#10 Utah @ #12 Oregon (Nov. 19, Sat 7:30 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Re: #10 Utah @ #12 Oregon (Nov. 19, Sat 7:30 PM ESPN)

Post by duck023 »

Lanning and Dillingham had me nervous with that first play call out of the 2nd Half. However, this was a huge bounce back win for Oregon. I feel like Georgia is the only game where I've noticed the other team on the field. It seems like Oregon played against themselves when they struggled at Washington St or the Washington game they lost. Same thing in this game. Utah's run defense was great but other than that I sort of forgot Oregon was playing a top 10 team and it was more about Oregon not beating themselves.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

snapt
Four Star Recruit

Post by snapt »

Was Lanning helping Tosh call defensive plays? Certainly looked like it at times. Whatever it was, it worked. Strong showing by the D.
BOOF it!
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

snapt wrote:Was Lanning helping Tosh call defensive plays? Certainly looked like it at times. Whatever it was, it worked. Strong showing by the D.
I mentioned rumors that Lanning was taking defensive playcalling duties from Tosh, which some laughed at, but Lanning was asked about that during the postgame interview and he just totally ignored it and responded how it was a team effort, which leads me to believe there was at least some truth to it. I just wish the defensive playcalling was that aggressive against Washington, if it was maybe they make Pennix uncomfortable at times.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
snapt wrote:Was Lanning helping Tosh call defensive plays? Certainly looked like it at times. Whatever it was, it worked. Strong showing by the D.
I mentioned rumors that Lanning was taking defensive playcalling duties from Tosh, which some laughed at, but Lanning was asked about that during the postgame interview and he just totally ignored it and responded how it was a team effort, which leads me to believe there was at least some truth to it. I just wish the defensive playcalling was that aggressive against Washington, if it was maybe they make Pennix uncomfortable at times.
I too heard Lanning would be helping with the defensive play calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

I have only one huge issue with this coaching staff. I’m so disappointed that they continue to allow TT on the field. That one play where he f****d up a simple play that the Utes scored on, sums up his inability to play football at this level. I’m surprised someone in the media hasn’t pressed Lanning about this? Turnover Time Thompson is completely inept. I’m as convinced of this as I always was about crystalballz. Convince me I’m wrong.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
chapelhillduck wrote:Lanning with an awesome last answer at the press conference:

Q: “what’s Bo gonna do the next 48 hours to recover?”

Lanning: “I’m gonna let Kris Hudson answer that one”

How do you not love Lanning? Dude is so real and cool.

And a damn good football coach. My only outstanding questions are how does he deal with staff turnover and can he recruit at an elite level or just a really good level.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

StevensTechU wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
chapelhillduck wrote:Lanning with an awesome last answer at the press conference:

And a damn good football coach. My only outstanding questions are how does he deal with staff turnover and can he recruit at an elite level or just a really good level.
Agreed. Unfortunately we may find that out sooner than later. Sounds like Dilly is ASU’s top target.

lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:

I think he'll recruit at an elite level even more so than his predecessor and the even bigger thing, he'll be able to coach 'em up.

Staff turnover is always a challenge but he'll find the right people. Nature of the beast IMO.

lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:

Agreed. Unfortunately we may find that out sooner than later. Sounds like Dilly is ASU’s top target.

Jim Mora and Harsin are ASU's top targets.

wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

DuckBomb2 wrote:
duck023 wrote:Lanning doesn't understand situational coaching. I noticed it in the Cal game. When you are up 17-3 with a hurt QB you don't do the play most likely to cause a turnover.
Yeah, this. It's pardonable to call a trick play now and then. But not with the turnover prone backup.
For everybody bagging on Ty, that turnover didn't look like his fault to me. Thornton just mishandled it.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

wlduck wrote:
DuckBomb2 wrote:
duck023 wrote:Lanning doesn't understand situational coaching. I noticed it in the Cal game. When you are up 17-3 with a hurt QB you don't do the play most likely to cause a turnover.
Yeah, this. It's pardonable to call a trick play now and then. But not with the turnover prone backup.
For everybody bagging on Ty, that turnover didn't look like his fault to me. Thornton just mishandled it.
The fumble wasn't Ty's fault. I agree.

...But he is cursed, so I don't know how that factors in.