Kelly vs now, are the Ducks in a better position now?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Yes
49%
No
51%

Total votes: 41
Alan
Senior

Re: Kelly vs now, are the Ducks in a better position now?

Post by Alan »

Phalanx wrote:Right, and you saw better potential with Mario as well. You seem bent on diminishing Chip's accomplishments here in multiple threads. I have a feeling Lanning will surpass Mario, but it will be an amazing feat if he can even approach the Chip/ 1st 2 years of Helfrich era. If we ever get another coach that can have us in the National Championship conversation several years in a row and playing in the championship game two years after he is gone, then I will say he has equaled Chip. Until that time, I will be happier to at least be the best team in the Northwest by the end of the season, which hasn't happened yet under Lanning.
I am not diminishing Chips achievements at all, Mario was a fresh change from Helf and that staff and certainly Slick Willy. Chip did great things for Oregon, but I think of him as I do Rick Adelman and the Blazers. Great teams, fun time to be a fan but they could never complete the process, to the top but never at the top. Mario showed who he was after a couple of seasons, a bit of a control freak. Lanning, like Mario is bring in some beef for the lines, I liked the RB’s Mario brought in but Lanning brought better, which was a bit of a surprise. Our defense was weak last year, Lanning is Working on that.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Chip elevated Oregon to unprecedented levels...

Mario/Lanning/Helfrich all inherited what Chip had built so even if they accomplished the same results as chip (unlikely), it won't be as impressive.

Let's hire Chip in 3 yrs when Alabama hires Lanning after Saban retires.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I don't think it's fair to say that Lanning inherited what Chip built. Chip's entire recruiting infrastructure is gone. Sure, the magnitude of his success might still echo through the minds of recruits, but Oregon has been a branding juggernaut since Joey Harrington's billboard went up in Times Square. Chip benefited from that as much as Lanning is benefiting from him.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Chip elevated Oregon to unprecedented levels...

Mario/Lanning/Helfrich all inherited what Chip had built so even if they accomplished the same results as chip (unlikely), it won't be as impressive.

Let's hire Chip in 3 yrs when Alabama hires Lanning after Saban retires.
What makes you so sure Chip will be coaching in 3 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I’m curious, how long does everyone think Chip’s run would’ve lasted if he had stayed at Oregon? Like the great musicians who die at their peak, Chip left us in a way that he’s forever locked in as an untouchable figure.

If he had stuck around and put together a bunch of mediocre seasons like he has at UCLA, and we saw washed up Chip in green and yellow instead of baby blue, it would drastically change the way we view him.

As with every coach since Bellotti, I believe the culture and athletic department are what make this program so good. Coaches’ strengths are highlighted and their weaknesses hidden, and we only see who they actually are when they move to another school/team. I think MB should get much of the credit that Chip gets; he’s the one who built this thing up into what it is and had the reigns ripped away from him right when it was peaking.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

LOL, no and not particularly close.

Dan has a LOT to show after losing to both rivals in year 1 despite having more talent than both. Chip NEVER lost to UW or OSEwe.

If the crazy staff and player turnover turns out better than the Chip years of continuity and system, I'll be surprised.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I’m curious, how long does everyone think Chip’s run would’ve lasted if he had stayed at Oregon? Like the great musicians who die at their peak, Chip left us in a way that he’s forever locked in as an untouchable figure.

If he had stuck around and put together a bunch of mediocre seasons like he has at UCLA, and we saw washed up Chip in green and yellow instead of baby blue, it would drastically change the way we view him.

As with every coach since Bellotti, I believe the culture and athletic department are what make this program so good. Coaches’ strengths are highlighted and their weaknesses hidden, and we only see who they actually are when they move to another school/team. I think MB should get much of the credit that Chip gets; he’s the one who built this thing up into what it is and had the reigns ripped away from him right when it was peaking.
Oregon / Chip were recruiting itself at that point though. Even if the game / rules caught up to him a bit, skill players across the country wanted to come here. We could have won 9+ games a year just based on that alone. I do think things would have caught up to him, just like what appears to be happening to Dabo at Clemson but it would have been a long and slow decline as opposed to drastic.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

73duck wrote:The second title game was under Helfrich, but I agree it could be considered Kelly era (as could the years when Kelly was OC). They were also one DAT block away from a likely title game against Notre Dame that they would have been favored to win.

Those teams steamrolled SEC teams like MSU and Tennessee, and should have beaten Auburn twice. What was Kelly in the PAC? 41-6? Plus, they were mostly blowout wins that got about a half dozen HCs fired.

Lanning's team got physically beaten up by OSU. Kelly knocked an OSU team out of the Rose Bowl.

I am very pleased with the job Lanning is doing, but sheesh, people forget so soon.
This^^