Civil War: #10 Oregon @ #22 OSU (Nov. 26, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Civil War: #10 Oregon @ #22 OSU (Nov. 26, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Post by StevensTechU »

Here we go. For many of the marbles.
Last edited by StevensTechU on Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Civil War (Nov. 26, time TBD)

Post by OregonFan4Life »

If Oregon can beat Utah with a banged up Nix they can beat a weaker version of Utah in the Beavs.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Re: Civil War: #12 Oregon @ #25 Oregon State (Nov. 26, time

Post by chapelhillduck »

LFG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

If our defense shows up like they did yesterday, Oregon will win. If not, tossup.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:If our defense shows up like they did yesterday, Oregon will win. If not, tossup.
If Nix can pull it every once in a while it will help too

pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

Hoping for an earlier kickoff so the entire country can watch this game.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

chapelhillduck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:If our defense shows up like they did yesterday, Oregon will win. If not, tossup.
If Nix can pull it every once in a while it will help too

Even for things like that pull on the read option. It'll keep the defense at least a little honest.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Kickoff is 12:30 PT, game is on ABC. Haven't seen a spread yet.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'd be careful about calling OSU a weaker version of Utah. The Beavers play great at home and that D is legit. Their offense seems to be more on track than it was earlier in the season with Nolan throwing picks.

I do think the Ducks should win, but this won't be a cakewalk, and Nix needs to have at least some of his mobility back or we might struggle mightily to move the ball.

Also, let's hope Dilly stops getting cute with the playcalling. It's hardly ever necessary and seems to result most often in turnovers/lost yardage.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Thank you Steve for calling it what it is, the “Civil War”. Agreed do not underestimate the Beavers, 8-3 so far, they have a good true freshman RB, it will be senior day and played in Corvallis……. They are pretty good and hungry and both teams are always up for THE CIVIL WAR! 38-14 Ducks.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

Alan wrote:Thank you Steve for calling it what it is, the “Civil War”. Agreed do not underestimate the Beavers, 8-3 so far, they have a good true freshman RB, it will be senior day and played in Corvallis……. They are pretty good and hungry and both teams are always up for THE CIVIL WAR! 38-14 Ducks.
Agreed. The California refugees moving up here in droves do not get to dictate what native Oregonians call our rivalry game.

I think this will be a close game, where we win it with Bo throwing a game winning TD.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Yeah, the game is in a weird place name-wise. Most of my friends don't care what the game is called. At the same time, until a new name is chosen, we all still call it the Civil War.

It is what it is until it's actually something else.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I don’t mind changing outdated/insensitive names if it’s for a good reason but the Civil War name change is based on a real ignorance of the meaning of the word and world history. And it kills me that it was former ducks who started the whole thing.

As for the game, this is going to be a dog fight. The beavs get up more for this game than we do and it makes a difference. And obviously, if Nix is still a gimp it severely limits what we can do against the best D in the conference. Thankfully their offense is a good matchup for our D, similar to Utah’s was. They struggle to pass and really want to run the ball. Smith is a better offensive mind though so they’ll attack us smarter than Utah did. If we make a bunch mistakes and lose the TO battle we’ll be in trouble.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I don’t mind changing outdated/insensitive names if it’s for a good reason but the Civil War name change is based on a real ignorance of the meaning of the word and world history. And it kills me that it was former ducks who started the whole thing..
The Civil War was not so much about slavery, although the abolishment of slavery was a huge part or result of the war, president Lincoln was against slavery but more so the expansion of slavery……. He did approve a law for Missouri to allow slavery. The Civil War, in the larger part was about the South catching up with the North in industrial technology, the north had become industrialized while the fat cats of the south depended on Slaves, they had unpaid labor and crops needed in the north so they fought change. Just history, not saying anything else.

I do not mind naming Akili Smith as the ex Duck who decided to spearhead the change of the name of the 100+ year tradition because he felt it was racist……… as a long time fan, to me, it is still the Civil War and always will be, it is not about race or slavery, it is the name of a football game played by U of O and OSU for 100 + years,

My apologies for the tangent, just wanted to provide some history in what tithe actual Civil War was about and I in no way condone racism, by any race, or the inhumane act of slavery. Back to football please….
dthomas=ddixon

Re: #10 Oregon @ #22 Oregon State (Nov. 26, Sat 12:30 PM ABC

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Alan wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:I don’t mind changing outdated/insensitive names if it’s for a good reason but the Civil War name change is based on a real ignorance of the meaning of the word and world history. And it kills me that it was former ducks who started the whole thing..
The Civil War was not so much about slavery, although the abolishment of slavery was a huge part or result of the war, president Lincoln was against slavery but more so the expansion of slavery……. He did approve a law for Missouri to allow slavery. The Civil War, in the larger part was about the South catching up with the North in industrial technology, the north had become industrialized while the fat cats of the south depended on Slaves, they had unpaid labor and crops needed in the north so they fought change. Just history, not saying anything else.

I do not mind naming Akili Smith as the ex Duck who decided to spearhead the change of the name of the 100+ year tradition because he felt it was racist……… as a long time fan, to me, it is still the Civil War and always will be, it is not about race or slavery, it is the name of a football game played by U of O and OSU for 100 + years,

My apologies for the tangent, just wanted to provide some history in what tithe actual Civil War was about and I in no way condone racism, by any race, or the inhumane act of slavery. Back to football please….
I agree that it’s not about race or slavery. And I would take it further; the term “civil war” isn’t exclusively a reference to the American Civil War. Our Civil War is only one of hundreds if not thousands of civil wars to take place in human history.

The word is defined as “a war between political factions or regions within the same country.” Which applies perfectly to this game. And the fact that this has to be explained is what’s so annoying about the name change. It’s a very American thing to forget that there’s a world and history besides ours though so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.