MBB: #1 Baylor @ Oregon (Dec. 18, Sat 7 PM ESPN2)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Re: MBB: #1 Baylor @ Oregon (Dec. 18, Sat 7 PM ESPN2)

Post by dd10snoop28 »

and it continues...
dd10snoop28
Senior

Post by dd10snoop28 »

These last 5 minutes tells me a couple of things about our team/coaches:

1/ poor preparation

2/ poor practices

3/ poor player development

I wonder if Altman is losing steam as he is getting later in years, because we are not playing anywhere near our level of talent. While this isn't the most talented team we have had, there is no way we should be 6-6 and losing to the teams we are losing to.

And it's not just that we are losing, it is HOW we are losing. That is, the exact same ways. No leadership, poor team defense, poor defensive communication, and overall low IQ basketball. I don't mind if we lose because of talent, but the reasons we are losing reflect poorly on the coaching.
dd10snoop28
Senior

Post by dd10snoop28 »

The only bright spot: #11. Soares is his name I believe.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Well wasn’t the blowout we thought it’d be, ducks fought back late to make it respectable after an overall disappointing second half compared to the first. Just a few thoughts:

Should Altman consider benching Richardson? He’s been a liability on both sides of the ball. His tentative play and fear of physical contact makes it way too easy to stop him. He excessively dribbles around the perimeter and just stands on defense and never blocks out. Baylor ran away with it when they forced the offense to go through him, they even gave him a lane to the hoop multiple times knowing what he slightest bit or contact would throw him off. This was covered up by Pritchard and Duarte’s leadership but now that they’re gone it’s on Richardson to step up and he hasn’t done it yet. As long as he’s timid he’s going to hurt the team.

Dante, like so many big men in recent history with Oregon, lacks a lot of basic fundamentals. We NEED a real big man coach. Dante has stone hands and stone feet, he and Kepnang NEVER seal off a defender when a wing has a lane to the hoop, they look confused when they get the ball, and they often leave the center wide open on defense. Dante has been here a while we shouldn’t see these sort of thing and it doesn’t seem like Kepnang improved at all in the off-season. We need a quality big man coach who can coach these guys up.

My gosh Oregon defenders ball watch so much! They let the most athletic guy in the building run right by them for an alley oop way too many times! Watch your man not the ball! That’s basic basketball.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The 2nd half was how Oregon has been playing much of this season. Just way too many turnovers and empty possessions. Right now, they have no real alpha dog with Richardson playing how he is.
dd10snoop28
Senior

Post by dd10snoop28 »

While I agree re: Richardson, there is no legitimate alternative.

Here are the guys who should definitely be starting

1) Williams
2) Soares
3) either Kepnang/Dante

That leaves two wing/guard spots to be filled. No way I'd start Harmon/Young/Gurrier over Richardson even with Will Rich playing badly.
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

Overall, Oregon is playing a lot better now. They will win 19 games going into the conference playoffs and take it from there. Just my prediction.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

They are starting to look a little better. The was a great first half against Baylor.

The good news is that the conference is not very good overall, so Oregon should be able to turn the corner and win some games in January and February.

The bad news is outside of UCLA, Arizona, and USC there are not any opportunities to stock up on good wins. And they only get AZ once on the road. Oregon essentially has zero quality wins right now and a Quad 4 loss, so getting into the NCAA tourney is going to take a big run in conference play. This team needs to turn the corner right now, as there is little to no margin left for losses.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Yup much better overall. There’s a glimmer of hope.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13