WBB assistant Campbell to become Sac State HC

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

WBB assistant Campbell to become Sac State HC

Post by greenyellow »

Kelly Graves is losing a big part of his staff as Mark Campbell is leaving to become the HC at Sacramento State. He's been one of the top recruiters in the Pac-12 ever since his time on Scott Rueck's staff at OSU. Graves will need to find another ace recruiter to his staff now. Edit: Sounds like Campbell may also take another of Graves' assistants as assistant Xavier Lopez may follow him to become his lead assistant.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Re: WBB assistant Campbell to become Sac State HC

Post by GrandpaDuck »

This leaves a major hole in the program. Maybe we can steal OSU's ace recruiter again. Kidding (not really).

I'm really shocked Campbell didn't leave for a P5 program. The number of deep tournament runs led by players he was lead recruiter on is amazing.
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

Not sure what assistant coaches the posts (if any) but I would like that person to maybe leave in the near future. Hebard was really good, but I think Ionescu was more her coach than anyone and she's not here anymore.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Ouch.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

panamaslim wrote:Not sure what assistant coaches the posts (if any) but I would like that person to maybe leave in the near future. Hebard was really good, but I think Ionescu was more her coach than anyone and she's not here anymore.
Jodi Berry coaches the posts. She is versatile though and could easily coach the guards depending on who is hired. I believe (not sure on this) Graves works a lot with the posts too.

I don't have as much issue with the post play this last year as the entry passes from the perimeter players to the posts.

Campbell was a monster recruiter. No Campbell no Ionescu and many others. Besides Coaching guards he was the defensive coach and at least the last two years the defense was very good.

Monster shoes to fill especially in recruiting.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:This leaves a major hole in the program. Maybe we can steal OSU's ace recruiter again. Kidding (not really).

I'm really shocked Campbell didn't leave for a P5 program. The number of deep tournament runs led by players he was lead recruiter on is amazing.
This is my only thought process not knowing more about him and what his reasons are. He could feel the time is right to become a HC so Good Luck to him.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Was hoping to see him stay to see his hard work completed with a National Title.
Unfortunately I think he saw that the work would be cut out for him with this group and it might be slim chances in the next four years and didn't want to wait another quad since the other schools really scooped up the contenders in recruiting.
ICamel
Two Star Recruit

Post by ICamel »

Graves will also need to find a new "Director of Operations" for his program.
Xavier Lopez is married to Megan Lopez, UO’s director of women’s basketball operations.
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

Could be these two saw the writing on the wall and felt the next three years here weren't going to be nationally relevant anyway, so move on and be remembered for the role they played in the Big Three phenomenon, and if they were to turn around a miserable program like Sac State then major conference ADs would quickly come calling.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Good to see the women's program expectations have reached the unrealistic level of the men's programs. If someone doesn't figure it all out their first year, they've been labeled a bust by the board. I don't really follow the team that closely, but didn't they just have 1 returning starter? They made a Sweet 16 with a fairly inexperienced team, but the writing is on the wall that they won't be doing anything the next 3 years!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Campbell's staff continues being a heavily Oregon affair with him hiring Minyon Moore as an assistant.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

So the WBB coach at USC just announced his retirement. Had Campbell not taken this Sac State job, I would have been sweating that USC would be going after him and I would have dreaded him ending up coaching against us in the conference.

Congrats to Minyon Moore. I thought she might end up in coaching.