WBB vs UCD

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

shoparound
Four Star Recruit

WBB vs UCD

Post by shoparound »

Team is struggling... down to UCD in the 2nd but close!
injuries wrecking havoc right now. Unfortunately I have a feeling we have a player or two who will just be constantly injured throughout the career.

1 pt lead at half
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Re: WBB vs UCD

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Without the top 2 guards, the Ducks are weak at that position. Missing likely the top 3 scorers makes offense a chore.

On the plus side Kyei is so close to being an offensive force. She struggled with 2 footers or she would have had another 6 or more points in her 8 minutes of play. Even missing all those I'm not sure why she didn't get at least 16 minutes. She was drawing fouls and scored 6 in only 8 minutes. I'd play her as many minutes as she can handle to get her experience during this rough stage of not having any guards or outside shooting, then if the guards ever come back this team would be dangerous come tourney time.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

I guess WBB interest dropped dramatically this year.
The team just isn't impressive. We can say oh they're missing some people, but remember this team is still made of 4* and 5* recruits... and losing to UC Davis! a decent team. but yeah
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

For as much as Graves talks up Prince, she just disappears from games and her rebounding is real lackluster for someone her height.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

greenyellow wrote:For as much as Graves talks up Prince, she just disappears from games and her rebounding is real lackluster for someone her height.
This is why I think Graves needs to really push Kyei's development. Prince is stretch 4, not a consistent inside force. She needs a banger to complement her. Sabally does it and Kyei is close.

In fairness to Prince though, with so little outside shooting threat and turnover prone guard play, defenses are working hard to keep Prince away from the ball and away from the basket.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Prince is just not the type to take over a game and be unstoppable consistently. She's FAR behind any of the stellar players we had the past few years.
Got potential for sure, but everyone's acting like this is Breanna Stewart.
Kei has so much potential it's a lot of fun to see.
Now the rest of the players, i'm starting to get worried have reached their peak already. Does that #1 recruiting class have another level they can reach? PaoPao is good but like I mentioned I don't see her consistently being healthy her career. We will have only flashes of her here and there. Everyone else is getting mugged by any level competition we have faced.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

shoparound wrote:I guess WBB interest dropped dramatically this year.
The team just isn't impressive. We can say oh they're missing some people, but remember this team is still made of 4* and 5* recruits... and losing to UC Davis! a decent team. but yeah
You don't need the word, "interest" they have dropped off period. The only thing I'm interested in is how good Sydney Parrish becomes. Why should fans be interested in a team that loses to UC Davis. I told people when the Pandemic cost Oregon a national title that Oregon fans wouldn't come back to a below average team.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

shoparound wrote:Prince is just not the type to take over a game and be unstoppable consistently. She's FAR behind any of the stellar players we had the past few years.
Now the rest of the players, i'm starting to get worried have reached their peak already. Does that #1 recruiting class have another level they can reach? PaoPao is good but like I mentioned I don't see her consistently being healthy her career. We will have only flashes of her here and there. Everyone else is getting mugged by any level competition we have faced.
I'm the one that made the Sedona and Breanna Stewart comparison. They both look similar and have a similar personality but unless Sedona has a weight room to be mad at she can't get to that level of competitiveness.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duck023 wrote:
shoparound wrote:Prince is just not the type to take over a game and be unstoppable consistently. She's FAR behind any of the stellar players we had the past few years.
I'm the one that made the Sedona and Breanna Stewart comparison. They both look similar and have a similar personality but unless Sedona has a weight room to be mad at she can't get to that level of competitiveness.
Well if Sedona could handle the ball like Breanna then any comparison might start to make sense if you squint. They are just different players even if they might physically look similar but Sedona is a Post and Breanna a Wing. Satou looks more like Breanna than anyone else we've had if you need to find a comparison.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Well they already at 3 losses (4-3) and BARELY got by Portland.
This is going to a rebuilding season. All the work that Sabrina, Satou, Maite and Ruthie have done, might be to an end by mid-season. This team might not even make the NCAAs.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

shoparound wrote:Well they already at 3 losses (4-3) and BARELY got by Portland.
This is going to a rebuilding season. All the work that Sabrina, Satou, Maite and Ruthie have done, might be to an end by mid-season. This team might not even make the NCAAs.
Depends on the extent of the injuries to Sabally, Paopao and Rogers. Get back any 2 of the 3 and the playoffs are still likely. Get back Sabally and one of the 2 guards and they will be top 5 in the conference. (barring other key injuries)

This period with the 3 big scorers out could have a silver lining if Parrish, Scheer or Watson use these extra minutes to get their confidence up so they can be effective contributors when and if the stars get healthy.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
shoparound wrote:Well they already at 3 losses (4-3) and BARELY got by Portland.
Depends on the extent of the injuries to Sabally, Paopao and Rogers. Get back any 2 of the 3 and the playoffs are still likely. Get back Sabally and one of the 2 guards and they will be top 5 in the conference. (barring other key injuries)

This period with the 3 big scorers out could have a silver lining if Parrish, Scheer or Watson use these extra minutes to get their confidence up so they can be effective contributors when and if the stars get healthy.
Don’t forget Kyei. She has a lot of ceiling.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Whoa whoa whoa. It may be a rebuilding year for sure, but the work that KG and those Stars put in is not for naught. KG is learning how to take his Coaching to the next level while being without the services of one of the all-time greatest Women's BBall players ever. Each team has to learn how to win and they'll be better for this period even if it isn't what we're used to seeing from them.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

nogerO wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:

Don’t forget Kyei. She has a lot of ceiling.
I didn't include Kyei because KG isn't playing her much, he is being more patient and cautious with her development than I would be.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Duck07 wrote:
Whoa whoa whoa. It may be a rebuilding year for sure, but the work that KG and those Stars put in is not for naught. KG is learning how to take his Coaching to the next level while being without the services of one of the all-time greatest Women's BBall players ever. Each team has to learn how to win and they'll be better for this period even if it isn't what we're used to seeing from them.
The legacy is still strong. The 2022 class is ranked 2nd in the country. 2023 has a combo guard that I think is going to be great. The Sabrina part of the legacy is really strong in that we got Paopao, 5 star Gray next class and then Amari Whiting in 2023. (Love Whiting's game, as a Freshman she looked like a young Payton Pritchard, way ahead of her age. Her brothers freshman film looked Pritchardish too. He'll be playing at BSU when back from Mission)