Bias Announcers/Journalists?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

hslack
One Star Recruit

Post by hslack »

Relatively young duck fan here,

It seems like Oregon certainly has their fair share for critics in the college football world but my question is. Who are some of the journalists around the program/announcers on tv to watch out for? I know Rod Gilmore seems to decide against the ducks a lot but I was wondering if there are any other journalists who's word should be taken with a grain of salt? I see a lot of info surrounding the program on twitter from various people, just wondering if there are specific people who tend to be biased or spread false info. Thanks.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Bias Announcers/Journalists?

Post by OregonFan4Life »

David Pollack, he seems to pick against the Ducks the most.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

By and large the national media loves Oregon l.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

OregonFan4Life wrote:David Pollack, he seems to pick against the Ducks the most.
Pollack loves him sum SEC. He get annoyed if anyone talks about any team outside of the SEC. IF it was up to him, every single year the playoffs would be 4 SEC teams, and no one else.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

This topic is an interesting one and one that I think every fan base ruminates on.
If you talk to OS fans , they think the Ducks get too much coverage in Oregon in general.

There are certainly some who are biased and Pollack comes to mind. Gilmore falls into the same category.

I try to keep in mind that these TV and print people are in the entertainment business now. They want quick hits and attention paid to their websites or TV programs or their publication because people paying attention generates advertising revenue . So I honestly think they work at doing and saying things that get people talking, listening, watching and reading. There is no better local example than John Canzano. He is the master of saying and writing things that get people talking and listening whether it's about the Blazers, Ducks or Beavers. I am not sure he even thinks or believes some of the stuff he writes or says but, it gets people's attention so mission accomplished

My long winded two cents on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

When it comes to Oregon Paul Finebaum is the worst. He seems like a funny old guy when he is talking about the SEC and teams he likes but whenever Oregon comes up in the conversation, he is almost like a different person he becomes an absolute prick.

Also an underrated one that Duck fans might not realize because it is under the radar but Reese Davis. I feel like there is a different energy when Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit and Lee Corso talk about the Ducks than Reese Davis. Chris Fowler seems to have some respect for the Ducks, but Reese Davis is very dismissive of them whenever they come up.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

It seems like Oregon certainly has their fair share for critics in the college football world but my question is. Who are some of the journalists around the program/announcers on tv to watch out for?
Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News might be the most clear-eyed Pac-12 beat writer. He's less of a source for Oregon football and more for things like conference relalignment, overall conference power rankings, etc.

People here tend to hate John Canzano, but he recently launched his own column (not attached to The Oregonian or Oregonlive.com) and so far he's churning out great content. Again, he isn't Duck-specific, but he covers lots of broader topics that definitely add context to our corner of the college football landscape.

I'm not sure there are any great Oregon football beat writers though. Rob Moseley of The Register Guard used to be that guy, but then he went to work for GoDucks.com and now he's just a mouthpiece. (Not a criticism, I'm sure he gets paid handsomely and that it's a great job, but it is what it is.)

I also enjoy listening to 1080 The Fan in the mornings. Some good Duck stuff there. Neither of them are really in the know, but they host interesting interviews and at least they talk Ducks and Beavers.

Comprehensive local sports coverage seems to be one of the many unfortunate casualties of the decline of local newspapers.
Willie Taggart is a dick.