Dillingham talking with ASU about HC job

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Dillingham talking with ASU about HC job

Post by OregonFan4Life »

This one stings, especially with the awful playcalling. I wish him nothing but failure at ASU.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

News basically dropped the second the game was over. I realize it’s the nature of the business but these guys negotiating their next job during the most important part of the season is BS. You owe your coach and players your undecided attention the week of these games. There’s just no way you can do both and it showed today.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:News basically dropped the second the game was over. I realize it’s the nature of the business but these guys negotiating their next job during the most important part of the season is BS. You owe your coach and players your undecided attention the week of these games. There’s just no way you can do both and it showed today.
100%. Several times in the first half, they couldn’t even get through all the pre-snap nonsense Dilly loves before the play clock ran out. And multiple times on offense, they were subbing in players with less than 10 seconds on the play clock. Looked totally unprepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

whosyourwally wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:News basically dropped the second the game was over. I realize it’s the nature of the business but these guys negotiating their next job during the most important part of the season is BS. You owe your coach and players your undecided attention the week of these games. There’s just no way you can do both and it showed today.
100%. Several times in the first half, they couldn’t even get through all the pre-snap nonsense Dilly loves before the play clock ran out. And multiple times on offense, they were subbing in players with less than 10 seconds on the play clock. Looked totally unprepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now I know why Nix was so frustrated, he probably knew. Multiple times he was asking for the play and it was coming late.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

This is horrible news. Im not so bummed of dilly leaving but how it hurts our recruiting class and puts us back a few more years. There is no continuity on staff. Now which staff members jump in the dumpster fire with dilly?

We do not have the depth and established track record on the field, as an Alabama or Georgia or ohio state. They lose coordinators to hc jobs, but still have 5stars lining up to enroll. Its much easier and faster to seamlessly transition to a new coordinator when you have those luxuries, which we don’t yet.

On a career perspective, i think if dilly is satisfied to be in middle of the ground pac12 program and fulfilling his egotisitc 18year old vision of being the youngest coordinator and then youngest coach in p5, then good on him. But its a very foolish move if his aspirations is to win a natty and the hc of a powerhouse program. This move puts him back many years.

As for asu, they are taking a huge risk if they want to turn the program around. Dilly is a creative playcaller but he does not have turning programs around on his resume. I d hate to say it, but even slick has more credibility in that field.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

alxtw wrote: As for asu, they are taking a huge risk if they want to turn the program around. Dilly is a creative playcaller but he does not have turning programs around on his resume. I d hate to say it, but even slick has more credibility in that field.
Let's be honest, ASU isn't trying to turn around their program at the moment. They need a young coach that can recruit, which Dillingham is. If he ends up being successful then that's even better for ASU. If not, well then hopefully he'll have at least recruited well enough to set up the next HC. Right now though, they're not expecting a whole lot out of any coach that comes in.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ordinator/

Sounds like it is basically a done deal, my first reaction is I hope he fails big, I can’t see how the Ducks had his full attention the last few weeks.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Coaching and player movement in-season needs to be addressed. There needs to be a specific period after the season is over to wheel and deal. It's really getting out of hand.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

7 games into the season I would have been devastated to lose Dilly, but he showed some serious flaws against UW and Utah so probably not that big of a loss.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

I’m not sure the fan base will ever be satisfied with an OC if there are complaints about games where the team puts up 34 points and 500 yards. Did he call perfect games? No, but nobody does. He had to adapt on the fly with Nix hobbled, and they put up enough offense to win. The defense was the issue in the 2 conference games lost, not the offense.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

droop10 wrote:I’m not sure the fan base will ever be satisfied with an OC if there are complaints about games where the team puts up 34 points and 500 yards. Did he call perfect games? No, but nobody does. He had to adapt on the fly with Nix hobbled, and they put up enough offense to win. The defense was the issue in the 2 conference games lost, not the offense.
I'm not buying this.

You can sell me that we lost because of the defense or pathetic special teams, but that Goal to Go scenario was some of the dumbest play-calling I've seen.

He wasn't adapting on the fly with a hobbled Nix, he had less prep time because he spent his time talking to ASU and imagining what his Staff would look like. This is just human nature that his focus wasn't 100% and that the players would be distracted because of his distractions.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

DmoneyDuck wrote:Coaching and player movement in-season needs to be addressed. There needs to be a specific period after the season is over to wheel and deal. It's really getting out of hand.
That’s a good idea. Obviously agents and schools will still be making deals but Dillingham had a contract completely worked out and agreed to the week of our rivalry game with a conference championship game berth on the line.

Offensive playcalling didn’t lose us this game but it’s BS that the dudes literally flying to Phoenix tonight. You simply can’t be all in and focused on this game when that’s the case. It’s a disservice to his players and fellow coaches.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Duck07 wrote:
droop10 wrote:I’m not sure the fan base will ever be satisfied with an OC if there are complaints about games where the team puts up 34 points and 500 yards. Did he call perfect games? No, but nobody does. He had to adapt on the fly with Nix hobbled, and they put up enough offense to win. The defense was the issue in the 2 conference games lost, not the offense.
I'm not buying this.

You can sell me that we lost because of the defense or pathetic special teams, but that Goal to Go scenario was some of the dumbest play-calling I've seen.

He wasn't adapting on the fly with a hobbled Nix, he had less prep time because he spent his time talking to ASU and imagining what his Staff would look like. This is just human nature that his focus wasn't 100% and that the players would be distracted because of his distractions.
Agreed^^^

Things like the trick play vs Utah that resulted in a scoop and score. Going for it on our side of the field on 4th down, etc. Lanning has to bear responsibility, as well for that stuff.

Going for it on 4th down is okay as long as it's a short distance to a 1st down and you're on your opponents side of the field. Going for it on our side of the field yesterday was inexcusable.

That said, Lanning is learning on the job and will hopefully avoid risky mistakes in the future.
John 3:36
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I find myself still mad, upset, with Dilly this morning, I compare it to when I owned my own business. I feel Dilly let the team and coaches down and did not commit his full attention to the prep week of the game and probably the games prior to the civil war. Then he jumped a plane to ASU post game to hopefully seal the deal. As a business owner and staf manager I would be anger with that said employee, enough to discipline. At the very least Lanning sould not allow him to OC the Bowl game, if he accepts the job than pack your s*** and get out, if he does not get the job, let him know he has lost trust in him and make him sit out the bowl game and determine his fate during the off season. In short I don’t trust dilly anymore, get rid of him.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »