Addison Patterson

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

northbeachsf
Freshman

Addison Patterson

Post by northbeachsf »

The Patterson saga continues. Apparently today he left the Nevada program.

Leave Oregon when you are probably in line to get 20-30 min a game.
Sit an entire year during a year of free eligibility
Leave Nevada before ever playing a game.

This has to be one of the strangest college paths for a high 4* player out of HS.
gogreen55
Senior

Re: Addison Patterson

Post by gogreen55 »

What a bozo.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Transfer portal with a bunch of teenagers and kid used to be the man/woman in HS..then reality checks them....the chaos and bad decisions, well, it's to be expected at this point.

I completely agree that anyone should be able to transfer, but that won't be how I'm raising my kid.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I’m not sure he is leaving Nevada on his own. It sounds like they booted him.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

GrantDuck wrote:Transfer portal with a bunch of teenagers and kid used to be the man/woman in HS..then reality checks them....the chaos and bad decisions, well, it's to be expected at this point.

I completely agree that anyone should be able to transfer, but that won't be how I'm raising my kid.
Would it matter if:
a) you invested 10s of thousands of dollars on private coaching, camps, AAU.
b) you felt coach misled/lied to your kid
c) think the coach is under-utilizing your kid or being unfairly harsh.
d) combination of some of the above.

remember that B and C are perception and will be biased in favor of your kid.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

buckmarkduck wrote:I’m not sure he is leaving Nevada on his own. It sounds like they booted him.
If I remember correctly there was more to the story about him leaving Oregon as well.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

:cry: Loved his talent but every interview he had a Oregon screamed that he was not going to make good decisions in the future.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:Transfer portal with a bunch of teenagers and kid used to be the man/woman in HS..then reality checks them....the chaos and bad decisions, well, it's to be expected at this point.

Would it matter if:

a: No
b: It depends on what was said. I sincerely doubt Altman promises these kids anything other than to coach them hard.
c: That's the coach's decision unless there's abuse going on. Would wager 90%+ of coaches in the NCAA care most about winning when it comes to who plays/doesn't.

All individual circumstances are different. If you're looking at a kid that sticks it out for 2-3 years and wants to get more playing time, totally understandable...but so many kids you see like half a season or not wanting to compete, and that's a problem.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

GrantDuck wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:

Would it matter if:

b: It depends on what was said. I sincerely doubt Altman promises these kids anything other than to coach them hard.
c: That's the coach's decision unless there's abuse going on. Would wager 90%+ of coaches in the NCAA care most about winning when it comes to who plays/doesn't.

All individual circumstances are different. If you're looking at a kid that sticks it out for 2-3 years and wants to get more playing time, totally understandable...but so many kids you see like half a season or not wanting to compete, and that's a problem.
I'm not talking specifically about Addison or Altman as none of these may apply in this case, just transfers in general. But in my life's experience I have seen parents dealing with the A - B - C above from every side. Some times it's real and sometimes its perception which might as well be real. Lots of coaches are a-holes, lots of parents have blinders on regarding their kids
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:

Would it matter if:

I'm not talking specifically about Addison or Altman as none of these may apply in this case, just transfers in general. But in my life's experience I have seen parents dealing with the A - B - C above from every side. Some times it's real and sometimes its perception which might as well be real. Lots of coaches are a-holes, lots of parents have blinders on regarding their kids
For sure. It appears your life's experience has educated you well. :idea: :)

My generalization was perhaps too broad, but...it just feels like kids aren't being taught to stick out challenging situations very often these days. It was interesting to hear Cristobal talk about it recently as well. I think he feels similar to how I do if I read the tea leaves right.