MBB NCAA S16: #7 Oregon vs #6 USC (Sun 6:45 PM TBS)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Re: MBB NCAA S16: #7 Oregon vs #6 USC (Sun 6:45 PM TBS)

Post by bigsugarduck »

Kepnang is making Altman look foolish for not playing him earlier...A Rare Flub from Dana.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

What also sucks is that I feel that we could win this game at minimum 5/10 times. Another cold spell in the first half doomed us.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

bigsugarduck wrote:Kepnang is making Altman look foolish for not playing him earlier...A Rare Flub from Dana.
Lawson never passed the eye test. Sure hope his brother is much better or this will be awkward
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

ducks5ever wrote:
bigsugarduck wrote:Kepnang is making Altman look foolish for not playing him earlier...A Rare Flub from Dana.
Lawson never passed the eye test. Sure hope his brother is much better or this will be awkward
I really liked what Lawson did as a Frosh, but this year has been puzzling...
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
Bigwaved
Four Star Recruit

Post by Bigwaved »

ducks5ever wrote:What also sucks is that I feel that we could win this game at minimum 5/10 times. Another cold spell in the first half doomed us.
Not when all but three guys no show.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
bigsugarduck wrote:USC cannot miss from 3....ugh. They just got the sauce against Oregon this year. I'll root for them, but I will be so indignant if they cool off against Gonzaga.
That’s an easy excuse for Oregon. Many teams have made a lot of 3’s against Oregon this season, that’s not by coincidence, the perimeter defense has been really bad. Good college players should be able to make wide open 3’s.
Might feel that way, but not really true. Opponents shot under 33% from 3 against them. They were nearly in top 20% in the nation in 3 pt. % against. Not elite, but solid. The plan was to make SC shoot from outside, because of the size disparity down low. Wilson getting hot was unexpected, and that’s what wins games. SC’s role guys just outplayed Oregon’s. Just a bad matchup for the Ducks.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

droop10 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
bigsugarduck wrote:USC cannot miss from 3....ugh. They just got the sauce against Oregon this year. I'll root for them, but I will be so indignant if they cool off against Gonzaga.
That’s an easy excuse for Oregon. Many teams have made a lot of 3’s against Oregon this season, that’s not by coincidence, the perimeter defense has been really bad. Good college players should be able to make wide open 3’s.
Might feel that way, but not really true. Opponents shot under 33% from 3 against them. They were nearly in top 20% in the nation in 3 pt. % against. Not elite, but solid. The plan was to make SC shoot from outside, because of the size disparity down low. Wilson getting hot was unexpected, and that’s what wins games. SC’s role guys just outplayed Oregon’s. Just a bad matchup for the Ducks.
That’s a surprising stat, and to be honest I haven’t been able to watch Oregon as much this season (hard to get into college basketball as a CPA), but the PAC-12 tourney against OSU and tonight against USC, the perimeter defense was bad.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

Guys, that sucked. But KEPNANG!
-100/100 effort
-100/100 attitude
-great footwork
-good touch close to the rim
-size (praise the lord)
-potential to be a great rebounder and shot blocker
-and again... that energy

Next year is going to be fun. I don’t think Altman has had a player quite like this in Eugene. Pair him with a stretch 4 (Bittle), and let’s go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Eh. He did just as much bad as good. He brings energy and I’m excited about him going forward, but a lot of his work was in garbage time when SC had let up. Don’t think playing him earlier would have made much difference.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Bigwaved wrote:
ducks5ever wrote:What also sucks is that I feel that we could win this game at minimum 5/10 times. Another cold spell in the first half doomed us.
Not when all but three guys no show.
When a starters matches the amount of points he has with turnovers then you know it’s going to be hard for the team to win the game. Figueroa may have played his worst game as a duck tonight, and Richardson wasn’t much better.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Outside of Eugene and Duarte (And Kepnang late despite getting the facial) we didn't play very well.

USC again had their non shooters(#5 in particular) hit freaking everything, but they also did a nice job on us in that zone.

Richardson was probably the most disappointing, but it's just 1 game, it happens. Williams Jr. is going to have to get better finishing inside next season.

A shame we didn't get more than 1 year watching Eugene. What a great freakin' kid.

Bottom line with this team though, is once Dante went out, we had a ceiling talent wise, because we were so undersized. Still a really fun year.

Go Ducks!
rentdodger
One Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger »

GrantDuck wrote:Outside of Eugene and Duarte (And Kepnang late despite getting the facial) we didn't play very well.

USC again had their non shooters(#5 in particular) hit freaking everything, but they also did a nice job on us in that zone.

Richardson was probably the most disappointing, but it's just 1 game, it happens. Williams Jr. is going to have to get better finishing inside next season.

A shame we didn't get more than 1 year watching Eugene. What a great freakin' kid.

Bottom line with this team though, is once Dante went out, we had a ceiling talent wise, because we were so undersized. Still a really fun year.

Go Ducks!
Good take

USC had a lot to do with Oregon not playing well. Guarding 2 talented 7 footers with small forwards opens up the outside and USC took advantage and hit their shots. USC won’t be able to get away with that against Gonzaga.

I would add that Duarte is a special player that should make an NBA squad. Maybe one of the better all around guards to play here.

Good season and more size coming next year.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Bummer performance. I thought this team was a Final 4 caliber team. It wasn't as good as 2017, but arguably a Top 3 team over the past 20 years. It was a nice second-half adjustment by Altman to put Duarte in the middle of the floor to pick apart that SC zone, but you have to wonder why it wasn't made earlier? The team also came out pretty tentative and passed up so many open shots. It's frustrating, because we played SC even in the second-half. It was a 5-7 minute stretch in the first-half that determined the game. Both teams are much better than their seeds but hopefully the PAC's performance this year earns the conference more respect moving forward. It would have been fun to finally get a chance at playing Gonzaga!
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I was watching an interview with Coach Altman a few days ago and they asked him to compare this team with other great teams in the past, and his immediate response was that this team had no rim protection like a Jordan Bell or Chris Boucher. I thought that was pretty telling in terms of his expectations for this game. Next year looks to be better in that department, but then there will be veteran leadership and probably scoring missing. Oregon never gets everything at once, unfortunately.