Dillingham talking with ASU about HC job

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Dillingham talking with ASU about HC job

Post by karlhungis »

bellsduck wrote:Any HC worth his own spit isn't gonna want that job so they have to look at coordinators. At that, any of the high level coordinators aren't gonna want that job for the same reason. I guess if they try it with Dillingham then they figure because he's got ASU ties they can get 4-5 years out of him to see them through these next few years that might be tough. And if he surprises and can coach then they made a great hire.
On his side, he can use the fact that they're a dumpster fire as an excuse if it doesn't turn out well and in the meantime make a few million a year.
Has anyone parlayed a few years of dumpster fire coaching into a better job?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

If he does leave. We can hire him back in 3 years when he is fired. ASU job is going to be a very tough job, and they aren’t smart enough or patient enough to give a coach time to turn things around.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:If he does leave. We can hire him back in 3 years when he is fired. ASU job is going to be a very tough job, and they aren’t smart enough or patient enough to give a coach time to turn things around.
If he does leave, do we lose Dante Moore, too?
John 3:36
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

SuperDuck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:If he does leave. We can hire him back in 3 years when he is fired. ASU job is going to be a very tough job, and they aren’t smart enough or patient enough to give a coach time to turn things around.
Its possible, since we'd be needing to hire a new OC in a short-period of time.

That said, I'm still in the camp that it makes sense/$ for Division St to make Bo an offer to return.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

karlhungis wrote:
bellsduck wrote:Any HC worth his own spit isn't gonna want that job so they have to look at coordinators. At that, any of the high level coordinators aren't gonna want that job for the same reason. I guess if they try it with Dillingham then they figure because he's got ASU ties they can get 4-5 years out of him to see them through these next few years that might be tough. And if he surprises and can coach then they made a great hire.
On his side, he can use the fact that they're a dumpster fire as an excuse if it doesn't turn out well and in the meantime make a few million a year.
Has anyone parlayed a few years of dumpster fire coaching into a better job?
I think you could say Bill O'Brien did at Penn State, though his time at Houston didn't go as well in the NFL and he was largely an established NFL OC before that point too.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

SuperDuck wrote:

I’m guessing our nil deal with him was better than he was offered by Michigan or ND. And ASU wouldn’t even be in the ballpark
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Duck07 wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:
Its possible, since we'd be needing to hire a new OC in a short-period of time.

That said, I'm still in the camp that it makes sense/$ for Division St to make Bo an offer to return.
But would Bo return if Dilly wasn't there? His greatest seasons have been playing under Dillingham.

At the end of the day, everyone can be replaced. There are other good OCs out there that would love to coach at Oregon. Still, a change could have a major impact on the QB position. We could go from having Bo back for another year while Moore waits in the wings, or having Bo leave, Moore decommit, and the Ducks being left looking for a new OC and scanning the transfer portal for a proven QB.
John 3:36
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I don’t think there’s any way around it, losing Dillingham after one season would suck. That offense is kind of our identity right now and, until Lanning gets a couple more recruiting classes under his belt, our D isn’t going to carry the team.

It would also put Moore and Dickey very much up in the air. If we made a great hire we probably hang on to Moore but I’d expect Dickey to flip to USC.

With a defensive minded coach your OC is hugely important and hitting the reset button yet again on our offense is going to suck regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Dilly was a complete unknown last year (FSU O was #78) when we hired him. I fully expect Lanning to make another solid hire at OC
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Based on the reactions to JHop's tweets about Dillingham, it certainly sounds like we'll know in the next 24-48 hours whether he accepts ASU's offer but most expect that he's going to take it.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

greenyellow wrote:Based on the reactions to JHop's tweets about Dillingham, it certainly sounds like we'll know in the next 24-48 hours whether he accepts ASU's offer but most expect that he's going to take it.
Has he been offered the job?

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I've seen at least one source/outlet say that the offer will officially come shortly after today's game.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

greenyellow wrote:I've seen at least one source/outlet say that the offer will officially come shortly after today's game.
How come none of the national pundits are commenting on this? Just wondering because usually Feldman weighs in on this stuff and he has very good sources.

whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

New qualification for all coaching hires:
Didn’t graduate from a power 5 school.

So frustrating. Obviously happy Dilly has earned this and that his resume warrants the jump up in the ranks, but dannng.

droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

He’s now officially gone to ASU, so now we have to hope they can hang on to their key offensive recruits, especially Moore. Interested to see where they go for a new OC. I have no idea who the big gets out there would be.