WBB hires Arizona assistant Nared-Hairston

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

WBB hires Arizona assistant Nared-Hairston

Post by greenyellow »

Kelly Graves has started to fill out his coaching staff again by hiring Arizona assistant coach Jackie Nared-Hairston.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

WBB hires new Assistant Coach

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Jackie Nared Hairston has been hired away from Arizona as an assistant coach. Reputation as a very good recruiter and a players favorite. Worked at Oregon for one season previously. In her career she has worked for one or two seasons then moved on to better jobs within the conference (UW>WSU>UO>UA>UO), as she is a coach on the rise. A high scoring guard in the WAC then Europe.

https://goducks.com/news/2021/4/30/wome ... coach.aspx
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Re: WBB hires Arizona assistant Nared-Hairston

Post by panamaslim »

Sounds like a great hire, especially the recruiting part. I dream of someday getting the likes of a Bueckers or a Clark or a Van Lith. We may already have one in PaoPao, remains to be seen. Afraid I have to agree with folks who say that wbb player rankings 1 to about 10 are true blue stars and there's a big falloff after that. I'm glad we have the Fab Five, but so far have seen nothing to light my fire. Go Ducks and Nared Hairston!
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

panamaslim wrote:Sounds like a great hire, especially the recruiting part. I dream of someday getting the likes of a Bueckers or a Clark or a Van Lith. We may already have one in PaoPao, remains to be seen. Afraid I have to agree with folks who say that wbb player rankings 1 to about 10 are true blue stars and there's a big falloff after that. I'm glad we have the Fab Five, but so far have seen nothing to light my fire. Go Ducks and Nared Hairston!
You mean like when they got Ianescu? Someday!
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

droop10 wrote:
panamaslim wrote:Sounds like a great hire, especially the recruiting part. I dream of someday getting the likes of a Bueckers or a Clark or a Van Lith. We may already have one in PaoPao, remains to be seen. Afraid I have to agree with folks who say that wbb player rankings 1 to about 10 are true blue stars and there's a big falloff after that. I'm glad we have the Fab Five, but so far have seen nothing to light my fire. Go Ducks and Nared Hairston!
That's exactly what I mean: it's spelled Ionescu, and as I remember she was #4 ranked coming out.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

panamaslim wrote:
droop10 wrote:
That's exactly what I mean: it's spelled Ionescu, and as I remember she was #4 ranked coming out.
Eh, my bad. Typing on the phone in a hurry. Your comment makes it seem as if they can’t snag a top recruit, and never have since it’s only a dream that it could someday occur. Might just be weirdly worded.
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

My bad, probably the wording. Wouldn't be the first time.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Playing devils advocate here....messed up year due to Covid, lack of upper class leadership. That may have a lot to do with spotty play by the freshmen. Just remember how much better Sabrina and Ruthie were, year after year. I’ll trust graves on this, he recruited these players and he seems to know just a little bit about women’s college basketball
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

duckfan96 wrote:Playing devils advocate here....messed up year due to Covid, lack of upper class leadership. That may have a lot to do with spotty play by the freshmen. Just remember how much better Sabrina and Ruthie were, year after year. I’ll trust graves on this, he recruited these players and he seems to know just a little bit about women’s college basketball
I said in preseason this would be a super challenging team to coach, new players, young players, limited practices, too many players. Too few players markedly better than others. The advantage that Sabrina's freshmen group had was they were coming into a team that only had a couple quality players. Finishing at 500 would be a good year. The young players could make mistakes and learn as there wasn't anybody better on the bench.

Next season Sabally and Prince are givens. Paopao, Dugalic and Parrish all flashed very high ceilings. I really expect at least 2 of those to be solid double digit scorers next year.

Dugalic in particular, finding herself could really make this team deadly. She can feed the post, score at every level, rebound fantastically for a 3, run in transition and defend. Were I coaching this team I'd spend a ton of time and resources trying to tap into her potential. With her it seems mostly mental, lack of confidence and playing too fast.

Paopao will be good if she is healthy, her skill set is already there.

Parrish needs both confidence to find her shot and to learn to play against bigger players than she faced in high school. In HS she was above average size, now she's not. Her low release point on her 3s and lack of a floater, or a one handed shot like a jump hook when she is around the basket are her weaknesses. If she adapts and hits her threes even with her low release she has shown she can drive around defenders overplaying her, she just needs to develop some tools to finish down low.

This is a team that can be very good this year with strong off season development a lot of it being mental.

Edit: crap, never mind