MBB/WBB start season ranked in top 15

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

MBB/WBB start season ranked in top 15

Post by greenyellow »

Both the MBB and WBB are ranked in the top 15 to start the season, with the women at #10 and the men at #13.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: MBB/WBB start season ranked in top 15

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Very excited. Can't wait. Like always I will have to keep a roster open on the men's team because I wont know 3/4 of the players.

Also quite a few new players on the Women's team. I was expecting the new 6'8" player Kyei to be a complete project but she led the team in scoring in their 40 minute scrimmage. All Pac-10 transfer from USC Rogers is used to playing with the ball in her hands as is Paopao, it will be interesting to see them play together.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

I'm pumped for the season(s)!

After a super tough year, I could see the women's team make the kind of noise Grave's was so optimistic for going into last year. Though Oregon lost both games, they gave Stanford all they could handle in two close losses last year. With a year of experience under their belt, I could see Oregon elevate to Stanford's level, which makes them contenders to win it all.

Likewise, this might be the best team Altman's has had since the FF run. New players are in there as always, but can they finally put together an injury-free season?
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Saw an article that said no player on the WBB's team has played in front of a home crowd, due to covid and roster turnover. That's wild.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

bigsugarduck wrote:I'm pumped for the season(s)!

After a super tough year , I could see the women's team make the kind of noise Grave's was so optimistic for going into last year. Though Oregon lost both games, they gave Stanford all they could handle in two close losses last year. With a year of experience under their belt, I could see Oregon elevate to Stanford's level, which makes them contenders to win it all.
When Paopao went done there wasn't a single perimeter player who could break down the defense, just a collection of 3 point set shooters, all of whom had gone into a prolonged shooting slump. Rogers a healthy Paopao and at least one of the other transfer guards should change that formula and make it easier for the big girls to get the ball.

Saw some great stuff over the summer from Scheer and Watson hinting at the potential we were hoping for. Parrish showed last year she has more to her game then expected but the one thing that was supposed to be a given (shooting) just wasn't there last year. I'm hoping at least one of the three is able to harness their raw potential and this team will be deep and dangerous.

Also, isnt it great that a super tough year was a Sweet 16 appearance.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
bigsugarduck wrote:I'm pumped for the season(s)!

After a super tough year , I could see the women's team make the kind of noise Grave's was so optimistic for going into last year. Though Oregon lost both games, they gave Stanford all they could handle in two close losses last year. With a year of experience under their belt, I could see Oregon elevate to Stanford's level, which makes them contenders to win it all.
When Paopao went done there wasn't a single perimeter player who could break down the defense, just a collection of 3 point set shooters, all of whom had gone into a prolonged shooting slump. Rogers a healthy Paopao and at least one of the other transfer guards should change that formula and make it easier for the big girls to get the ball.

Saw some great stuff over the summer from Scheer and Watson hinting at the potential we were hoping for. Parrish showed last year she has more to her game then expected but the one thing that was supposed to be a given (shooting) just wasn't there last year. I'm hoping at least one of the three is able to harness their raw potential and this team will be deep and dangerous.

Also, isnt it great that a super tough year was a Sweet 16 appearance.
Gives an idea what the floor looks like under Graves from here on out...love it.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Starters for tonights exhibition are PaoPao, Rogers, Scherr, Sabally and Prince.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

I would say a 93-26 victory over Div. II Saint Martin is a pretty good start.
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

No Bigby?
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Duck07 wrote:Starters for tonights exhibition are PaoPao, Rogers, Scherr, Sabally and Prince.
I laughed when they came out with that lineup. I had been wondering who would be the primary ball handler between Paopao and Rogers, and low and behold they started a third point guard with them. Paopao really took to being an combo guard in this game. Looked for her own shot without guilt. Scored 20 of the first 47 points.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Remember we also started off HOT last year, and then shooting dropped like a rock for a lot of the players.
Yes, PaoPao was down at the end of the year, but I don't buy her as an excuse for how poorly the team was playing overall. Remember they were getting schooled, punked, and yelled at in the face by an OSU high school player.
We also had others who ended up leaving at the end anyways and sounded very salty on their way out.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

shoparound wrote:Remember we also started off HOT last year, and then shooting dropped like a rock for a lot of the players.
Yes, PaoPao was down at the end of the year, but I don't buy her as an excuse for how poorly the team was playing overall. Remember they were getting schooled, punked, and yelled at in the face by an OSU high school player.
We also had others who ended up leaving at the end anyways and sounded very salty on their way out.
Huh? Was anyone down on PaoPao at the end of last year?

My recollection was that Mikesell was the blackhole of available shots, creating an overall dissonance on the team. She completely sucked the rhythm out of the team.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

bigsugarduck wrote:
shoparound wrote:Remember we also started off HOT last year, and then shooting dropped like a rock for a lot of the players.
Huh? Was anyone down on PaoPao at the end of last year?

My recollection was that Mikesell was the blackhole of available shots, creating an overall dissonance on the team. She completely sucked the rhythm out of the team.
What I remember was 5 players who had been 40% 3 point shooters, who largely relied on the 3 for their offense all going into an extended shooting slump together, allowing defenses to pack the middle making for difficult entry passes that were largely poorly executed to boot. (Chavez, Shelly, Mikesell, Boley, Parrish, Scheer). This years team has replaced the first 4 with players who aren't as much 3 point shooters but can put the ball on the floor. Hopefully it works out not having as many 3 point shooters, but Parrish, Scheer and Paopao have the potential to be 40% 3 shooters if the former 2 ever find their strokes during games as opposed to practice.