Hardy to the G League

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Hardy to the G League

Post by GrantDuck »

Seemed the writing was on the wall.

I'm 100% on the G-league being the worst choice for 90% of players. Most kids are NOT ready to be professionals at age 17-19.

If you fail, you end up broke with no degree in 5 years. The G-league is also all about guys trying to get theirs and not team play. College gets you more promotion as a player(see Zion) and ultimately makes you more $ or at worst gets you a degree.

The one positive is that if you get into a good system(say Toronto) they will actually try and develop you, but it's not every team that's like that.
greenyellow

Re: Hardy to the G League

Post by greenyellow »

The first year of HS players going to the G League instead of college has actually been a success. Two players (Jalen Green and Jonathan Kuminga) are viewed as lottery picks while two others (Isaiah Todd and Dashien Nix) are likely draft picks as well. Saying they'll be broke is also wrong because they got paid $500K to join the league for a year.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I frankly would prefer a universe in which they both exist. My interest in Ducks basketball probably wouldn't be a lot different if every team was playing walk-ons instead of future NBA players. All these Cinderellas in the tournament have almost no NBA talent yet they're still really fun to watch. Some of the value is in the players, but a lot of it is in the schools/brands. At the same time, 18 year olds who have no interest in college shouldn't be forced to go that route as the only means of getting to professional basketball. If another endeavor like steam-fitting suddenly required a four-year degree and proof that you took a couple years of a foreign language, I'd find that disturbing. So I'm all for guys going the vocational route if it suits them. If they make the less-than-optimal choice, well that's on them, because it's not on any of us to paternalistically tell them what to do.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

greenyellow wrote:The first year of HS players going to the G League instead of college has actually been a success. Two players (Jalen Green and Jonathan Kuminga) are viewed as lottery picks while two others (Isaiah Todd and Dashien Nix) are likely draft picks as well. Saying they'll be broke is also wrong because they got paid $500K to join the league for a year.
And last time I checked... college didn't cost 500k. Plenty of people do just fine going to college a little later in life.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

More power to Jaden Hardy. The G league is fun to watch sometimes. It looks like both pathways for amateur athletes can exist and be successful. And soon athletes can earn some dough in college. Then we can put to bed the notion of college basketball dying a horrible death. So that a Euro style soccer academy system takes over professional basketball. (Makes shooting motion to trash can.)
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

greenyellow wrote:The first year of HS players going to the G League instead of college has actually been a success. Two players (Jalen Green and Jonathan Kuminga) are viewed as lottery picks while two others (Isaiah Todd and Dashien Nix) are likely draft picks as well. Saying they'll be broke is also wrong because they got paid $500K to join the league for a year.

When most NBA players are broke 2 years after retiring, I don’t see how 500k will last long for a 18 yo kid. It would be cool if the G league helped get kids a college education while playing there.