Dillingham talking with ASU about HC job

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Dillingham talking with ASU about HC job

Post by greenyellow »

As expected, it sounds like ASU has made contact with Kenny Dillingham about their open HC job. With potential sanctions coming and word being they want someone with previous HC experience, it may not be the time for him to move.
rockthief
Senior

Re: Dillingham talking with ASU about HC job

Post by rockthief »

It could be his demise taking that job.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Seems wiser to establish a rep at Oregon with continued success both Coaching and Recruiting and THEN going there after someone else wades through that mess.

Long before we were a Football School, we were a Coaching school. Our Player/Coach Coaching Tree is among the best there is and I earnestly wish him well in the future after a NC and Heisman can be added to his resume!
spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Post by spacefrog13x »

I think a year or two more, then HC at a Mid Major for a couple years, then a Power 5 is the route to take.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

This could be some major subterfuge because the 'word' is this is Jim Mora's job to loose.

And speaking of openings, Harsin is being bandied about for Colorado.

Actually both make sense in many ways. Mora knows the P12 and certainly has west coast recruiting ties. Harsin knows how to recruit in the west as well and certainly has ties from his time at BSU.

We know ASU has issues and there will be some type of punishment from the NCAA. Yes, they cleaned the house of the key players in the recruiting mess so they will certainly play that card with the NCAA in an effort to reduce the severity of possible penalties. Most seem to think they will still get hit with scholly limits though and some recruiting visit limitations for at least a three year period. Similar to what Oregon faced with the Willy Lyles episode. (it seems so distant now)

Colorado on the other hand is a tough one. The board of regents there hates football so whoever takes that job does so knowing its always going to be a tough road to travel but it certainly might be a fit for Harsin. He wanted the UO job when MH was fired and made it pretty well known but he was not interviewed.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

A Power 5 school offering Dillingham a job at this point seems irresponsible. I would definitely wait to see how Dillingham does without a highly experienced senior QB, that happens to have ideal talent and athleticism to run his offense. I know that Dillingham deserves some credit for getting the best out of Bo, but it works both ways. Nobody would be talking about Dillingham being a head coaching candidate if Ty Thompson was our QB this season, and his name will very possibly fall off a lot of lists next year if Bo doesn't return.
spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Post by spacefrog13x »

Barring a transfer, Dante Moore is our QB next year...
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

spacefrog13x wrote:Barring a transfer, Dante Moore is our QB next year...
Assuming Bo doesn't return.

Dante Moore as a freshman is going to be a huge step down from senior Bo, that is for sure. Even when Dante is a senior himself, he won't be able to provide the athleticism component that the Ducks enjoyed this season with a healthy Bo.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

It seems really weird that ASU would look at a candidate that is without college head coach experience after what they just went thru hiring a coach without college head coach experience. One would think they would go the other way.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

spacefrog13x wrote:Barring a transfer, Dante Moore is our QB next year...
The only starting QB's in the PAC who aren't transfers are DTR @ UCLA and Tanner Mckee @ Stanford and Ben Gulbranson @ OSU. So 9 of 12 are transfers and 5 of 6 of the top teams have transfer starters.

The odds are neither Moore or Thompson is the starter next year based on the conference's recent history.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

GrandpaDuck wrote:It seems really weird that ASU would look at a candidate that is without college head coach experience after what they just went thru hiring a coach without college head coach experience. One would think they would go the other way.
I love Dilly but if this is actually the direction they’re going, it’s exactly why they’ve been a mediocre program for so long. Dillingham is a huge risk. Especially at a program that’s going to be digging itself out of a huge hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

This would honestly be a really bad/shortsighted move for both sides. Hopefully Dilly listened to Lanning when he crushed the Auburn rumors and realizes at least two more years at Oregon is the best tint for his career.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Since Helf train wreck nothing would surprise me, but since Dilly is a alumni I am hoping it is just a body to interview with a message of be ready in a few years. In the words of our leader, Eugene is a good place to be, no such a good place to be from…….. the grass is damn green in Eugene!
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:It seems really weird that ASU would look at a candidate that is without college head coach experience after what they just went thru hiring a coach without college head coach experience. One would think they would go the other way.
I love Dilly but if this is actually the direction they’re going, it’s exactly why they’ve been a mediocre program for so long. Dillingham is a huge risk. Especially at a program that’s going to be digging itself out of a huge hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But what do they have to lose at that point? Hire a very average coach (ex. Taggart/Frost/Sumlin) since those are the only candidates that are fairly straight forward to pluck off the market and you already know they'll take 3-4 seasons to just reach an average (5-8 win) season.

Hire a rising star and maybe he turns the program around quickly and you're at least competing in the Pac-12 South by year 2 or 3
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

gogreen55 wrote:A Power 5 school offering Dillingham a job at this point seems irresponsible. I would definitely wait to see how Dillingham does without a highly experienced senior QB, that happens to have ideal talent and athleticism to run his offense. I know that Dillingham deserves some credit for getting the best out of Bo, but it works both ways. Nobody would be talking about Dillingham being a head coaching candidate if Ty Thompson was our QB this season, and his name will very possibly fall off a lot of lists next year if Bo doesn't return.
You've nicely captured things I've felt the same way about for years. There are so many coaches who have cashed 7 figure checks by being credited for the success of a good player(s). The fact that so many fail at their next stop would seem to indicate it has more to do with the player than the coach. Who will have made more off of the playing career of Jameis Winston, Jimbo Fisher or Winston?