greenyellow

MBB: Oregon vs #17 USC (Mon 6 PM FS1)

Post by greenyellow »

FEB 22 (MON) 6 PM
USC
LOS ANGELES, CA
TV: FS1
greenyellow

Re: MBB: Oregon vs #17 USC (Mon 6 PM FS1)

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon is making up one game as the conference has rescheduled their January 30th USC game that got postponed due to Oregon's COVID pause.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Who is guarding Mobley? This one is going to be very tough to win.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I’d rather play ucla

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Winner has a huge edge in winning the regular season title. This is the most important game in the conference this year.

I'm glad Williams got a chance to get some rust out against Utah. His athleticism will be needed against USC as Lawson and big Frank are going to have their hands full.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Winner has a huge edge in winning the regular season title. This is the most important game in the conference this year.

I'm glad Williams got a chance to get some rust out against Utah. His athleticism will be needed against USC as Lawson and big Frank are going to have their hands full.
Yup this is a huge one! I’m nervous

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Winner has a huge edge in winning the regular season title. This is the most important game in the conference this year.
I'm not sure how this works. It looks like the Ducks are 1.5 games back to both USC and UCLA. So beating USC tomorrow would still leave Oregon in third place needing help to get past both of the L.A. schools. Did I read that wrong - is there maybe some coronavirus rule where only the loss column is taken into account?

It seems like the biggest conference game will be when the Bruins and Trojans play on 3/6, and that game will likely be for the title, unless both teams have a meltdown this week.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Phalanx wrote:
I'm not sure how this works. It looks like the Ducks are 1.5 games back to both USC and UCLA. So beating USC tomorrow would still leave Oregon in third place needing help to get past both of the L.A. schools. Did I read that wrong - is there maybe some coronavirus rule where only the loss column is taken into account?

It seems like the biggest conference game will be when the Bruins and Trojans play on 3/6, and that game will likely be for the title, unless both teams have a meltdown this week.
Haven't heard how the Pac-12 is handling this scenario, but a number of sports have accounted for this by looking at win %. If they do go this route, Oregon would have a .769 win pct in conference, while SC would be at .750. Win % seems the most fair way to handle it if they aren't able to make up all the games, but the regular season crown doesn't really mean anything at the end of the day outside of seeding in the Pac-12 tourney. As long as they are top 4, they'll get that bye, so I don't care if they are a 1 seed or 3 seed.
Last edited by droop10 on Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Phalanx wrote:

Honestly I don't know either. I was going by what they said on the PAC-12 Network and I assumed they were going by win percentage because of the uneven schedule. I didnt bother to research it.

Edit: I found on the PAc-12 website: Seeding: The seedings and pairings shall be determined upon completion of regular season play. The won-lost percentage record of the teams in regular season Conference play will determine tournament seedings.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

I am pretty sure we have essentially clinched a bye? Since Arizona cannot participate, the Pac-12 is giving byes to the Top 5 teams. AZ is currently in that group, so the first team without a bye is OSU who is currently in 7th at 7-9.

If OSU wins their last 3 games, they would be 10-9. If Oregon loses their last 4, they would still be 9-7.

If my math is right, Oregon has already clinched.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

I think this game is more important in respects to solidifying a spot in the tourney. No idea how the committee is looking at things this year with everything going on, but Oregon's SOS is horrific due to having to cancel all of their preseason games (thank you Larry Scott), then patch together a few at the last minute. I think they're still sitting on the bubble, so all big wins are welcome. Eye test says that Oregon is an obvious tourney team, but the resume doesn't indicate that at this point. Their best win is what? Arizona? They have losses to bad WSU and OSU teams, but those come with asterisks due to missing players and extended time off. This will be the most difficult year for the committee to evaluate anything, and they may have to resort to the eye test more often than usual, which would work out in Oregon's favor.

Nervous about Mobley shredding them due to their lack of size in the post though. Kepnang is going to have to be huge tonight.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Very ugly start. Oregon has been winning ugly games lately but against this really good USC team you need to play clean basketball. So far offensive woes continue, tonight may be a really big wake up game for the players.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Altman needs to start Kepnag over Lawson.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

This is some of the ugliest offense I’ve ever seen in college basketball.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

This team hasn't gotten outhustled very often this year, but getting beat to every darn loose ball tonight. Maybe tired from 3 games in 6 days and also travel, but we need to get used to it with the crazy schedule upcoming.

Nice to see LJ Figueroa start to find his stroke the last couple games.

Also, USC, when they're shooting well, is a heck of a team.