LBs

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

chapelhillduck
Senior

LBs

Post by chapelhillduck »

For me the most disappointing group this year. Flowe and Sewell have all the tools, but constantly getting caught in the wrong hole. Bass’s has pretty good instincts, but undersized and missed a couple tackles in the hole yesterday.

IDK…feels like that’s one of the main reasons why the Beevs ran like crazy yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wlduck
Sophomore

Re: LBs

Post by wlduck »

I would agree, and I'm surprised there isn't more discussion here and other places about Tosh. Coming into this season I think most fans would have assumed defense would be what carried this team.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Ducks are going to have to hit the portal hard. Their supposed strength just wasn’t.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

We have LBs?
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

Would be nice to see Lanning replace Tosh with Glenn Schumann. With Muschamp calling plays at Georgia, it gives us an opening there to take him as our DC.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Not sure Tosh was a problem. We know little on whom actually led the D, or called the plays full time. Again, also the players inherited may be poor fits. I have trouble pointing fingers at this point.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

Everythingsducky wrote:Not sure Tosh was a problem. We know little on whom actually led the D, or called the plays full time. Again, also the players inherited may be poor fits. I have trouble pointing fingers at this point.
I can’t see this just being a talent issue. Even if our 4 and 5 star guys are slow learners and/or are overrated, I’d expect more than what we saw yesterday from a MAC school, chock full of 2 and 3 star recruits. Knowing what was coming, we couldn’t stop the run. And that’s not even capturing it. We couldn’t hold them to less than 20 yards a (running) play. Again and again.

There is a coaching issue. My early assessment is that it’s mainly inexperience, rather than incompetence. That, while Lanning can very effectively lead a D with the support of an all-world coach (Smart), running the whole operation while remaining that involved in the D is a tough ask. But, if he wants to roll with Tosh at DC, he’s gonna have to figure it out. He seems like a very bright dude, so I’m hopeful he’s got it in him.

Time will tell.

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

The scheme literally had guys in position to make the plays. The players just didn’t. Sewell ram right by the QB when he could have easily had a sack, it’s like he never learned to look up his entire time at UO. I can’t remember a player ever overrunning the play more than he did while at UO.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

buckmarkduck wrote:The scheme literally had guys in position to make the plays. The players just didn’t. Sewell ram right by the QB when he could have easily had a sack, it’s like he never learned to look up his entire time at UO. I can’t remember a player ever overrunning the play more than he did while at UO.
I saw this a lot as well. I never saw him properly breakdown, and he almost always went high. It's like he was never properly taught the fundamentals of tackling. Our LBs were also constantly sitting in open space when playing in the zone. They never learned to track a receiver when ever one ran through their zone. It's why the middle of the field was frequently open. They would sit back and wait to make the hit rather than cover a receiver or make a play on the ball. I think someone said it earlier, they are very reactionary
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

The only LB’s on the roster that have the size and speed to consistently make plays were Sewell and Flowe, but both really seem to be low IQ players. Sewell stands like a statue on pass defense and like a previous poster said overruns a ton. Flowe just starts running with the hope of hitting someone with 0 patience or awareness of where the ball actually is. Bassa seems to have good instincts but is too small and slow to make the plays, especially in pass coverage. Funa is big but way too slow. Keith Brown from my perspective has the most upside of any of the LB’s.

While the DLine did get manhandled by the OSU OLine sadly, there were quite a few run plays in the second half that would’ve been 3-4 yards instead of 15+ with decent LB play.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

Ken Wilson could recruit but was not a good techniques coach

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

OregonFan4Life wrote:The only LB’s on the roster that have the size and speed to consistently make plays were Sewell and Flowe, but both really seem to be low IQ players. Sewell stands like a statue on pass defense and like a previous poster said overruns a ton. Flowe just starts running with the hope of hitting someone with 0 patience or awareness of where the ball actually is. Bassa seems to have good instincts but is too small and slow to make the plays, especially in pass coverage. Funa is big but way too slow. Keith Brown from my perspective has the most upside of any of the LB’s.

While the DLine did get manhandled by the OSU OLine sadly, there were quite a few run plays in the second half that would’ve been 3-4 yards instead of 15+ with decent LB play.

Size and speed? Sewell, LaDuke, and Brown are all the prototype. Flowe and Bassa have speed to burn and ample (albeit not perfect) size. Taggart and Jackson are on their way with more time in the nutrition program.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Sounds like a Tosh problem to me..

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:The only LB’s on the roster that have the size and speed to consistently make plays were Sewell and Flowe, but both really seem to be low IQ players. Sewell stands like a statue on pass defense and like a previous poster said overruns a ton. Flowe just starts running with the hope of hitting someone with 0 patience or awareness of where the ball actually is. Bassa seems to have good instincts but is too small and slow to make the plays, especially in pass coverage. Funa is big but way too slow. Keith Brown from my perspective has the most upside of any of the LB’s.

Size and speed? Sewell, LaDuke, and Brown are all the prototype. Flowe and Bassa have speed to burn and ample (albeit not perfect) size. Taggart and Jackson are on their way with more time in the nutrition program.
How about Brown and Funa? And interesting to hear about LaDuke, he always looked slow to me, but you know way more than I do! It’s just weird talking about the LB’s cause there’s so many names but I feel like the only two I see consistently on the field are Sewell and Bassa, or rather the only two getting their names called consistently.

Also, what are your thoughts on Tosh? How much is he and Lanning to blame for the LB play?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Our best most productive LBs the last 15 years, didn’t have size or speed, Mathew’s, Dye and Clay. They all had it between the ears.