2022-23 WBB Additions/Subtractions

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Sabally, Parrish, Watson leaving WBB program

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I echo what others are saying, that all college sports are just becoming less interesting with the revolving door of players.

MBB for example was totally different when we had Ridnour for 3 years, Luke Jackson for 4, James Davis, Freddie Jones compared to a whole new squad every season.

Football and apparently WBB are now becoming like that too. It's just harder to have a true emotional connection when you don't even know half the players.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

money money money, MONEY$!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I think both Graves and Altman fell for the star trap, getting these high star players who have a sense of entitlement and leave after a year for “greener” pastures cause they don’t like being yelled at. Maybe it’s time to focus less on the stars and more on the attitude and worth ethic. Sabrina and Brooks, the heart and soul of the Final Four teams, were known for yelling at the faces of teamates when they weren’t playing hard and they were OK with getting yelled at themselves, that weeded out the entitled players and left them with talented and hard working teammates like Hebard, Dorsey, Bell, Sabally, and Boucher. And I’m sure the leadership of those players improved those around them.

I know we’re in a new era, but doesn’t mean you have to drastically change. I think both basketball teams would be better off pursing hard working 3 stars, not the talented but entitled players we saw on both teams last season.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I think both Graves and Altman fell for the star trap, getting these high star players who have a sense of entitlement and leave after a year for “greener” pastures cause they don’t like being yelled at. Maybe it’s time to focus less on the stars and more on the attitude and worth ethic. Sabrina and Brooks, the heart and soul of the Final Four teams, were known for yelling at the faces of teamates when they weren’t playing hard and they were OK with getting yelled at themselves, that weeded out the entitled players and left them with talented and hard working teammates like Hebard, Dorsey, Bell, Sabally, and Boucher. And I’m sure the leadership of those players improved those around them.

I know we’re in a new era, but doesn’t mean you have to drastically change. I think both basketball teams would be better off pursing hard working 3 stars, not the talented but entitled players we saw on both teams last season.
That’s great and all, except none of the players you mentioned were 3 stars. If you thought this team wasn’t competitive, wait until you see the team full of 3 stars. Off the top of my head, I don’t believe any of the guys in the starting lineup on the final 4 team were 3 stars. Not sure any of the gals on their teams were either, though I admittedly don’t follow women’s recruiting closely. I just remember Ionescu’s class being very highly rated. I think you’re making way too much of one down year for the men’s team. All programs have years where things just don’t click for a squad for some reason. Plus, the highest ranked recruits weren’t the issues with that team.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

droop10 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I think both Graves and Altman fell for the star trap, getting these high star players who have a sense of entitlement and leave after a year for “greener” pastures cause they don’t like being yelled at. Maybe it’s time to focus less on the stars and more on the attitude and worth ethic. Sabrina and Brooks, the heart and soul of the Final Four teams, were known for yelling at the faces of teamates when they weren’t playing hard and they were OK with getting yelled at themselves, that weeded out the entitled players and left them with talented and hard working teammates like Hebard, Dorsey, Bell, Sabally, and Boucher. And I’m sure the leadership of those players improved those around them.

That’s great and all, except none of the players you mentioned were 3 stars. If you thought this team wasn’t competitive, wait until you see the team full of 3 stars. Off the top of my head, I don’t believe any of the guys in the starting lineup on the final 4 team were 3 stars. Not sure any of the gals on their teams were either, though I admittedly don’t follow women’s recruiting closely. I just remember Ionescu’s class being very highly rated. I think you’re making way too much of one down year for the men’s team. All programs have years where things just don’t click for a squad for some reason. Plus, the highest ranked recruits weren’t the issues with that team.
I don’t think this is a problem at Oregon only though, it’s going on nationwide, kids don’t want to go through adversity and be the recipients of tough coaching, so they transfer constantly. I’m always aware some of them were highly ranked players, just wonder how much of the emphasis is on talent/potential rather than attitude/work ethic.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Yeah we'd rather keep the 5 stars coming, but they can't come in here looking so raw that everyone in the Pac-12 outworks them.
You knew we were in trouble when that HIGH SCHOOL girl from Oregon State was schooling everyone in the team and ROARING HER MOUTH in our players' faces.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

shoparound wrote:Yeah we'd rather keep the 5 stars coming, but they can't come in here looking so raw that everyone in the Pac-12 outworks them.
You knew we were in trouble when that HIGH SCHOOL girl from Oregon State was schooling everyone in the team and ROARING HER MOUTH in our players' faces.
That girl from Oregon State was a 5 star and higher ranked than Oregon's 5 Stars. OSU's team is loaded with 5 stars and has been for years.
Last edited by GrandpaDuck on Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

At this years McDonald's game UO, OSU, UA UCLA and Stanford all had 2 players. Utah and USC had one. A team of 3 star players in the PAC-12 lets you play for 7th place.

