WBB: #5 Stanford vs Oregon (Mon 6 PM ESPN2)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

WBB: #5 Stanford vs Oregon (Mon 6 PM ESPN2)

Post by greenyellow »

FEB 15 (MON) 6 PM
STANFORD
EUGENE, OR
TV: ESPN or ESPN2
greenyellow

Re: WBB: #5 Stanford vs Oregon (Mon 4 PM ESPN2)

Post by greenyellow »

Only 1 game this week due to injury issues within the Cal program.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

Man, the women keep losing the warm-up games....no idea what to expect from them against Stanford. They can definitely be beaten if the Ducks are playing well, but it has been such a struggle to get into rhythm... :roll:
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

The Ducks have a chance if they can go wild on the perimeter and not penetrate when Brink is guarding the bucket. She is a blocking machine and when she doesn't block shots she bothers shots. Disappointing to lose a local (in-state) kid (Portland) but she qualified down there academically so good for her, I guess.
greenyellow

Re: WBB: #5 Stanford vs Oregon (Mon 6 PM ESPN2)

Post by greenyellow »

bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

panamaslim wrote:The Ducks have a chance if they can go wild on the perimeter and not penetrate when Brink is guarding the bucket. She is a blocking machine and when she doesn't block shots she bothers shots. Disappointing to lose a local (in-state) kid (Portland) but she qualified down there academically so good for her, I guess.
Well, they played right into the Brink no-nos you outlined. Oregon posts playing very poorly tonight. Oregon still mostly looks lost on offense but they put together a run to end the first half to make things interesting for the 2nd half! Mikesell taking what the defense is giving for a change. Paopao is having a nice game. Rest of the team? TBD... :?
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

The ladies are playing pretty tuff late in the 4th... Ducks up by 2, and Stanford is stone cold.

Boley is penetrating, and Prince has been decent from the 3 line.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon still with a chance to win after Stanford misses 2 FTs and they've only got a 2 point lead.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Sucks they couldn't even get a shot up on that last possession.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Execution really went down the crapper the last two minutes. Ball and player movement stopped. Somehow, they still had their chances to win but just couldn't hit.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Execution really went down the crapper the last two minutes. Ball and player movement stopped. Somehow, they still had their chances to win but just couldn't hit.
Execution is just a problem for this team. Period. Some of the passes they attempt are absurdly bad at times. And many of the decisions with the ball are not smart. :roll: Nyara is the number 1 offender with overly aggressive layups, missing the rim, TOs and crazy passes. Comparing this sloppy play to the teams of recent years...it is very jarring.

Buuuut, they mostly play really hard and were one rocksolid veteran player away from winning the conference this year. Thought they would go more with Boley as a volume shooter or that Chavez would be creating and facilitating more, but she's been MIA. The leadership just is not there. Team is still searching...Wouldn't be surprised if they get on a little roll to finish the season, and wouldn't be surprised if they lost to every team with a ranking.
Last edited by bigsugarduck on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

greenyellow wrote:Sucks they couldn't even get a shot up on that last possession.
Kind of reminded me of the Mikesell TOs (travels) at the end of two close Oregon losses earlier this year :o Nothing is more frustrating as a fan than not even taking a shot. Some makes, some misses...But Oregon has managed to close out multiple games with a TO in the most critical moment of the game.

Here's to a more experienced team next year!
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

The box score says 7 TO's from starter Nyara. Don't know as I've ever seen that. I know that Giomi isn't as athletic, but she plays a much cleaner game, sets great screens and shows better court savvy. She certainly would help the team with more minutes. She never looks lost out there.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Prince still plays like she is facing Manute Bol every game when she gets the ball down low. Fades away, shoots quick, tip in attempts instead of grabbing the ball and going up strong.

Are they practicing against 6'6" men players who can jump?

Frankly, they might as well give up posting up as part of their offense. First the pass into the post has a better than 50% chance of being tipped away and stolen, if it gets to the post there is like a 50% chance of a turnover (particularly Sabally), if they do get a shot off it has less than a 50% chance of going in (particularly Prince who shoots much better mid range than defended post shots.)

The team plays better with the bigs playing high post, crashing down for offensive rebounds, mid range jumpers for Prince and drives for Sabally.

Penetrate zones for kick outs or floaters, pick and roll against man to man and retire the low post post-ups until they can have full practices and get the feed passes down.