Your favorite Oregon basketball moment of all time?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Your favorite Oregon basketball moment of all time?

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I started the same thread on the football forum, figured we could use a new discussion on these forums, something different and enjoyable.

What is your favorite Oregon basketball moment or top few moments of all time?

For me it's easy, and probably the same for a lot of people. When Oregon beat Kansas to make it to the Final Four. Almost felt like Oregon was never going to make it there, there were years they made it to the Elite Eight and it seemed like they had a real good chance to, but just ran into a team that couldn't miss or was simply unbeatable (especially with the aid of the officials, Florida). But this game, it felt like Oregon was finally on the other side. Dorsey was on fire, could not miss, and they just out-swaggered Kansas (if that makes sense). This team came into this game knowing they were the better team and they showed it. The score may have gotten close a few times but in reality the game wasn't close. Oregon's players were just simply too good for Kansas's players, and it showed with how nobody could stop Dorsey or Brooks and nobody could get a shot over Bell. Even at times when Oregon had a bad offensive possession, someone, whether it was Dorsey, Ennis, or Brooks, was able to just get to the hoop and score. I wonder just how much of a blowout the game would've been if Boucher was healthy, no doubt if Boucher was healthy Oregon would've won it all. Even when Oregon finally has their time it's still riddled with bad luck! Lol, nobody more cursed than Oregon. But that was a fun moment, I watch highlights of that game all of the time!
duckfan22
Senior

Re: Your favorite Oregon basketball moment of all time?

Post by duckfan22 »

good subject im going to take a trip back in time...

feb 16th 1974 spent the night outside mac court to be one of the first
in to see the under dog ducks against Bill Walton and UCLA. i was a junior in
high school and was given a student ticket. Ducks showed up to play that day.
Ronnie Lee was held down at first then the Bruins changed defense and he took
over. The best part was watching Walton trying to shoot free throws when the
back board was swaying from the crowd stomping on the floors. It was insane.

Oregon won that day 56-51 and is still my top memory from the pit and there are many.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

So many to pick from, including the one duckfan22 chose. I'll go back in time even farther; to my first game in Mac Court, it actually wasn't called, "The Pit" on Feb.21, 1970. Me and my dad came to the game against UCLA with high expectations, though the Bruins had beaten the Ducks, 75-58, a few weeks earlier, in Pauley.
But it was the Duck's all over in this one. Curtis Rowe, Sidney Wicks had no answer for Stan Love, and my first favorite Duck, Billy Gaskins. The Ducks beat the Bruins 78-65. The next day, the headline on the Register-Guard was, "Who's Number 1, Now?". The Bruins would lose to the Trojans in the last game of the season, but go on to win their 6th championship in 7 years under Wooden.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

Several. All my favs so I am going to basically rank them 1 a.) 1 b.) 1 c.) etc.

1. Joseph Young's 30 points against Wisconsin. He played so hard and he was crying at the end of the game. Don't think I have ever seen a Ducks player give so much.
2. Ridnoir's three point explosion against University of Washington. I believe it was his senior year. He either tied or set the Pac-12 for record three pointers that game.
3. Payton takes down Michigan in a crazy overtime. It was "All Pritchard" for those 5 minutes.
4. The Ducks take down Duke. Duke had embarassed Oregon in the Rose Garden Altman's first year. 2016 was payback.
5. Oregon dismantles Louisville in the pre-season, 2001. Pivotal game in Ducks history. Oregon had looked really good in the first few games that year. But they were going up against a Pitino coached team. Won by 27 points. First time (in a long time) that the Ducks had a great team, top to bottom. You just knew they were capable of going to the Elite Eight.
Last edited by mattc94 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Can't remember the year, but a foul was called as time expired, and Stan Love was called back to the floor at Mac Court to shoot 2... Love made 'em, and the Ducks won.