UCLA, UO, OSU and Stanford are all top 10 this year, 3 of them are top 6 in class rankings.

After watching the McDonald's game, it appears Gray will add more to the offense than we got from Scherr by a mile and Grace VanSlooten can bang in the paint like Watson. A good chance Isai turns out better than Parrish, she already has a vastly better tool set inside the 3 point line.

The big hole to fill is going to be Sabally, the 3 transfers I feel are covered, at least to the level they played at this year.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Paopao is sticking it out with Oregon.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Duck Nayshun. Sounds so halloween high to me.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:At this years McDonald's game UO, OSU, UA UCLA and Stanford all had 2 players. Utah and USC had one. A team of 3 star players in the PAC-12 lets you play for 7th place.

UCLA, UO, OSU and Stanford are all top 10 this year, 3 of them are top 6 in class rankings.

After watching the McDonald's game, it appears Gray will add more to the offense than we got from Scherr by a mile and Grace VanSlooten can bang in the paint like Watson. A good chance Isai turns out better than Parrish, she already has a vastly better tool set inside the 3 point line.

The big hole to fill is going to be Sabally, the 3 transfers I feel are covered, at least to the level they played at this year.
The people that criticized Chip Kelly's recruiting likely think like you do but who had the better record Mario or Chip? Sometimes I'd rather have smart and hard working 4 stars than 5 stars. By the way I just want to say this because I accidently called Royce Freeman a 3 star that over performed and someone corrected me. When we talking about 3 stars we usually mean lower end 4 stars. For example I always preferred Kennan Lowe over DeAnthony Thomas.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

duck023 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:At this years McDonald's game UO, OSU, UA UCLA and Stanford all had 2 players. Utah and USC had one. A team of 3 star players in the PAC-12 lets you play for 7th place.

The people that criticized Chip Kelly's recruiting likely think like you do but who had the better record Mario or Chip? Sometimes I'd rather have smart and hard working 4 stars than 5 stars. By the way I just want to say this because I accidently called Royce Freeman a 3 star that over performed and someone corrected me. When we talking about 3 stars we usually mean lower end 4 stars. For example I always preferred Kennan Lowe over DeAnthony Thomas.
Sorry but I disagree with almost all of this. First in terms of "think like I do" you give the Mario versus Chip as an example when frankly I have felt that Mario let websites do his talent evaluation and he chased stars to win the 247 class rankings competition, Chip and crew were better talent evaluators. But basketball recruiting is so much different than football recruiting. While you certainly have misses in WBB rankings they are way better overall in basketball as stats are more meaningful and its easier to separate a players talent from team or system talent than in football.

PAC-12 (and National) WBB basketball has been consistently dominated by 5 star talent for ages with very few 3 star Cinderella stories. Turnarounds in the conference from bottom to competitor like Arizona (Reese/McDonald), Oregon (Sabrina/Ruthie) and Washington (Plum/Osahor) have largely been on the backs of 5 Stars. I cant think of an exception in recent years off hand.

Lastly, Lowe was a great team player and good football player, but if you were putting a team together you would take Lowe over DAT? How many game changing plays did Lowe make versus DAT? How many future players said their interest in coming to Oregon was sparked by watching Lowe play football?
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

Best of luck to the departees, but I can't say it is good or bad overall. There was something missing from each of them and collectively the sum was lesser than the parts. The Feng Shui was wrong somehow. That said, the talent will still be very good next year. Basically 4-5*s everywhere. The one exception is big Phillipina (best pro potential), who wasn't ranked at all I think. I think she becomes dominant and reliable in a way that Nyara just wasn't. With a more cohesive team, I see huge potential despite back to back years of wholesale exits.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Bigby is going to the portal.