Oregon hiring Tulane DC Chris Hampton as new S coach

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Oregon hiring Tulane DC Chris Hampton as new S coach

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like Oregon may have found their new safeties coach in Tulane DC Chris Hampton. I imagine he'll be getting a co-DC title like Powledge had.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Oregon hiring Tulane DC Chris Hampton as new S coach

Post by StevensTechU »

Really curious what his role is gonna be. He is a candidate for high-major DC jobs, so I wonder if there's a chance he's the play caller on D this year.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

StevensTechU wrote:Really curious what his role is gonna be. He is a candidate for high-major DC jobs, so I wonder if there's a chance he's the play caller on D this year.
I wonder if Tosh has been told to look for other opportunities. Seems odd that Hampton would come here unless he knew there was more upside.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Really curious what his role is gonna be. He is a candidate for high-major DC jobs, so I wonder if there's a chance he's the play caller on D this year.
I wonder if Tosh has been told to look for other opportunities. Seems odd that Hampton would come here unless he knew there was more upside.
Why would he have been told that? Hampton is filling in the same position that Powledge just had. Oregon is a big step up for Hampton even if he's not calling plays like he did at Tulane.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

greenyellow wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:
Why would he have been told that? Hampton is filling in the same position that Powledge just had. Oregon is a big step up for Hampton even if he's not calling plays like he did at Tulane.
We don't know that Hampton is filling the same position that Powledge had. It hasn't been announced. And because Hampton has already been a candidate for major DC jobs (last year, before Tulane had a big year this season), being a position coach at Oregon doesn't really seem to do much to improve his candidacy. But maybe that's it, or it's just a money grab. Who knows.

Edit* to add one more thought here. Personally, I don't think you invite Hampton and boot Lupoi. Lupoi (and Tuioti) just recruited the best defensive line class in program history. So, even if he stinks as a coordinator, unless he also stinks as a position coach, you keep him on staff because defensive linemen don't grow on douglas fir trees.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

Hampton may be taking the 'Lanning approach'.

Dan took a couple of lower level jobs at various points in his career to prepare him for the bigger role so maybe Hampton is thinking the same way. If I remember correctly at one point Dan took a GA job at Alabama after he had been a position coach elsewhere to get the exposure and make connections so maybe that is what Hampton is thinking. More long game than short game. Just my two cents. No insights or special info.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

lmduck wrote:Hampton may be taking the 'Lanning approach'.

Dan took a couple of lower level jobs at various points in his career to prepare him for the bigger role so maybe Hampton is thinking the same way. If I remember correctly at one point Dan took a GA job at Alabama after he had been a position coach elsewhere to get the exposure and make connections so maybe that is what Hampton is thinking. More long game than short game. Just my two cents. No insights or special info.
I think this is partially what Hampton is doing. Plenty of G5 coaches take demotions in order to make P5 connections and/or money. Just look at Sean Lewis. He went from Kent State HC to Colorado OC. Lanning went from a DB/co-recruiting coordinator at FCS Sam Houston State to a GA at Alabama for a season before landing at Memphis.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

He's now updated his Twitter bio to Oregon and lists his titles as Co-Defensive Coordinator/Safeties, the same as Powledge.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It's official now:
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

It sounds like a good hire, but also a temporary one. I wonder if Lanning and other head coaches ever get tired of looking for new assistants every year. This guy might be gone next year, and definitely by the year after.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phalanx wrote:It sounds like a good hire, but also a temporary one. I wonder if Lanning and other head coaches ever get tired of looking for new assistants every year. This guy might be gone next year, and definitely by the year after.
I think they just understand it's part of the job since they've been part of the system for so long.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

its part of every successful programs. Lanning was the dc at Georgia and
Kirby had to know that sooner or Latter Lanning would get a head coaching job.
If a school is struggling and not performing not to many assistants move along.
other than looking for a new job. It's the nature of winning.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

duckfan22 wrote:its part of every successful programs. Lanning was the dc at Georgia and
Kirby had to know that sooner or Latter Lanning would get a head coaching job.
If a school is struggling and not performing not to many assistants move along.
other than looking for a new job. It's the nature of winning.
This is also one reason why so many analysts…to provide a level of continuity and to act as a farm system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk