the ball 3 times. It's like if you don't beat an undefeated SEC team than it doesn't count or something.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

First, last year's LSU team was a complete dumpster fire. We finished dead last in the West. I can't even remember the last time we placed last. Has to be pre-Nick. Coach O was falling apart in a midlife crisis hanging out at kid soccer games and chasing ass instead of coaching. By the end of the year, we finished the season playing a bowl with about 39 scholarship players left on the team and a Wide Receiver playing quarter back for the first time since his senior year in high school back in 2016. Props to UCLA, they did when, but we did suck. The team this year is completely different with a good amount of freshman starters and transfers players.

Second, the year y'all beat Tennessee they won a total of two SEC games, South Carolina, and Kentucky. They were nowhere near the team they are now. Again, props to the Ducks for going on the road and playing in a ruff environment and leaving with a win. However that was a terrible Tennessee team and it wasn't like you took out a Ranked SEC team. Fun fact, Mizzou won the East division in 2013 and South Carolina came in second with Vandy coming in third! Crazy year for the conference.

With all that said, looking at today's Tennessee and bragging you beat them 11 years when they were hot trash would be like Louisiana Monroe thumping their chest every time BAMA wins a championship because they beat BAMA Nick's first year. So yeah, normal fan thing to do. :D
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Tennessee actually won 3 SEC games the year Oregon beat them at Neyland (2010). Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky. In 2013, Tennessee played here and also lost a lop-sided affair, but then later beat a South Carolina team that finished the season ranked #4 in both polls. The Volunteers were not a great team, but they weren't the conference doormat either.

In any case, I agree with the notion that 'bragging rights' 10 years later is dumb. Oregon vs. Tennessee would be a good game this year, and I would not expect Oregon to curb-stomp the Volunteers the way they did those other two times. It could even be a close enough match that shady refereeing would be required for the SEC team to win, like what happened in the championship game with Auburn.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

My bad! I had in my head they went to you in 2010 and then played home in 2013.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

We do not until we beat them again