Jalen Terry enters transfer portal

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Jalen Terry enters transfer portal

Post by greenyellow »

The hits keep coming for Oregon as Jalen Terry has entered his name in the transfer portal.
GrantDuck
Senior

Re: Jalen Terry enters transfer portal

Post by GrantDuck »

The transfer portal is great because kids should be able to play wherever they want and coaches leave, etc.

The transfer portal sucks because there's FAR too many kids in this generation that quit at the first sign of adversity or lack of playing time. Bad parenting.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Surprising. He's the guy after Richardson.

I wonder if, because of covid, student-athletes aren't getting the usual experience and everyone thinks the grass is greener elsewhere.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

Time to hit the transfer portal for some guards!
rentdodger
One Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger »

StevensTechU wrote:Surprising. He's the guy after Richardson.

I wonder if, because of covid, student-athletes aren't getting the usual experience and everyone thinks the grass is greener elsewhere.
Not really surprising.

Stubblefield leaving is probably a major reason all 3 are going. None of them are irreplaceable pieces, all are long ways from home and the portal has made college sports more transactional than ever between schools and players. Oregon will land a solid asst. replacement that will ultimately bring new pipelines. Hopefully the bigs the ducks have along w/ Richardson, Williams stick. There are a lot of talented wings and guards available. I would not be surprised if Hardy comes back and securing Allen from Utah or Bradley from Cal would be great gets.

Oregon will get some guys, bank on it.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

whats the chances of Allen or Bradley?
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I’m all for transfers but I’m also not understanding some of these guys and their choices. It’s not like Terry was a one and done or two and done prospect. He probably waits one more year and plays with Richardson then he becomes the top guard unless Estrada is better.

Other guys who have moved on, like Miles Norris or Abu Kigab, would have had roles this year had they just waited.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

GoDucksTroll wrote:I’m all for transfers but I’m also not understanding some of these guys and their choices. It’s not like Terry was a one and done or two and done prospect. He probably waits one more year and plays with Richardson then he becomes the top guard unless Estrada is better.

Other guys who have moved on, like Miles Norris or Abu Kigab, would have had roles this year had they just waited.
Patterson too.

This transfer is another in a line of guys who appeared to have a big role ahead of them leaving anyway.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:I’m all for transfers but I’m also not understanding some of these guys and their choices. It’s not like Terry was a one and done or two and done prospect. He probably waits one more year and plays with Richardson then he becomes the top guard unless Estrada is better.

Patterson too.

This transfer is another in a line of guys who appeared to have a big role ahead of them leaving anyway.
A big reason Altman has to rely on transfers is that the HS players he does recruit never stay long enough to allow themselves to develop into major roles as starters/rotation players or leave before they're ready for the pro level.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

These transfers are rarely stars but it’s the thing that keeps our program from being a real contender, and is extremely frustrating at this point. How do other program manage to keep players around? I know transfers happen to almost every team now but we aren’t losing grad transfers, we lose freshman in line for big minutes and likely great careers. I just don’t get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

Gotta remember Altman is filling this team with top 100 recruits. Which is incredible.... but a natural draw back in that, especially with the way the transfer portal is set up and now garnering so much attention, is that these kids all believe they are superstars. They commit expecting big minutes out of the gate. These aren’t the 3 star/lower four star players with high ceilings, happy to be playing on a big stage, that other that other programs are bringing in and developing. Had Richardson stayed at the 2 and Terry carved his way into the regular rotation at pg, I’d bet he would have stuck around. But through his lens, why ride the bench for another year here when he could star(t) somewhere else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

So lame, transfers happening left and right these days...

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

So, just to review: Coach Stubblefield interviews and wins the job with DePaul, and pretty much simultaneously, Oregon's next point guard in line decides to enter his name in the portal and then a few weeks later transfers to DePaul. Is everyone fine with this? It seems almost Taggart-esque to me.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Phalanx wrote:So, just to review: Coach Stubblefield interviews and wins the job with DePaul, and pretty much simultaneously, Oregon's next point guard in line decides to enter his name in the portal and then a few weeks later transfers to DePaul. Is everyone fine with this? It seems almost Taggart-esque to me.
Difference is Stubblefield spent decade+ here. And if Stubblefield is the main reason he came to Oregon, I can't blame him for wanting to follow.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13