Marcus

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Marcus

Post by Alan »

Marcus was released by the Falcons, sounds like it was to make cap space, $12 mil. He had trouble with the Titans, which at the time I blamed on the coaching turn over during his time their but he took the blame. Went to Raiders and could never get past Carr but kept a low profile. Went to Falcons as a starter, just an average qb but took a lot of heat by the media and the fan base. Is it time for Marcus to flip the page and retire? I saw one report saying he would be a good fit as a backup in KC, maybe…… at least he has a good chance at a ring. If he retires any guesses what he does? The recruiting trail of a college coach is brutal.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Marcus

Post by OregonFan4Life »

We all love Marcus but one concerns NFL scouts had was that he doesn’t have the fire other QB’s have. It’s all speculation, but given that he’s a new dad, I bet Marcus will spend the rest of his career being a backup making a solid paycheck to sit on the bench and will be extremely content. I personally would love that life, but there are some QB’s that have way too much passion and would do whatever it takes to fight for another chance at starting, I just don’t see that being Marcus. Marcus has all the skills and talent to be a consistent top 10 QB, just not sure what’s what he wants.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

It's about environment and mentality. He has(had) the skills, but the environment wasn't exactly ideal and his mental fortitude is just OK... but I think it needs to be great in NFL.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

I’m guessing he commands 3-5 million / year as a backup. Not too bad! Of course, probably half goes to taxes, so there’s that.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

dd10snoop28 wrote:It's about environment and mentality. He has(had) the skills, but the environment wasn't exactly ideal and his mental fortitude is just OK... but I think it needs to be great in NFL.
I saw a great clip from Brandon Marshalls podcast where he was trying to get Marshawn Lynch and Lendale White to crap on Pete Carroll by asking if he was a great Coach or Manipulator. Lendale tried to hedge by saying both and couldn't explain it but Lynch brought up the psychology of Pete and in his own savant way it made a ton of sense to me what they were saying by calling Pete a manipulator because it was about Pete bringing out their best.

Pete always believes in his guys and while it can reach levels of absurdity, these players also need people in their corner like that. I don't think you'd describe any of Marcus' pro coaches like that save Gruden.
dd10snoop28
Senior

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Duck07 wrote:
dd10snoop28 wrote:It's about environment and mentality. He has(had) the skills, but the environment wasn't exactly ideal and his mental fortitude is just OK... but I think it needs to be great in NFL.
I saw a great clip from Brandon Marshalls podcast where he was trying to get Marshawn Lynch and Lendale White to crap on Pete Carroll by asking if he was a great Coach or Manipulator. Lendale tried to hedge by saying both and couldn't explain it but Lynch brought up the psychology of Pete and in his own savant way it made a ton of sense to me what they were saying by calling Pete a manipulator because it was about Pete bringing out their best.

Pete always believes in his guys and while it can reach levels of absurdity, these players also need people in their corner like that. I don't think you'd describe any of Marcus' pro coaches like that save Gruden.
Right, I was gonna say similar to Joey Harrington's situations in the NFL, but I think Joey's substandard performances and continued losing led to lost respect in the locker room, whereas Marcus retained his respect in the Tennessee locker room (probably because they were still winning). Marcus should've been a pro-bowl player in Tennessee. Coaches weren't sold on him, and also injuries.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'm not entirely surprised that Marcus hasn't thrived in the NFL. He never really had a cannon of an arm, his long-ball accuracy was good, but not great, and he always seemed to struggle when banged up (and NFL QBs usually get banged up at some point in the season). It's kind of a hindsight 20/20 thing. I initially thought he'd do better, but now that I've watched a bit more NFL football I can see why he didn't rise to the top.

Conversely, a guy like Herbert who had a bunch of question marks ended up thriving because he has all those tools that NFL QBs need -- the arm cannon, the deep ball, the clutch leadership, etc.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

He should walk away from all of that backup QB money he is likely to make and become an analyst on Lanning's staff.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

karlhungis wrote:He should walk away from all of that backup QB money he is likely to make and become an analyst on Lanning's staff.

Being a backup QB, especially if he can land a gig like Kellen had, is tough to walk away from. Make a ton of money, get to workout with top trainers, get the best meal’s prepared for you, get to hangout with teammates and then on sundays have a great view of the game. All the perks without the brain damage.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck07 wrote:

2 of those 3 guys got cut by Pete, so of course they probably don’t love him.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:
karlhungis wrote:He should walk away from all of that backup QB money he is likely to make and become an analyst on Lanning's staff.

Being a backup QB, especially if he can land a gig like Kellen had, is tough to walk away from. Make a ton of money, get to workout with top trainers, get the best meal’s prepared for you, get to hangout with teammates and then on sundays have a great view of the game. All the perks without the brain damage.

He just got another 8mill to be a backup. I’d scrub the sidewalk with a toothbrush for 8mill, much less getting to hang with the guys, practice all week and workout.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

buckmarkduck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

He just got another 8mill to be a backup. I’d scrub the sidewalk with a toothbrush for 8mill, much less getting to hang with the guys, practice all week and workout.

I agree with a career as a backup, Marcus just signed, as stated by buckmark, with Philly, one year for $5 mil plus $3 mil in incentives. Not a bad gig for the year……… except Philly is a brutal fan base another good reason to be the backup in Philly.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Backup behind a designed run QB. Be ready to go in.
dd10snoop28
Senior

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Wow, nice situation. If Hurst goes down, that will be the best opportunity of his career.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Wow, nice situation. If Hurst goes down, that will be the best opportunity of his career.
Yes, a really good team that can utilize his skills. A much better chance to succeed than Atlanta was. Plus easy money if Hurst stays healthy all year.