Congratulations to our 5 @OregonWBB incoming freshmen:

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duck58
Four Star Recruit

Re: Congratulations to our 5 @OregonWBB incoming freshmen:

Post by duck58 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:When Sabrina's class came in I hadn't predicted Hebert as an early contributor compared to the other big girls. Took her about one game to teach me how wrong my guesses were.

I hadn't mentioned Dugalic at all for early rotation based on possible redundancy of skills with the big girls already on the team. She does have a high ceiling though and I can easily see myself eating crow on where I have her handicapped on total minutes played in season one among the FAB 5. Still speculating on this stuff is fun and free.
Especially when everything is dead now.
smithall
High School Drop Out

Post by smithall »

The biggest competition next year will be at point guard. Who can lead the offense best and who can create their own shot? Not sure if Shelley is that person.
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

I'm very excited about Dugalic's prospects. We all know about Serbia and basketball. And there's the genes. Father played high-level ball. Can't get any better than speculating about next year.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

gogreen55 wrote:
By the way, did anyone hear Kelly Graves on the Pac-12 Women's Basketball podcast a few days ago? The most surprising thing he revealed (the first time he had made it public at least.....maybe others on paid boards were aware of this?) was that if the NCAA Tournament had been played, they were planning on playing Nyara Sabally in the games. I had no idea this was even being considered, or that she was healthy enough to do it, but apparently she had been practicing full-go behind the scenes and they were going to unleash her. As long as there are no setbacks, the fact she is healthy enough to play even right now is great news for next season.
Did he really have to mention that? It's extremely heart breaking (and not that it wasn't heartbreaking enough before knowing). I guess it would have been a thank you nod to allow the Sabally's to play together. And wow that would have been a huge X-Factor in the tournament.

It will be interesting next year how Nyara (?) and Sedona take over Satou and Ruthy's spots.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

shoparound wrote:
gogreen55 wrote:
By the way, did anyone hear Kelly Graves on the Pac-12 Women's Basketball podcast a few days ago? The most surprising thing he revealed (the first time he had made it public at least.....maybe others on paid boards were aware of this?) was that if the NCAA Tournament had been played, they were planning on playing Nyara Sabally in the games. I had no idea this was even being considered, or that she was healthy enough to do it, but apparently she had been practicing full-go behind the scenes and they were going to unleash her. As long as there are no setbacks, the fact she is healthy enough to play even right now is great news for next season.
Did he really have to mention that? It's extremely heart breaking (and not that it wasn't heartbreaking enough before knowing). I guess it would have been a thank you nod to allow the Sabally's to play together. And wow that would have been a huge X-Factor in the tournament.

It will be interesting next year how Nyara (?) and Sedona take over Satou and Ruthy's spots.
Neither play Satou's position.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

duck58 wrote:
nogerO wrote:
panamaslim wrote:Also, Giomi has improved incrementally each year and won't get huge minutes, but will be reliable off the bench when needed.
I'm sorry but Giomi would maybe only start for 1 or 2 Pac teams. She's a turnover machine. I'm surprised she hasn't transferred somewhere she can play.
She really didn't have that many TOs. In 318 min she had 16. Ruthy in 946 min had 48. That's very equivalent. 1 TO for each 20 min played. Satou had 64 TOs in 836 min played. That is 1 TO for each 13 min played. She also had 13 steals and 8 blocked shots. Definitely better on the defensive end. I think she might start for more than 2 Pac teams, but no one mentioned her as a starter. Prince will be. She can and did give some reliable min. spelling Ruthy. She will do the same for Prince; unless one of the FAB 5 moves ahead of her.
I should have said that most of her turnovers come on rebounds and loose balls as she has still not learned to keep the ball up high and tight where the smaller people can't readily slap it out of her hands. "Rebound/steal/loose ball picked up by Giomi-turnover steal by-" is a phrase heard too often...

Surprised that hasn't been coached out of here by this time...Upper body strength would help. And no, she wouldn't start for more than 1 or 2 teams in the Pac...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

nogerO wrote:
duck58 wrote:
nogerO wrote:
panamaslim wrote:Also, Giomi has improved incrementally each year and won't get huge minutes, but will be reliable off the bench when needed.
I'm sorry but Giomi would maybe only start for 1 or 2 Pac teams. She's a turnover machine. I'm surprised she hasn't transferred somewhere she can play.
She really didn't have that many TOs. In 318 min she had 16. Ruthy in 946 min had 48. That's very equivalent. 1 TO for each 20 min played. Satou had 64 TOs in 836 min played. That is 1 TO for each 13 min played. She also had 13 steals and 8 blocked shots. Definitely better on the defensive end. I think she might start for more than 2 Pac teams, but no one mentioned her as a starter. Prince will be. She can and did give some reliable min. spelling Ruthy. She will do the same for Prince; unless one of the FAB 5 moves ahead of her.
I should have said that most of her turnovers come on rebounds and loose balls as she has still not learned to keep the ball up high and tight where the smaller people can't readily slap it out of her hands. "Rebound/steal/loose ball picked up by Giomi-turnover steal by-" is a phrase heard too often...

Surprised that hasn't been coached out of here by this time...Upper body strength would help. And no, she wouldn't start for more than 1 or 2 teams in the Pac...

Just saying she was able to back up Ruthie with a few minutes. With a little more development I would not be surprised to even see Lucy Cochrane move ahead of her. She was a shot blocking wizard, even if it was garbage time. Someone mentioned she had injuries. Then there is the fab 5. But if Lydia is the backup to Prince, it would not be a complete disaster. She avg 10.7 min. this year because so many blowouts; probably 5-7 next year.
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

Giomi has very good footwork, sets good screens and runs the floor well on breaks. Hands could improve as well as physicality. Any team would love to have her on their roster. Smart. High basketball IQ. Exceptional teammate in the locker room. Dividends for success aren't found on the floor only.

Morgan Yaeger is the same way.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

Don't really understand the Giomi negativity...Some of you are acting like she is a total scrub. She proved she was plenty effective in her time on the court this year. Will she be the best post? No. But that is fine! She was a lot better this year, no reason she could not make another step.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

panamaslim wrote:Giomi has very good footwork, sets good screens and runs the floor well on breaks. Hands could improve as well as physicality. Any team would love to have her on their roster. Smart. High basketball IQ. Exceptional teammate in the locker room. Dividends for success aren't found on the floor only.

Morgan Yaeger is the same way.
Yes, most, if not all, and she would start for some. More important than on floor success is that I briefly saw a list and, unless I missed one, all of the girls on the team were academic honor roll.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

bigsugarduck wrote:Don't really understand the Giomi negativity...Some of you are acting like she is a total scrub. She proved she was plenty effective in her time on the court this year. Will she be the best post? No. But that is fine! She was a lot better this year, no reason she could not make another step.
Whoa! There's only one person knocking her. She did a good job backing up Ruthy this year. If Prince and/or Nyara had been available she likely would not have been.

Next year Prince, Sabally, and Boley would likely be front court starters. Giomi would presently be backup to Prince.
But, I believe Cochrane and one or two incoming freshmen could move ahead of her. A lot of talent there . Doesn't mean she's bad because someone is better. I'm happy if she maintains her position.

The same goes for the guard position. Now, it would appear to be Chavez and Shelley. There is Winterburn and Yeager returning. Three incoming freshmen. Look at the highlights of Scherr. Wow! Graves said PaoPao reminds him of Sabrina. Wow! The ratings lists I've seen say Parish is the best. Wow! So, if one of them replaces say Shelley, does she become bad? No one on this team is a scrub. But I believe there will be a lot of competition, especially for reserve positions.