Who should Oregon hire at OC? - (EDIT) Looks like it’s UTSA OC Will Stein

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

droop10
Five Star Recruit

Re: Who should Oregon hire at OC?

Post by droop10 »

In regards to next OC, I’m completely oblivious as to current talented coordinators out there that would be available. I trust Lanning to make a good hire. Thinking I read somewhere that Dilly might be bringing Adams over as OC. Maybe Lanning auditions Adams as OC in Bowl game and see how that goes?
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
DmoneyDuck wrote:Someone who wants to be here and isn't looking for a promotion. Oregon will now be looking at 4 different OCs in 5 season (Arroyo 2019, Moorehead 2020, 2021, Dillingham 2022, TBD 2023).
Gone are the days of humility and loyalty. Part of the reason I love Gary Campbell is he knew what he was best at, coaching RB’s, and he was damn good at it. He had OC offers I’m pretty sure but he was smart enough to recognize what he had at Oregon and recognize he was a great RB coach and didn’t want to risk it cause he had arrogant dreams. It seems like no matter who the OC will be, if they have any sort or success they’ll ditch for a desperate mess and years later will regret that decision.
Campbell had no offers to go elsewhere because he was directly involved in BOTH of Oregon's NCAA fiascos, JJ Arrington and Willy Lyles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Dilly was a great OC, but I think we can use the opportunity to improve. I wasn't a fan of Dilly's penchant for getting cute when completely unnecessary. He didn't cost us the Civil War, but he probably cost us the UW game. I would have been happy had he stayed, but I don't think we'll need to try too hard to find someone who is at least equally dynamic.

Many of us may still be suffering from Cristobal PTSD. Those offenses were all-time flat and I don't see anyone dragging us back to that level.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

OK maybe Gary Campbell wasn’t the best example. Main point is, this is the new norm. Coaches jump at the first opportunity and don’t care anymore to stick it out through an entire season. Top schools go through this too, it is what it is. Just gotta hope Lanning keeps Moore and Dickey and finds another good OC, ideally one whose dream school won’t open up for a while. Heck I wonder if Lanning will even include the question “what’s your alma mater?” in his interviews.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

pezsez1 wrote:Dilly was a great OC, but I think we can use the opportunity to improve. I wasn't a fan of Dilly's penchant for getting cute when completely unnecessary. He didn't cost us the Civil War, but he probably cost us the UW game. I would have been happy had he stayed, but I don't think we'll need to try too hard to find someone who is at least equally dynamic.

Many of us may still be suffering from Cristobal PTSD. Those offenses were all-time flat and I don't see anyone dragging us back to that level.
Don't forget last couple years of Helf's offenses
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

In other news, Slick Willy was fired today, so the day is not a total loss.
duck92
Two Star Recruit

Post by duck92 »

Copied from reddit. Interesting names to consider.

Taylor Housewright. Offensive coordinator at Montana state. Was an analyst for us in the Cristobal times.

Joey Hazle. Qb coach at Tennessee that seemed to turn Hooker’s career in the right direction.

Willie Korn. Co-OC at coastal Carolina and QB coach. Seems to have deep Carolina ties but is young and McCall is good.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

Andy Kotelnicki?

Garrett Riley?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Brennan Marion is the one name from last year I remember being drawn to. He's the WR coach at Texas after being at Pitt.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07 wrote:Brennan Marion is the one name from last year I remember being drawn to. He's the WR coach at Texas after being at Pitt.
Someone has to give him a chance as an OC at the FBS sooner or later but I do wonder about his ability to develop QBs.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Unfortunately, Oregon is good enough where if you do a good job you can get mediocre-good teams with HC vacancies chasing you, but Oregon is not good enough, yet, where elite programs with top HC type salaries schools will come chasing after you.

