So many big men!

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OG Duck
Two Star Recruit

So many big men!

Post by OG Duck »

I saw how Kel'el Ware is now a consensus 5 star recruit and started thinking... Oregon sure has a lot of big men on its roster, specifically at the center position. Assuming everyone sticks around for next year, we'll have the following centers in the lineup:

1) Dante
2) Franck
3) Bittle
4) Johnson
5) Ware

Who, if anyone, leaves after this season? Will Altman play any of these guys at the same time?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: So many big men!

Post by StevensTechU »

My guess is Dante will go pro and 1-2 will transfer out.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Bittle can shoot. If they want to super-size the lineup, they could possibly play Bittle some at the 3, Ware at the 4, with Kepnang and Johnson rotating at center. Hopefully Ware is as athletic as advertised, and like Bittle, could play all 3 front court positions. Not Altman’s style, but you never know.
OG Duck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OG Duck »

On the one hand, I hope Dante sticks around for another season. But there are simply not even minutes to go around for Dante, Kepnang, Bottle, and Johnson at the 5. If Ware and Bittle can be effective at the 4, that would be fantastic. Should be enough minutes for all of them between the 4/5. Hopefully Johnson doesn't mind being at the end of the bench.

If anyone transfers, I hope it is Johnson.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

If Dante keeps playing this well, he probably won't be back next season.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

northbeachsf wrote:If Dante keeps playing this well, he probably won't be back next season.
I'd love to see Dante play well enough to be drafted in the first. Really like his game but he is yet another top post recruit we barely got to see play if that happens...

Really like whit I've seen from all the young post players, honestly. Would hate to lose any of them, which is why I hope Dante dominates to close out the year and makes an expected jump.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

bigsugarduck wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:If Dante keeps playing this well, he probably won't be back next season.
I'd love to see Dante play well enough to be drafted in the first. Really like his game but he is yet another top post recruit we barely got to see play if that happens...

Really like whit I've seen from all the young post players, honestly. Would hate to lose any of them, which is why I hope Dante dominates to close out the year and makes an expected jump.
I'm not sure how likely Dante getting drafted in the first is, because his game doesn't really translate to today's NBA very well. With all of the small ball lineups and spreading the floor, there's not a high demand for bigs that aren't able to shoot the 3 ball and aren't dominant rebounders or defensive presences. I could be wrong, but while I like Dante, I see him as a late 2nd rounder at best. As it stands now, he doesn't appear on any prospect rankings or draft projections that I've seen. However, if he graduates, I could see him going for the G League or oversees to play, as I know he'd like to provide for his family.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

droop10 wrote:
bigsugarduck wrote:

I'm not sure how likely Dante getting drafted in the first is, because his game doesn't really translate to today's NBA very well. With all of the small ball lineups and spreading the floor, there's not a high demand for bigs that aren't able to shoot the 3 ball and aren't dominant rebounders or defensive presences. I could be wrong, but while I like Dante, I see him as a late 2nd rounder at best. As it stands now, he doesn't appear on any prospect rankings or draft projections that I've seen. However, if he graduates, I could see him going for the G League or oversees to play, as I know he'd like to provide for his family.
Agree. Dante looks like he would be a complete waste of a draft pick.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

I’m no scout, but Dante has shown a surprising amount of athleticism, patience, and touch as he’s gotten more comfortable at this level. He seems to run the floor well, he’s a smart, fluid defender, and I think his athleticism may have been buried beneath two years of injuries and the discomfort that comes with transitioning to the college level.

Currently, he’s playing like a true 5, but because he works his tail off, I think there might be a mid range game and an ability to face the hoop and get to the basket from the top of the key if he and Altman keep at it. Maybe a taller Udonis Haslem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

For Dante it's always been about staying healthy(and maybe a bit as a freshman getting stronger).

Really hope Bittle stays in the program and doesn't transfer because he didn't play much this year. He has to understand that his body wasn't quite ready for D-1 just yet and if N'faly leaves he'll have a major role next season at the 4 position.

Franck needs to learn to fucking catch. Get him on one of the WR juggs machines or something. At least twice a game someone throws him a perfect pass or lob and he fumbles it out of bounds or loses it in the air. Love how hard he plays though!
OG Duck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OG Duck »

Franck really struggled last night with fouls. I love the energy he brought, but he needs to slow down and play with more control on D. He just jumps at everything and easily gets baited with pump fakes. If he can learn how to stay vertical and control his body more, he can be a top tier interior defender.