bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Re: 2023 G Mookie Cook announcing commitment

Post by bigsugarduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Choosing between Oregon, Kentucky. And Gonzaga. Geez between that bunch who thought one would be an NIT team, one would go out in the first round, and the other would go out in the Sweet Sixteen? Clearly any of those teams could really use his help!
I mean, we made it to the sweet sixteen the 4 years before. So don’t follow that logic.
I’m saying all three teams underperformed compared to expectations.

Also that’s not true, last time Oregon made the Sweet Sixteen was 2017. 2018 went to the NIT, 2019 lost to Virginia in the second round, 2020 covid year, 2021 lost to USC in the second round, but yeah Oregon is doing just fine in basketball…

You’d think Oregon would’ve made it to the Sweet Sixteen at least once since the Final Four run, if an Oregon football coach had the same lack of success as Altman over that time period half the fans would scream for him to be fired.
Oregon made the Sweet 16 in 2019 (beat Wisconsin and UC-Irvine before losing to Virginia) and technically did the same in 2021 (forfeit win over VCU and stomping of Iowa before losing to USC.)
I stand corrected regarding 2019 and 2021 forgot the first round was cancelled due to covid, thought Oregon faced USC in the second round.
Though hypothetical, I'd say there was no way in hell the 2020 team was not going to make (at least) the sweet sixteen. They were playing so well and trending towards a special kind of finish. So I'd say Altman delivered quite well since FF run overall, in my opinion.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
northbeachsf
Freshman

Re: QUACK! 2023 SF Mookie Cook commits

Post by northbeachsf »

That article by The Atlantic is false. He gave an interview and it sounds like he is for sure staying in the 2023 class.

This guy is like Chris Boucher 2.0 Great get!
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

northbeachsf wrote:That article by The Atlantic is false. He gave an interview and it sounds like he is for sure staying in the 2023 class.

This guy is like Chris Boucher 2.0 Great get!
I’d say Jordan Bell 2.0, not as tall as Boucher but stronger.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: 2023 G Mookie Cook announcing commitment

Post by UOducksTK1 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Choosing between Oregon, Kentucky. And Gonzaga. Geez between that bunch who thought one would be an NIT team, one would go out in the first round, and the other would go out in the Sweet Sixteen? Clearly any of those teams could really use his help!
I mean, we made it to the sweet sixteen the 4 years before. So don’t follow that logic.
I’m saying all three teams underperformed compared to expectations.

Also that’s not true, last time Oregon made the Sweet Sixteen was 2017. 2018 went to the NIT, 2019 lost to Virginia in the second round, 2020 covid year, 2021 lost to USC in the second round, but yeah Oregon is doing just fine in basketball…

You’d think Oregon would’ve made it to the Sweet Sixteen at least once since the Final Four run, if an Oregon football coach had the same lack of success as Altman over that time period half the fans would scream for him to be fired.
Ah, I misread your post.

Anyway, welcome Mookie!!! Big time talent. Dana is a magician.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Tray Dub wrote:I don't think it has fully landed for me that we have three 5-star recruits coming in. That is just insane.

Edit: I read The Athletic article saying he will reclassify, apparently his family are disputing that? Not sure what's up, either way our recruiting prowess is exceeding my expectations lately.
I also feel like Ware, Cook, and Dior will live up to the hype. I think we have something special brewing. Next year will be fun since this year felt like a regurgitated team.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Maybe somewhat of a regurgitated team next year, if Nemec is correct. On his recruiting show last night, he said he is hearing that a good portion of players are probably coming back. Obviously didn’t say what players. Odd, knowing the star power on the way. If true, hope the new guys get a better shake than Bittle did.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Everythingsducky wrote:Maybe somewhat of a regurgitated team next year, if Nemec is correct. On his recruiting show last night, he said he is hearing that a good portion of players are probably coming back. Obviously didn’t say what players. Odd, knowing the star power on the way. If true, hope the new guys get a better shake than Bittle did.
Did Bittle get a bad shake? I like him, and hope he sticks around, but didn’t think he was better than anyone that was seeing playing time in the front court. He had a few moments here and there, but seemed a bit overmatched in the post. Just needs to spend the offseason adding strength. He will be good in the long run, but I also didn’t think he showed anything this year that proved he should see more PT.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Altman usually seems to like 7-8 player rotations, he may need to try 10 though with all of the talent he’s gonna have, doesn’t seem like there is room for everyone! Hopefully he finds a way to get all of that talent on the court. But next year we could literally have the following rotations:

First Team: Richardson, Young, Guerrier, Bittle, Dante
Second Team: Johnson, Harmon, Cook, Kepnang, Ware

Am I missing anyone? Lol, that’s so much talent! Obviously that’s just a hypothetical but if that is the rotations having 3 5 stars coming off the bench would be insane. That two deep alone has five 5 stars, four 4 stars, and one 3 star coming out of high school.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Altman usually seems to like 7-8 player rotations, he may need to try 10 though with all of the talent he’s gonna have, doesn’t seem like there is room for everyone! Hopefully he finds a way to get all of that talent on the court. But next year we could literally have the following rotations:

Am I missing anyone? Lol, that’s so much talent! Obviously that’s just a hypothetical but if that is the rotations having 3 5 stars coming off the bench would be insane. That two deep alone has five 5 stars, four 4 stars, and one 3 star coming out of high school.
Young is gone. Cook is most likely not reclassifying. Hopefully Soares shows significant improvement. Williams and Rigsby might squeeze in some PT, though it’s hard to rely on Juco transfers in year 1 as they adjust to D1 ball. The good news is that if it’s true that most remaining guys are staying, it’ll be a better blend of returning and new players than in the past couple of years. Should help from a chemistry standpoint.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

droop10 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Altman usually seems to like 7-8 player rotations, he may need to try 10 though with all of the talent he’s gonna have, doesn’t seem like there is room for everyone! Hopefully he finds a way to get all of that talent on the court. But next year we could literally have the following rotations:

Young is gone. Cook is most likely not reclassifying. Hopefully Soares shows significant improvement. Williams and Rigsby might squeeze in some PT, though it’s hard to rely on Juco transfers in year 1 as they adjust to D1 ball. The good news is that if it’s true that most remaining guys are staying, it’ll be a better blend of returning and new players than in the past couple of years. Should help from a chemistry standpoint.
Thought Cook was gonna reclassify, should’ve read the entire thread!

What makes you say Young is gone? Has he said he’s gone or is it speculation?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The roster looks like this (when taking into account the extra COVID eligibility year):
SR: Richardson
JR: Dante, Guerrier, Harmon, Soares
SO: Kepnang, Wur, Bittle, Rigsby, Williams
FR: Butler, Ware, Johnson

As it stands, they have no room for any more additions but I suspect that may change once some of the returning players make up their minds about staying or transferring.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
droop10 wrote:

Thought Cook was gonna reclassify, should’ve read the entire thread!

What makes you say Young is gone? Has he said he’s gone or is it speculation?
He doesn't have any eligibility left. This was his 6th year.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

droop10 wrote:

Edit: Weird accidental double post

Thanks for the info, thought that was Young’s fifth year. Probably best for the team that’s he’s gone anyways, he’s not the best at distributing the ball.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like Cook will be an actor before showing up at Oregon, as he'll be playing a young LeBron James in an upcoming film.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
I also feel like Ware, Cook, and Dior will live up to the hype. I think we have something special brewing. Next year will be fun since this year felt like a regurgitated team.
Well, hopefully Ware lives up to the hype, anyway.

https://duckswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/ ... om-oregon/