What is going on with the Liberty.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duck023
Four Star Recruit

What is going on with the Liberty.

Post by duck023 »

I think Sabrina is the type that is going to be great no matter what type of coaching and players she has but I'm getting serious Mariota flashbacks the way the coach poorly uses her. I don't think I did a good enough job calling out Malarkey the coach of the Titans when he was screwing over Mariota. So now Walt Hopkins is on my radar and he can't possibly think Sabrina having zero shots in the first quarter and 6 total shots is a formula to winning.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Re: What is going on with the Liberty.

Post by DmoneyDuck »

I've watched every Liberty game this year (btw WNBA League Pass is phenomenal and only $17), and it's no surprise the team wins when Sabrina is playing at a high level. The Liberty are a good, young team with a lot of options across the board but are they too deep? I noticed Sab's bigger performances came when the rotation's were smaller and she was able to play minutes in bulk.

A few observations:
- Sab doesn't always bring the ball up the floor. I think that's a miss since she's not a knock-down shooter, which negates her off-ball impact. She's also one of the best passers in the game, so taking the ball out of her hands really stagnates the offense.
- Natasha Howard, the center from Seattle acquired in the offseason, is hurt. Not only does she shore up the defense and rebounding, but gives Sab a pick & roll partner on offense.
- Speaking of the pick & roll, the Liberty have gone completely away from it as of late. I'm not sure if it's due to roster construction or strategy, but Sab isn't the type of guard to break her opponent down off the dribble. She's at her best in the P&R. Either run more or make a move to find her a Ruthie Hebard-type big who can help dissect the defense.
- I mentioned it above, but her shooting is terrible inconsistent right now. A lot of times, esp. while on the move, she's leaning forward in her shot causing it to miss. With this basically being her rookie season, I think she's still waiting for the game to slow down for her at all times. I think she's rushing a bit. She's a much better shooter than she showed so far in the WNBA.
- Lastly, there's now tape to go off of for her opponents. She's not creeping up on anyone any more, so teams have scouted her and taken her out of games recently. It's on her and Walt to make the necessary adjustments going forward.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Man it's actually getting worse!!!! If Sabrina isn't healthy enough to play then don't play her. However I'm starting to think the coach is pulling the same thing as the Titans coach did on Mariota because he doesn't like her or doesn't know how to coach a talented player. She plays like 10 minutes and only gets 2 shots. Either she's too hurt to play or she should have more playing time and shots. Don't ruin her confidence by having her average 2 points per game.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

I also wonder if joining Durant's agency has some how effected Sabrina in a bad way. She's been averaging like 4 points per game since joining Durant's agency.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Truth be told, it's been a tough start to her WNBA career for Sabrina. She missed her first season and almost halfway through her second season, she's averaging less than 11 ppg and has scored less than 10 in seven straight games.

Given the crazy amount of hype – she started out her career on State Farm commercials next to Chris Paul – I think this has to be disappointing for everyone, and the clock is already ticking as to who she'll be in the league. That's a heavy burden to put on her, but she came in anointed as the next star. I believe she's awesome, I watched her too many times to think otherwise, and I hope she breaks out. But so far it's felt more like Harrington and Mariota than Herbert.
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

When Howard returns healthy we will know for sure what Sabrina's trajectory in the W will look like. I predict she'll be her old self.

I'm not sure, is tendinitis from a severe ankle sprain a permanent thing? I'm concerned about that. Thanks.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Sab had zero points last game, rough.

I think there's a couple things going on.

1. Adjusting to the better athletes in the WNBA she faces every night. Seems to have a little more trouble getting her shot off, especially those runners inside.

2. If Sab is getting zero points, the coach certainly isn't putting her in the best position to succeed.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

I hope she can get healthy in this all star break. There are games when she looks like the best player on the floor but even in those games her teammates don't do a great job at getting her the ball. She has bailed them out of two losses with a few clutch shots at the end of the game but those were the only shots she took. Also she doesn't get any calls from the refs. However I still believe a healthy Sabrina can dominate despite coaching, teammates and refs.