Re: Who should Oregon hire at OC?

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Trent Bray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Someone who wants to be here and isn't looking for a promotion. Oregon will now be looking at 4 different OCs in 5 season (Arroyo 2019, Moorehead 2020, 2021, Dillingham 2022, TBD 2023).
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

DmoneyDuck wrote:Someone who wants to be here and isn't looking for a promotion. Oregon will now be looking at 4 different OCs in 5 season (Arroyo 2019, Moorehead 2020, 2021, Dillingham 2022, TBD 2023).
Gone are the days of humility and loyalty. Part of the reason I love Gary Campbell is he knew what he was best at, coaching RB’s, and he was damn good at it. He had OC offers I’m pretty sure but he was smart enough to recognize what he had at Oregon and recognize he was a great RB coach and didn’t want to risk it cause he had arrogant dreams. It seems like no matter who the OC will be, if they have any sort or success they’ll ditch for a desperate mess and years later will regret that decision.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

DmoneyDuck wrote:Someone who wants to be here and isn't looking for a promotion. Oregon will now be looking at 4 different OCs in 5 season (Arroyo 2019, Moorehead 2020, 2021, Dillingham 2022, TBD 2023).
Fact is that our OC spot is a fast-track to a HC gig and has been for a long time. If we go that route about the only name that could work is Helfrich and its been years since he coached.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Someone who is good at calling offensive plays.

Dillingham was that for the first half of the season but then reverted to all our previously mediocre OC's from years past.
DuckBomb2
One Star Recruit

Post by DuckBomb2 »

Scott Frost needs a job and he's probably damaged goods for another big time head coaching gig for awhile.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Someone who is good at calling offensive plays.

Dillingham was that for the first half of the season but then reverted to all our previously mediocre OC's from years past.
I have a feeling he pulled a Mario and was checked out even before the Washington game. Lanning has to be pissed, he stuck it out with Georgia, Dilly should’ve done the same.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Gone are the days of humility and loyalty. Part of the reason I love Gary Campbell is he knew what he was best at, coaching RB’s, and he was damn good at it. He had OC offers I’m pretty sure but he was smart enough to recognize what he had at Oregon and recognize he was a great RB coach and didn’t want to risk it cause he had arrogant dreams. It seems like no matter who the OC will be, if they have any sort or success they’ll ditch for a desperate mess and years later will regret that decision.
Gary is a terrible example to use. His wife won the lottery and his son had serious medical conditions where being a coach trying to move up the ladder wouldn't have been of any benefit to.
dd10snoop28
Senior

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Duck07 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
Gary is a terrible example to use. His wife won the lottery and his son had serious medical conditions where being a coach trying to move up the ladder wouldn't have been of any benefit to.
His wife won the lottery?
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Who in the real world isn’t looking for a promotion? It’s selfish for fans to think a guy shouldn’t take an opportunity to move up in his field, simply because it impacts their team. If it were a lateral move that would be one thing, but I can never fault a guy for wanting to take a promotion. Plus, not only is he getting a shot at a HC gig, but it’s at his Alma mater. Obviously, they’ll have some issues with potential sanctions, but hard to turn down that opportunity.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

droop10 wrote:
Who in the real world isn’t looking for a promotion? It’s selfish for fans to think a guy shouldn’t take an opportunity to move up in his field, simply because it impacts their team. If it were a lateral move that would be one thing, but I can never fault a guy for wanting to take a promotion. Plus, not only is he getting a shot at a HC gig, but it’s at his Alma mater. Obviously, they’ll have some issues with potential sanctions, but hard to turn down that opportunity.
If Dilly stuck it out through the season and called good games I don’t disagree, but it’s how coaches like him and Mario leave that are frustrating. Don’t just check out and call a crap game then ditch after letting the players down, even for one season you owe the program more than that. This will always leave a sour taste in my mouth.
dd10snoop28
Senior

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Ya, I don't think this is a new trend either.... positional coaches haven't stayed at their positions long. Oregon with Greatwood/Azz/Campbell was a huge exception.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

dd10snoop28 wrote: His wife won the lottery?
Yes, one of the players had told me that when I asked about his suit game since it was so legendary.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
droop10 wrote:
If Dilly stuck it out through the season and called good games I don’t disagree, but it’s how coaches like him and Mario leave that are frustrating. Don’t just check out and call a crap game then ditch after letting the players down, even for one season you owe the program more than that. This will always leave a sour taste in my mouth.
He didn’t call a perfect game, but it was plenty good to win. 34 points and 500 yards should be enough to win. There were also plays left on the field as a result of Nix not being able to make some throws he usually is able to make. Dillingham is not the reason they lost the game today.