Who should Oregon hire at OC? - (EDIT) Looks like it’s UTSA OC Will Stein

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Who should Oregon hire at OC?

Post by Duck07 »

pdxduck2013 wrote:I'm not advocating for either of these guys, but it looks like both Chip Long and Eric Kiesau have overlapped with Lanning at some point in their careers. Both guys will be available, as their head coaches got fired this year.

Would be interesting to see Lanning bring in someone like Joe Brady.
With Brady though I think you've got to wait the Bills season out.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

I don’t understand everyone’s fascination with Brady. He wasn’t the play caller at LSU, didn’t show much when he was in the NFL. It’s not like that LSU team did anything innovative. They simply had generational talent on that offense and dominated opponents of sheer talent. Brady might be ok, but I am not as enamored with him as most seem to be.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Brady likely isn't coming back to CFB.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Canzano is back to stirring the pot after the loss, suggesting that the Anti-Phil faction of alumni want Mullens gone.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

Duck07 wrote:Canzano is back to stirring the pot after the loss, suggesting that the Anti-Phil faction of alumni want Mullens gone.
I read that article and you are right, John is right back to his old ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Duck07 wrote:Canzano is back to stirring the pot after the loss, suggesting that the Anti-Phil faction of alumni want Mullens gone.
I have an idea, why doesn’t one of these alumns get into coaching and work their way up the ranks so we can hire them?

If Nix doesn’t hurt his ankle we’re 11-1 one and none of this conversation is happening. Blaming Mullens is asinine.

lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
I have an idea, why doesn’t one of these alumns get into coaching and work their way up the ranks so we can hire them?

If Nix doesn’t hurt his ankle we’re 11-1 one and none of this conversation is happening. Blaming Mullens is asinine.

Agree-

Canzano back to his old tricks. Will never learn somethings are best not shared publicly but again he loves to be the guy ‘everyone’ talks to

droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

If there are any alumni that are anti-Phil or Mullens, get them away from the program. They are idiots and not worth listening to anyway.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Clownzano is a dbag (always has been always will be). I will never read anything that his name on it.
bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Post by bdkipe »

Question for the wiser football minds on here: if you were Coach Lanning, would you kick the tires on Tom Herman? Or is he such a big name that 1-2 years of success here he’s “rehabbed” enough to get another HC job. Might be nice to have another seasoned HC to bounce ideas off of.

Also, I watched Dilly’s press conference and I am not upset at all. I am happy for the guy. Genuine emotion to be back in his hometown, home state, Alma Mater…he was pointing out guys in the room who were at his wedding.

To me this is different than just bouncing for the first opportunity. Even though he had a stated goal of being the youngest HC in a power 5, I don’t think Dilly leaves for any offer. This was special for him.

Its why I never had the vitriol for MC leaving. His mother was dying and his birthplace/hometown/alma mater threw generational wealth at him. There are things more important than Duck Football. Not many (lol) but a few.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Helfrich
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:Helfrich
I can't imagine him being a good fit. He's been out of the game for awhile now. There'd also be a zero chance of him getting a shot at the HC job again.
John 3:36
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

SuperDuck wrote:
I can't imagine him being a good fit. He's been out of the game for awhile now. There'd also be a zero chance of him getting a shot at the HC job again.

Exactly. He is a very good oc, who won’t be getting any calls to leave. On the other end of that spectrum is Kendal Briles. I’d also be ok with him. He would also not get a HC offer, but for very different reasons.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:

Exactly. He is a very good oc, who won’t be getting any calls to leave. On the other end of that spectrum is Kendal Briles. I’d also be ok with him. He would also not get a HC offer, but for very different reasons.
Lanning will have a nice base of people to go to for advice before making a hire, including Smart and Saban.

There are so many factors to consider, including the QB situation. Will Lanning wait to hire until Bo decides whether he's coming back or not, or will Lanning just grab the best OC available that he feels will be a good fit and then bring in another QB through the transfer portal? I'm leaning toward the latter.

It would be great if he could find someone who has experience recruiting both California and Texas. Keeping those pipelines open is a must.

I'm thinking he'll be looking for someone who runs a balanced offensive scheme. We have too many talented running backs and receivers for either to take the back seat to the other.
John 3:36
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »