MBB: UCLA vs Oregon (Wed 6 PM ESPN2)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

northbeachsf
Freshman

Re: MBB: UCLA vs Oregon (Wed 6 PM ESPN2)

Post by northbeachsf »

I watch a lot of hoops this time of year and both of these teams are grossly underrated right now. The fact that Oregon is still a 10-seed in Jerry Palm's bracket is insane.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

northbeachsf wrote:I watch a lot of hoops this time of year and both of these teams are grossly underrated right now. The fact that Oregon is still a 10-seed in Jerry Palm's bracket is insane.
Ha, could be another year where Oregon gets a 10-12 seed inexplicably (when they were deserving of a 4-5 seed), resulting in the 5-7 seed's coach and hometown paper's complaining loudly about how unfair it is that they play Oregon.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

droop10 wrote:
bigsugarduck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Heckuva last 8 minutes for Oregon in this game. Altman is masterful in getting his teams righted quickly in-game and turning what would be sure losses for most teams into wins for the Ducks.
The pressure was genius. How many times have we seen DA time it so perfectly?

Also credit the team for shooting 60%. UCLA with about 10 minutes to go was shooting 65% themselves. Really good back and forth game. Both teams have a lot of talent.

Great win!
Part of me wishes the concerted press got used more often (it is usually so effective, especially with these G's), but there is clearly a great argument for saving it until the most critical closing stretch of games.

I thought it was interesting that Altman basically held off from utilizing the press until Oregon started to lose touch midway in the 2nd half. My overall impression is that Altman has basically kept the same pattern his entire Oregon Career: Save the press until the final 8-9 minutes in the 2nd half unless Oregon is losing touch, then use it in busts unless it is resulting in easy open shots.

Whatever is in the sauce, Altman keep cranking out a tasty product by the end of the season. He just gets it done.
Wonder how much fatigue plays into that. They aren’t going deep in their rotation and have played a slew of games in a short amount of time. If they went full press the whole time, I think they would be gassed.
Exactly, fatigue and the element of surprise are factors. UCLA after like 6 minutes finally was getting the hang of it and wasn't turning it over constantly. But by then, it was too late.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

northbeachsf wrote:I watch a lot of hoops this time of year and both of these teams are grossly underrated right now. The fact that Oregon is still a 10-seed in Jerry Palm's bracket is insane.
Couldn't agree more. Oregon is probably a 5-6 seed. UCLA is probably a 6-7 seed. I find it funny how high Colorado is. They are good, but I would put Oregon and UCLA over them.

I also think the committee will factors in us not having Duarte/Williams/Richardson against Wazzu/OSU. Those games are easily wins with them. Also how long we couldn't practice together. If Oregon beats Beavers and wins at least a game in the Pac-12 tournament, anything higher a 7 seed is wrong.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Now this is the Will Richardson I wanted to see this season! He’s back!
Yes. I was worried he is was not going to rise up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

GrantDuck wrote:A few notes:

1. If we win this weekend, we'll be back2back champs in the Pac-12 in football AND basketball!

2. If this team had a shot blocker on defense like Wooten(who crazy enough would be a senior this year) or Bell, we'd be in contention for the championship this year.

3. You have to think at this point Duarte has played himself into being a first rounder. I saw his game at Juco and thought he'd be a great scorer for us, but he's taken his whole game to the next level. Seems like he's really gotten shot blocking down too.
Wooten would probably be a sure fire NBA pick if he had stayed in college. Just like Pritchard. No way Pritchard gets drafted if he leaves early like Wooten.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

RanDux wrote:

1. If we win this weekend, we'll be back2back champs in the Pac-12 in football AND basketball!

2. If this team had a shot blocker on defense like Wooten(who crazy enough would be a senior this year) or Bell, we'd be in contention for the championship this year.

3. You have to think at this point Duarte has played himself into being a first rounder. I saw his game at Juco and thought he'd be a great scorer for us, but he's taken his whole game to the next level. Seems like he's really gotten shot blocking down too.
Wooten would probably be a sure fire NBA pick if he had stayed in college. Just like Pritchard. No way Pritchard gets drafted if he leaves early like Wooten.
I really believe the NCAA and NBA need to crate that rule (I think Condoleeza Rice came up with it) that you either go straight to the NBA out of high school, or you go to college for at least 3 years like with football. Too many careers never happen because these young talented but raw players leave too early and don't develop their game. The G league is crap and it's extremely rare to find someone make it to the NBA from there, like Pritchard, these players have a much better chance if they stay in college and develop their games. I don't know why these agents are putting crap in these kids' ears telling them they'd be better to leave after year 2 and go undrafted than stay a year or two longer.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
RanDux wrote:

I really believe the NCAA and NBA need to crate that rule (I think Condoleeza Rice came up with it) that you either go straight to the NBA out of high school, or you go to college for at least 3 years like with football. Too many careers never happen because these young talented but raw players leave too early and don't develop their game. The G league is crap and it's extremely rare to find someone make it to the NBA from there, like Pritchard, these players have a much better chance if they stay in college and develop their games. I don't know why these agents are putting crap in these kids' ears telling them they'd be better to leave after year 2 and go undrafted than stay a year or two longer.
I support that, but would add a high school senior who submits for the draft and is not drafted can still do the college route, as long as he doesn't have an agent or refunds all benefits paid by an agent. Wait, forget the agent thing. If an agent is dumb enough to a pay a high school kid who then doesn't get drafted, that's his fault, the kid should still be able to go the college route. 17 and 18 year olds shouldnt lose their opportunity because of the action of an adult. particularily if that adult is a sleezy agent.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Why is there a rule in the first place? Why are they forcing players like Bol, Wiseman, Mobley, Cunningham, etc to go to college for one year when they are clearly first round draft picks out of high school? It's insane when you think about it.

I also think they should be able to leave school anytime they believe they are ready. If kids make the wrong decision and go too early, then that's on them. Specifically, I look at Wooten and think if he had stayed 1 or 2 more years and worked on his offense, he might have stuck on a roster.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
RanDux wrote:

I support that, but would add a high school senior who submits for the draft and is not drafted can still do the college route, as long as he doesn't have an agent or refunds all benefits paid by an agent. Wait, forget the agent thing. If an agent is dumb enough to a pay a high school kid who then doesn't get drafted, that's his fault, the kid should still be able to go the college route. 17 and 18 year olds shouldnt lose their opportunity because of the action of an adult. particularily if that adult is a sleezy agent.
The reason it exists is because boosters would pay for kids, with the stipulation they attend their school if they don't get drafted.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

pudgejeff wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
RanDux wrote:

I support that, but would add a high school senior who submits for the draft and is not drafted can still do the college route, as long as he doesn't have an agent or refunds all benefits paid by an agent. Wait, forget the agent thing. If an agent is dumb enough to a pay a high school kid who then doesn't get drafted, that's his fault, the kid should still be able to go the college route. 17 and 18 year olds shouldn't lose their opportunity because of the action of an adult. particularly if that adult is a sleezy agent.
The reason it exists is because boosters would pay for kids, with the stipulation they attend their school if they don't get drafted.
NCAA registered agents. Boosters are going to boost, rule or not.