BO IS COMING BACK!

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Re: BO IS COMING BACK!

Post by ducks5ever »

Duck07 wrote:
ducks5ever wrote:Welp, he's going to literally buy Lanning another much needed year. (I'm not saying Lanning is on the hot seat. It's just that Nix's return will likely at least give the optics that the Lanning train is still on the tracks in year 2).
Since you really want to, would you elaborate on why the Lanning train is going to go off the tracks or why a closer examination reveals that it is in fact, off the tracks?
From what we've seen, you're not going to beat a top 25 team with Thompson at the helm. There aren't many good transfers left in the market (to my knowledge). No idea how good the new oc's "pull" is as far as getting a transfer even if we had to go that route. The defense is shuffling in/out a bunch of players this season. 3rd offensive scheme for the 3rd year in a row. Not trying to rain on you all's parade, but Nix staying an extra year definitely buys Lanning more time.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

ducks5ever wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
ducks5ever wrote:Welp, he's going to literally buy Lanning another much needed year. (I'm not saying Lanning is on the hot seat. It's just that Nix's return will likely at least give the optics that the Lanning train is still on the tracks in year 2).
Since you really want to, would you elaborate on why the Lanning train is going to go off the tracks or why a closer examination reveals that it is in fact, off the tracks?
From what we've seen, you're not going to beat a top 25 team with Thompson at the helm. There aren't many good transfers left in the market (to my knowledge). No idea how good the new oc's "pull" is as far as getting a transfer even if we had to go that route. The defense is shuffling in/out a bunch of players this season. 3rd offensive scheme for the 3rd year in a row. Not trying to rain on you all's parade, but Nix staying an extra year definitely buys Lanning more time.
I'd anticipate another wave of transfers after bowl season, especially from the playoff participating teams.
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

ducks5ever wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
Stein’s scheme isn’t much different than what dillingham ran. I have no idea why you’re already talking about buying lanning more time. If nix doesn’t get hurt against UW and we don’t blow a 21 point lead to OSU, we’re likely looking at a playoff berth. It’s a little bit dramatic.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

HomeSickDuck wrote: Stein’s scheme isn’t much different than what dillingham ran. I have no idea why you’re already talking about buying lanning more time. If nix doesn’t get hurt against UW and we don’t blow a 21 point lead to OSU, we’re likely looking at a playoff berth. It’s a little bit dramatic.
Stein has only been a collegiate oc for 1 season so he's a TBD in my book. Again, I don't mean to imply that Lanning is on the hot seat - he's not. I have nothing against him. But this just kicks the long term QB situation down the road, and it will need to be addressed at some point. Sure, it's a different scene in the college football world these days, but I'm not convinced that we'll be able to rely on the portal for QB's indefinitely. I'd be glad if my concerns going into next season are overblown and turn out to be incorrect. I'll just leave it at that.
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

ducks5ever wrote:
HomeSickDuck wrote: Stein’s scheme isn’t much different than what dillingham ran. I have no idea why you’re already talking about buying lanning more time. If nix doesn’t get hurt against UW and we don’t blow a 21 point lead to OSU, we’re likely looking at a playoff berth. It’s a little bit dramatic.
Stein has only been a collegiate oc for 1 season so he's a TBD in my book. Again, I don't mean to imply that Lanning is on the hot seat - he's not. I have nothing against him. But this just kicks the long term QB situation down the road, and it will need to be addressed at some point. Sure, it's a different scene in the college football world these days, but I'm not convinced that we'll be able to rely on the portal for QB's indefinitely. I'd be glad if my concerns going into next season are overblown and turn out to be incorrect. I'll just leave it at that.
The transfer portal has completely changed QB recruiting more than any position. It would definitely sting to lose Moore, but it’s not the end of the world. There will always be good QB’s in the portal and we would just shift focus to 2024.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

I wonder if thornton has some regrets for pulling the gun early and jumping ship now. Bo made him look very good in that utah game.

Hope some top transfer wrs and offense players commit to us after bo announced his return for next season!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

ducks5ever wrote: From what we've seen, you're not going to beat a top 25 team with Thompson at the helm. There aren't many good transfers left in the market (to my knowledge). No idea how good the new oc's "pull" is as far as getting a transfer even if we had to go that route. The defense is shuffling in/out a bunch of players this season. 3rd offensive scheme for the 3rd year in a row. Not trying to rain on you all's parade, but Nix staying an extra year definitely buys Lanning more time.
Ty Thompson, really?

Nix is our QB next year and there's very few QBs next year that will be more talented than him.

Worrying about the 2024 QB or even the 2024 Season seems like a massive waste of mental energy in the age of the Transfer Portal.

As far as the Defense goes, it was Average this year but it was also clearly not a very talented group either once you took away their recruit rankings. The complaints about Tosh and the Defense haven't actually focused on the scheme but simply more or less guys being out of place and missing tackles. Is that on the Coaches or the Players? Maybe we give Lanning a full year or possibly even a 2nd, but that's just me.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

alxtw wrote:I wonder if thornton has some regrets for pulling the gun early and jumping ship now. Bo made him look very good in that utah game.

Hope some top transfer wrs and offense players commit to us after bo announced his return for next season!
At this point its really about finding another Tackle or 2 to protect the pocket.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Hearing Ty will be returning. If true, which I trust it is, then I guess we probably aren’t going after another qb in the portal.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:Hearing Ty will be returning. If true, which I trust it is, then I guess we probably aren’t going after another qb in the portal.
Buckmark, you are always a voice of reason here and not one to dabble in rumors so trust your insights here.

Maybe I am being overly optimistic but who knows maybe it all comes together for Thompson. I honestly hope so. He seems like a real decent guy and a solid, loyal teammate so hope he can make it happen and maybe Nix is helping to mentor him.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Now that Dante Moore decommited from us, I hope Bo still plays great and we don't take the loss too hard.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

lmduck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Hearing Ty will be returning. If true, which I trust it is, then I guess we probably aren’t going after another qb in the portal.
Buckmark, you are always a voice of reason here and not one to dabble in rumors so trust your insights here.

Maybe I am being overly optimistic but who knows maybe it all comes together for Thompson. I honestly hope so. He seems like a real decent guy and a solid, loyal teammate so hope he can make it happen and maybe Nix is helping to mentor him.
I feel the same about TT, I admire his loyalty so far.

Is there “official word”. Moore decomitted?
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

Alan wrote:
lmduck wrote:

Flipped to UCLA.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/Commits/
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

pdxduck2013 wrote:
Alan wrote:
lmduck wrote:

Flipped to UCLA.

Thank PDX, so is why I really don’t get to excited about recruiting until ink is on paper. I am really hoping TT comes of age this year!
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

Alan wrote:
pdxduck2013 wrote:
Alan wrote:
lmduck wrote:

Flipped to UCLA.

I feel the same about TT and hope if comes together for him. It would be a great story. Hey, look at Nix. The Auburn fans couldn't wait to get rid of him and his story has become very compelling.

Thank PDX, so is why I really don’t get to excited about recruiting until ink is on paper. I am really hoping TT comes of age this year!