#24 Washington @ #6 Oregon (Nov. 12, Sat 4 PM Fox)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: #24 Washington @ #6 Oregon (Nov. 12, Sat 4 PM Fox)

Post by OregonFan4Life »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Hythloday1 pointed out in his film review that on all those 9-10 yard outs we were playing it in a way that makes the WR unguardable. Pretty disappointing that the defensive staff never made an adjustment and let UW have that play all game long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve also been hearing Tosh isn’t the best playcaller and Lanning may take that over temporarily. I was bummed the defensive coaching staff didn’t find a way to make Penix uncomfortable, 0 sacks I believe and was rarely hurried. I know KT was a huge loss but felt that between the DLine and LB’s there is enough talent to be able to pressure Penix, especially with UW’s OLine. Defense is undeperforming this season and coaching seems to be part of the reason.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:Hythloday1 pointed out in his film review that on all those 9-10 yard outs we were playing it in a way that makes the WR unguardable. Pretty disappointing that the defensive staff never made an adjustment and let UW have that play all game long.

I’ve also been hearing Tosh isn’t the best playcaller and Lanning may take that over temporarily. I was bummed the defensive coaching staff didn’t find a way to make Penix uncomfortable, 0 sacks I believe and was rarely hurried. I know KT was a huge loss but felt that between the DLine and LB’s there is enough talent to be able to pressure Penix, especially with UW’s OLine. Defense is undeperforming this season and coaching seems to be part of the reason.
I don’t think there really is, our edge players are not pass rushers. A guy like Thibs that generates consistent disruption would do wonders for this defense. Is Tosh a defensive version of Dillingham? Doesn’t seem like it but between him and Lanning we should be just fine from a coaching perspective.
webfoots2001
Two Star Recruit

Post by webfoots2001 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:

“I’ve been hearing” has come up quite often lately.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Part of the issue is that they're recruited players for three different DC's systems (Avalos, DeRuyter, and now, Lupoi.) It's going to take a couple more years before they've got the players to run their intended system.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Being a big defense oriented coach, i wonder how much of the defense play calling, adjustments, and planning and schemes is lanning and how much is tosh. I also wonder who’s defensive system it is?
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

I don’t think there really is, our edge players are not pass rushers. A guy like Thibs that generates consistent disruption would do wonders for this defense. Is Tosh a defensive version of Dillingham? Doesn’t seem like it but between him and Lanning we should be just fine from a coaching perspective.
Agree- it just appears that right now they (Lanning and Lupoi) don't have the right type of people for their schemes. They knew this coming in. Lanning knew when he was interviewing that the defense needed a lot of work. He knew it was just not that they needed to install a new scheme, he knew he needed more and different bodies than what he has now.

Again, not to speak ill of the departed but Mario and Salavea were not successful in recruiting for the DL.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

How bad is our defense?

https://duckswire.usatoday.com/lists/wh ... s-huskies/

I shudder to think what it will be after Utah and OSewe...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

nogerO wrote:How bad is our defense?

You do realize the strength of Utah and OS play into the strength of our defense right?
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

Duck07 wrote:

You do realize the strength of Utah and OS play into the strength of our defense right?
This ^^^^^^^^^
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

One of the most painful, agonizing losses.
It's crazy to me how many times we would be on the brink of a BCS title game or CFB Playoff invite, only to lose one random game in November.
Especially painful here against these rivals and at home and a chance to win but didn't happen.
Harrington's famous postgame emotions after "that loss" I think really embodies how the fan base feels in these type of seasons.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Duck07 wrote:

And you don't think both of these teams will be throwing the ball all over the field against us? Utah has probably installed a whole new package of play action pass plays to their tight ends and backs out of the backfield to use against our weakness, our linebackers over aggressiveness and inability in pass coverage. Teams, those with smart coaches will adjust to what they see on video of the opposing defense. Both of these teams' coaches are pretty smart cookies. Jus sayin...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

nogerO wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

And you don't think both of these teams will be throwing the ball all over the field against us? Utah has probably installed a whole new package of play action pass plays to their tight ends and backs out of the backfield to use against our weakness, our linebackers over aggressiveness and inability in pass coverage. Teams, those with smart coaches will adjust to what they see on video of the opposing defense. Both of these teams' coaches are pretty smart cookies. Jus sayin...
Doesn’t matter if they have the smartest coaches in the world if they don’t have the players. Utah is seriously lacking in quality skill players and OS doesn’t have a power 5 worthy QB on their roster. Also, there’s a huge difference between installing a new package and a new offense. Utah and OS are what they are at this point in the season.

I’m sure Utah will take advantage of our defensive deficiencies but they don’t have an offense or the players that could do what UW did.

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
nogerO wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

Doesn’t matter if they have the smartest coaches in the world if they don’t have the players. Utah is seriously lacking in quality skill players and OS doesn’t have a power 5 worthy QB on their roster. Also, there’s a huge difference between installing a new package and a new offense. Utah and OS are what they are at this point in the season.

I’m sure Utah will take advantage of our defensive deficiencies but they don’t have an offense or the players that could do what UW did.

Utah has a better qb and also I didn't hear anything about Washington being a jaggernaut offense before they played Oregon.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

duck023 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
nogerO wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

Utah has a better qb and also I didn't hear anything about Washington being a jaggernaut offense before they played Oregon.
They’ve had the #1 passing offense in the country all season. Rising is hurt and inconsistent. Nowhere close to what Penix can do through the air.

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Penix IMO has the best arm in the conference, don’t think he’s necessarily the best overall QB in the conference (though there’s an argument to be made) but he does have the most accuracy with his throws.