WBB: Portland @ #19 Oregon (Dec. 3, Sat 2 PM Pac-12 Network)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

WBB: Portland @ #19 Oregon (Dec. 3, Sat 2 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by greenyellow »

PORTLAND
DEC. 3 (SAT) 2 PM
EUGENE, OR
TV: PAC-12 NETWORK
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Re: WBB: Portland @ #19 Oregon (Dec. 3, Sat 2 PM Pac-12 Netw

Post by duck58 »

I understand that men's bb gets the most attention but the ladies could be something very good this year. Against MSU Graves started 3 fr, 1 so, and I believe PaoPao is a Jr. A lot of talent on the bench and Graves plays subs a lot. He says that with all the new people this won't be the same team in Feb. it is now. They're not that bad now. I don't see anyone challenging Stanford for PAC-12 title, we could be near the top. This game should just be another warmup.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

duck58 wrote:I understand that men's bb gets the most attention but the ladies could be something very good this year. Against MSU Graves started 3 fr, 1 so, and I believe PaoPao is a Jr. A lot of talent on the bench and Graves plays subs a lot. He says that with all the new people this won't be the same team in Feb. it is now. They're not that bad now. I don't see anyone challenging Stanford for PAC-12 title, we could be near the top. This game should just be another warmup.
So far a good offensive team. How well the finish in conference will be determined by defensive growth by Philli and Grace, our only bigs. Both have a lot of potential on the defensive side but neither is where they need to be to be for us to be top 3 in the conference. Grace is going to have to play near 30 minutes a game matched against bigger and taller posts almost every game.

They are a fun group to watch and the 3 freshman are all going to be good PAC-10 players.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

ElPatoLoco
One Star Recruit

Post by ElPatoLoco »

I’m hoping we get Hannah Gusters from the portal.

“Former LSU center Hannah Gusters was spotted recently in the stands at an Oregon game rocking an Oregon shirt. She is also following Oregon and some of the players on on social media. Could we see the 6’5 center join the Ducks soon? “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

ElPatoLoco wrote:I’m hoping we get Hannah Gusters from the portal.

“Former LSU center Hannah Gusters was spotted recently in the stands at an Oregon game rocking an Oregon shirt. She is also following Oregon and some of the players on on social media. Could we see the 6’5 center join the Ducks soon? “
This team's ceiling at the moment is limited. While there are no guarantees that Gusters would provide what we are looking for, putting her in the mix would at least provide some hope and raise the potential ceiling quite a bit. Having another true big off the bench that has some skill and experience would suddenly make a Sweet 16 (or better) type run less unrealistic.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

ElPatoLoco wrote:I’m hoping we get Hannah Gusters from the portal.

Heck yes, except I think there is some kind of eligibility hold-up or she would be on a team now. She already has used the one free transfer going from Baylor to LSU.
ElPatoLoco
One Star Recruit

Post by ElPatoLoco »

I was hoping the hold up was fall term needs to end. We could really use another center.

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon beats Portland handily behind Chance Gray's 20 points (which included 4-8 3-point shooting) and 5 other Ducks in double figures.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

I agree with Graves, this was the best performance of the season. Hopefully they can keep it going.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

After watching the game, we do have some talent on the roster!
The freshmen this year are just above and beyond how that 5* class from a few years ago started. They just never seemed comfortable here. Clearly chemistry was just not there. It's interesting seeing how they are doing at their other schools.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

shoparound wrote:After watching the game, we do have some talent on the roster!
The freshmen this year are just above and beyond how that 5* class from a few years ago started. They just never seemed comfortable here. Clearly chemistry was just not there. It's interesting seeing how they are doing at their other schools.
All are starting except Dugalic who is out with an injury.

Parrish is doing the best and has increased her offense inside the 3 point line and overall aggressiveness. She has already shot more free throws in twelve games than she did in the 32 games she played last year and is averaging almost 7 rebounds a game. She's scoring at about 13 per game.

Scheer is doing pretty much what she did at Oregon. Defense, assists but little scoring.

Watson looks slightly improved but that would have happened even if she stayed. Had she stayed she would have gotten big minutes here after Prince's injury.

Dugalic has been hammered with injuries, missing most of last year and is out this year with a torn ACL.

The best of that class from day 1 to now of course was Pao Pao.

The new freshman are having a much better start but they have a better environment to begin in with the smaller team. The Fab 5 class was hugely overcrowded with talented players and everyone on the team always seemed to be pressing to find a spot. After that year Mikesell, Shelley, Chavez and Dugalic all transferred out. Dugalic still is a pile of potential, Chavez bombed, Shelley had a great all around year and was second team All Big Ten. Mikesell was first team All Big Ten last year and is on her way to repeating this year.