Place was nuts!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Autzenoise
Five Star Recruit

Post by Autzenoise »

Luke Jackson scoring 39 straight points.
"Canzano is to sports, what Jerry Springer is to news…"
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Autzenoise wrote:Luke Jackson scoring 39 straight points.
That was against Colorado in the NIT, I was there that night. They had a stud post, I can’t remember his name though.
RebelDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by RebelDuck »

Any time the old Mac Court was shaking and you thought the building was going to collapse because the fans were so raucous!
rentdodger
One Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger »

Merganzer wrote:So many to pick from, including the one duckfan22 chose. I'll go back in time even farther; to my first game in Mac Court, it actually wasn't called, "The Pit" on Feb.21, 1970. Me and my dad came to the game against UCLA with high expectations, though the Bruins had beaten the Ducks, 75-58, a few weeks earlier, in Pauley.
But it was the Duck's all over in this one. Curtis Rowe, Sidney Wicks had no answer for Stan Love, and my first favorite Duck, Billy Gaskins. The Ducks beat the Bruins 78-65. The next day, the headline on the Register-Guard was, "Who's Number 1, Now?". The Bruins would lose to the Trojans in the last game of the season, but go on to win their 6th championship in 7 years under Wooden.
That was a great game. Saw both the ‘70 and ‘74 wins in person. Rusty Blair hitting rainbows from the deep corner and Sidney wicks slamming the ball off the backboard and getting teed up.

Billy Gaskins and Bill Drozdiak may arguably been the best back court in Oregon history. Ronny Lee and Bruce Coldren lit it up for the ducks in ‘74.

The crowds were wild back then. I remember somebody hitting John Wooden with an apple in the ‘74 game.

Those UCLA teams from 1967-75 were by far the best college teams in bb history and any win against them was considered a huge achievement.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

For a single moment/play, this was up there...

duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

rentdodger wrote:
Merganzer wrote:So many to pick from, including the one duckfan22 chose. I'll go back in time even farther; to my first game in Mac Court, it actually wasn't called, "The Pit" on Feb.21, 1970. Me and my dad came to the game against UCLA with high expectations, though the Bruins had beaten the Ducks, 75-58, a few weeks earlier, in Pauley.
That was a great game. Saw both the ‘70 and ‘74 wins in person. Rusty Blair hitting rainbows from the deep corner and Sidney wicks slamming the ball off the backboard and getting teed up.

Billy Gaskins and Bill Drozdiak may arguably been the best back court in Oregon history. Ronny Lee and Bruce Coldren lit it up for the ducks in ‘74.

The crowds were wild back then. I remember somebody hitting John Wooden with an apple in the ‘74 game.

Those UCLA teams from 1967-75 were by far the best college teams in bb history and any win against them was considered a huge achievement.

It was told that everytime Walton went into the student section chasing the ball
students pulled the hair on his legs.. this has never been confirmed..
rentdodger
One Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger »

duckfan22 wrote:
rentdodger wrote:

It was told that everytime Walton went into the student section chasing the ball

That is true.

I was a student in ‘74 and we always sat behind the basket. That was some of the tamer things that happened. Walton was a huge trash talker and had a bit of a stutter. Students under the basket in ‘74 would stutter shuuuuutup Bill and he would go crazy.

Stan Love was the worst. Love would man up on a under the basket inbounds and spit on the front of the jersey of the inbounding player. That guy was a piece of work.
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

Agree with all mentioned.

Not my favorite, but must have been about six years old Oregon vs Oregon State at The Igloo. No shot clock of course, Ducks led by one with the ball and 2 minutes left. Outstanding G Barney Holland - later Danny Ainge's coach at North Eugene (?) held the ball on his hip for about 60 seconds.at midcourt. I can still remember the crowd roaring. Finally they came out to meet him but I simply cannot remember what happened. I think we won, though, something like 51-50.
rentdodger
One Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger »

duckfan22 wrote:
rentdodger wrote:

That is true.

I was a student in ‘74 and we always sat behind the basket. That was some of the tamer things that happened. Walton was a huge trash talker and had a bit of a stutter. Students under the basket in ‘74 would stutter shuuuuutup Bill and he would go crazy.

Stan Love was the worst. Love would man up on a under the basket inbounds and spit on the front of the jersey of the inbounding player. That guy was a piece of work.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

rentdodger wrote:

Another note about this game, Larry Holiday, who was assigned Curtis Rowe: "My shoulder dislocated three times in that game, but there was no way I was going to be out of that one."