Dilly has the ambition to be the youngest in his roles, but he never said he wanted to be the youngest OC or Coach to win a natty. So I can make sense now of why he jumped back to his alma mater. Being the youngest p5 coach and going back home were good enough for him. Not everyone has National Championship or 8 figure annual salary dreams.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

I'm not advocating for either of these guys, but it looks like both Chip Long and Eric Kiesau have overlapped with Lanning at some point in their careers. Both guys will be available, as their head coaches got fired this year.

Would be interesting to see Lanning bring in someone like Joe Brady.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

I'm sure there'll be specific factors that Lanning will be looking for during the search.

1. Must have an innovative offensive mind

2. Must be a good/great recruiter

3. Must be an excellent QB coach, as well as OC.

4. May need to be close to Lanning in age. He could go for an older guy with head coaching experience, but it might feel intimidating having an older guy looking over his shoulder.

5. Must have chemistry and/or a history together. Must be likeable.

Anything else?
John 3:36
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

Does Paul Chryst do any of those things well?
I doubt he's going back to Wisconsin anytime soon.
Last edited by bellsduck on Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Here's a list of some of the best OCs in the country according to:

https://localtoday.news/ut/ranking-of-t ... 10356.html

I stripped out all the head coaches listed.

25. Jason Candle, Toledo

Was a candidate for the OC job at Miami last season (which would have paid significantly more than the HC job at Toledo), but stayed with the Rockets, who led the MAC with 33.4 points per game last season.

24. Andrew Sowder, Kent State

A key contributor to the turnaround in Kent State, which was the No. 1 national felony scorer in 2020 and No. 30 in 2021.

23. Andy Ludwig, Utah

Ludwig was HC Kyle Whittingham’s first OC in Utah from 2005 to 2008, returning a decade later. Over the past 3 seasons, Utah’s offense has become more dynamic and QB Cameron Rising has become the top QB in the Pac-12 last year.

22. Willy Korn, Coastal Carolina

A combo system where HC Jamey Chadwell is still heavily involved in play calling, but also gives more input from Korn, the co-OC/QBs coach. Korn was instrumental in the development of star QB Grayson McCall.

21. Garrett Riley, TCU

The younger brother of Lincoln Riley, Garrett’s offenses at SMU over the past two seasons — his first two as an OC — have been No. 16 and No. 10 in the nation in scoring. His quarterbacks totaled 62 TDs and SMU rushed for 3,702 yards and 44 TDs.

20. Highlight Whipple, Nebraska

A coaching nomad, but an extremely successful one. He took a chance with the Nebraska OC job and might do just enough to save Scott Frost’s job.

19. Tommy Rees, Notre Dame

Gained increasing control of offense under former Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly and began calling plays in 2020. Working with Ian Book and Jack Coan over the last 4 years has raised his profile as a coach.

16. Todd Monken, Georgia

His work with Stetson Bennett over the past two seasons has been remarkable and has consistently set him up for success – and a national title. Bennett went from 8/6 TD/INT ratio in 2020 to 29/7 in 2021.

11. Josh Gattis, Miami

Gattis, winner of the 2021 Broyles Award for Best Assistant Coach in the Country, turned Michigan and (QB Cade McNamara) offense from a liability to a strength during the playoff run.

10. Phil Longo, North Carolina

A coaching gem in the lower NCAA divisions, he got an FBS-level chance at Ole Miss in 2017 and his offenses have been buzzing at both Ole Miss and North Carolina ever since.

9. Warren Ruggiero, Wake Forest

The Silent Assassin. Ruggiero isn’t the loudest or most demonstrative guy on the sidelines or in the briefing room, but he has few colleagues who tease it and find weaknesses on defense. Wake Forest placed 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 5th and 2nd in the ACC standings under his supervision. That’s 5 consecutive top 5 finishes, something Clemson can’t claim.

7. Jeff Lebby, Oklahoma

His first job as an FBS OC was at UCF, where he made both McKenzie Milton and Dillon Gabriel elite quarterbacks. He did the same with Matt Corral at Ole Miss for the last 2 years and will get another chance with Gabriel this fall.
John 3:36