CFP Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

5$
Five Star Recruit

Re: CFP Thread

Post by 5$ »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Doesn’t look like Michigan wants to win today.
Doesn’t look like TCU wants to win today.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

looks a lot like our first game of the year
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Quietduck wrote:looks a lot like our first game of the year
Its far worse than our game.

We didn't have a 3 and out until the 3rd quarter on like our 7th or 8th drive. While we didn't score, we moved the ball a lot against them and our defense wasn't getting gashed so badly in the run game, it was more from a lack of tackling on the back end.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

With cfp expansion, we'll get more boring games like this. I hate the expansion but I'm not going to cry too much about it since it's only 1 extra game if you're in the top 4.

A rather lackluster finish to an otherwise good overall football/playoff season
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

ducks5ever wrote:With cfp expansion, we'll get more boring games like this. I hate the expansion but I'm not going to cry too much about it since it's only 1 extra game if you're in the top 4.

I mean the first two games were excellent. Couldn't you argue expanding the playoffs may give you more competitive games in early rounds? especially if top two team get BYEs?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I keep seeing that reasoning as an argument against the expanded playoff and I don’t get it. The top teams like Georgia will have to play an extra game, which only increases their chances of losing. And all the relatively meaningless New Year’s Day bowls will have everything on the line, and make for much better games.

Georgia was lucky to win against tOSU; throw a 3rd game in their path and even the dominant teams will have a harder time making it to the championship game. More games means more chance for chaos, which is what makes playoffs so fun. And if Georgia/Bama still dominate than at least they’ll have earned it like every other champion is every other sport has to.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I keep seeing that reasoning as an argument against the expanded playoff and I don’t get it. The top teams like Georgia will have to play an extra game, which only increases their chances of losing. And all the relatively meaningless New Year’s Day bowls will have everything on the line, and make for much better games.

Georgia was lucky to win against tOSU; throw a 3rd game in their path and even the dominant teams will have a harder time making it to the championship game. More games means more chance for chaos, which is what makes playoffs so fun. And if Georgia/Bama still dominate than at least they’ll have earned it like every other champion is every other sport has to.
Well going to 12 means the Top 4 all get the benefit of a BYE, which I think will be a huge advantage.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Duck07 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:I keep seeing that reasoning as an argument against the expanded playoff and I don’t get it. The top teams like Georgia will have to play an extra game, which only increases their chances of losing. And all the relatively meaningless New Year’s Day bowls will have everything on the line, and make for much better games.

Well going to 12 means the Top 4 all get the benefit of a BYE, which I think will be a huge advantage.
Totally, but they’d still have to play an extra game at least. The 4 team playoff is awful for balancing power, and has lead to a power vacuum at the top because the same handful of teams are the only ones who have a realistic shot each year.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:

Unless if it’s changed, isn’t it the top 4 ranked conference champions that get a bye? Not just the top 4 teams?
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
ducks5ever wrote:With cfp expansion, we'll get more boring games like this. I hate the expansion but I'm not going to cry too much about it since it's only 1 extra game if you're in the top 4.

I mean the first two games were excellent. Couldn't you argue expanding the playoffs may give you more competitive games in early rounds? especially if top two team get BYEs?
Yes, that's certainly possible.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Well my reasoning isn't quite that. It's more that the purpose of the playoffs/championship games is to determine who the best team in college is at the end of the year. Do we really need 12 teams to figure that out? In my opinion, definitely no. By the end of the season in the past decadee, most casual fans can agree that there are anywhere between 1-3 (or up to 5 I suppose) teams that are head and shoulder above the rest of the teams in cfb. Furthermore, there is a noticeable gap just within the top 10 most years. (ie. top half is noticeably better than the bottom hal).That's just the top 10. So making it 12 teams just makes a simple process in my head unnecessarily complicated. Now we could get into a chicken/egg problem here because you're saying this disparity happens because there are only 4 teams. I don't agree (since the top 4 is changing ever so slightly; ex. clemson and Oklahoma haven't been very relevant in the cfp in recent years; michigan is a new face, etc) but I can see why you'd think that.

Obviously, this debate can't be summed up in 1 short paragraph. There are good reasons to expand it (more "fairness" in the cfp process; more revenue for schools/conferences; i suppose some people will find more meaning out of the post season). I also disagree with that last one (where did 100 years of football tradition go) but everyone has their own likings/opinions and I respect that.

edit re: adding chaos through playing more games
Making it through the regular season (playing ~12-14 games) to make it into the top ___ to qualify for the playoffs at the end of the season should be enough "challenges". Some chaos is nice at the end of the year but to make it this far in the current system, the teams have already been battle tested (for the most part). I think the regular season already takes care of that.
Last edited by ducks5ever on Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Totally, but they’d still have to play an extra game at least. The 4 team playoff is awful for balancing power, and has lead to a power vacuum at the top because the same handful of teams are the only ones who have a realistic shot each year.
Yes and with 12 it will still lead to that same vacuum wherein "those" teams are selected higher for seeding purposes. IE, Saban and Alabama would have been the 4th seed this year because by expanding to 12, they could still let TCU in.

8 was the more appropriate solution, 12 helps keep that imbalance.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Duck07 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:Totally, but they’d still have to play an extra game at least. The 4 team playoff is awful for balancing power, and has lead to a power vacuum at the top because the same handful of teams are the only ones who have a realistic shot each year.
Yes and with 12 it will still lead to that same vacuum wherein "those" teams are selected higher for seeding purposes. IE, Saban and Alabama would have been the 4th seed this year because by expanding to 12, they could still let TCU in.

8 was the more appropriate solution, 12 helps keep that imbalance.
Too lazy to look it up and confirm, but I’m pretty sure the top 4 seeds go to the highest ranked conference champs, so Bama couldn’t have been a top 4 seed. Could be wrong, but could have sworn that’s what I read before.