Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

5 star Kwame Evans Jr Edit: QUACK!

Post by UOducksTK1 »

https://247sports.com/Player/Kwame-Evans-Jr-46101949/

Kel'el Ware, Dior Johnson, Mookie Cook, and potentially now Kwame Evans Jr would be the best back to back classes by a mile in Oregon history.

If DA makes this one happen, he is a magician.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
dthomas=ddixon

Re: Oregon leading for top PF in nation?

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Two of the top five players in the nation? Never would have dreamed we would recruit on this level.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Two of the top five players in the nation? Never would have dreamed we would recruit on this level.
I felt since NLI was first discussed that if it ever was made NCAA legal that Nike would be formidable like they are in the pro endorsement game. I suspect that particularly in MBB that's what we are seeing.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

So much for people thinking Altman had lost his touch.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

greenyellow wrote:So much for people thinking Altman had lost his touch.
I wouldn’t go that far. I suspect by loss #3 next year, they’ll be back.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I mean, he didn't even make the tournament and got bounced in the NIT pretty quick. Recruiting all the talent in the world isn't going to matter if he doesn't get the wins.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:Two of the top five players in the nation? Never would have dreamed we would recruit on this level.
I felt since NLI was first discussed that if it ever was made NCAA legal that Nike would be formidable like they are in the pro endorsement game. I suspect that particularly in MBB that's what we are seeing.
Agreed. Ware and Johnson turned down 6 figure deals to sign with Oregon. I doubt that happens without those numbers being matched by Oregon/Nike.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

karlhungis wrote:
I mean, he didn't even make the tournament and got bounced in the NIT pretty quick. Recruiting all the talent in the world isn't going to matter if he doesn't get the wins.
Personally I think the reason we didn’t make the tournament is cuz our team was mostly transfers and not high recruits that got developed on our team. 4 of our top 5 scorers were brand new transfers.

If you look at our our big tournament runs, they were littered with big time recruits and had a transfer or two in the main rotation.

So main issue is getting big recruits and getting them to stay and develop. Until that happens, it’s going to be harder for a guy like DA to make another elite 8/final 4 run.

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
Personally I think the reason we didn’t make the tournament is cuz our team was mostly transfers and not high recruits that got developed on our team. 4 of our top 5 scorers were brand new transfers.

If you look at our our big tournament runs, they were littered with big time recruits and had a transfer or two in the main rotation.

So main issue is getting big recruits and getting them to stay and develop. Until that happens, it’s going to be harder for a guy like DA to make another elite 8/final 4 run.
I agree. It seems like there is a disconnect between the type of team that he is building and the type of team he needs to succeed.
OregonFan4life -
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Right^ and the transfer portal is making that harder than ever.

Thankfully, everyone has the same challenge but it’s making college basketball less fun to watch for sure.

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Right^ and the transfer portal is making that harder than ever.

Thankfully, everyone has the same challenge but it’s making college basketball less fun to watch for sure.
I feel like the next evolution of the NIL deals is going to basically put in no transfer clauses. That could possibly lead to more stability in the long run.
OregonFan4life -
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

karlhungis wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Right^ and the transfer portal is making that harder than ever.

I feel like the next evolution of the NIL deals is going to basically put in no transfer clauses. That could possibly lead to more stability in the long run.
I would love to see commitment by athletes post NIL. As it is now, no rules for athletes or boosters to follow. I hate one and done, Altman has shown he can not get one and done’s to jell.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Alan wrote:
karlhungis wrote:

I would love to see commitment by athletes post NIL. As it is now, no rules for athletes or boosters to follow. I hate one and done, Altman has shown he can not get one and done’s to jell.
Seems like it will take a few boosters having a kid take the money and transfer to get them to agree on some guardrails.
OregonFan4life -
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

As the 'old guard', i.e. guy like Coach K start to fade into the past, there may be an brief opportunity for coaches like DA to hit their stride, with the aid of NIL.

I have an extremely hard time swallowing (gagging/choking) that the main reason we so offten came in second to guys like coach K and other "big name" coaches was only the "chance to play for a winner or championship".
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

karlhungis wrote:

The ncaa can always stop allowing players to be able to transfer and play right away.