MBB: #2 Houston @ Oregon (Nov. 20, Sun 6 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

MBB: #2 Houston @ Oregon (Nov. 20, Sun 6 PM ESPN)

Post by greenyellow »

HOUSTON
NOV. 20 (SUN) 6 PM
EUGENE, OR
TV: ESPN
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: MBB: #2 Houston @ Oregon (Nov. 20, Sun 6 PM ESPN)

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Hope it’s a competitive game!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Hope it’s a competitive game!
Same. If they can keep it between 10-20 for most of the game, it'd be somewhat of a success.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Massive turnover issues tonight. Ducks just giving them the ball constantly.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Surprised Oregon has actually kept it as close as they have with such poor shooting and all these turnovers. Oregon really lacks a guard/wing who can create their own shot against Houston's perimeter pressure.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

First half thoughts, good and bad:

Good:

DANTE! Looks like the best player on the court. Great anticipation on D, solid footwork on offense, rebounding machine

Ball movement - offense doesn’t look stagnant. Finding open shooters, getting to the hoop.

Defense - looking really solid on D. Athletic and big.

Bad:

Shooting - absolutely no one looks comfortable taking open shots. Passing up lots of looks and missing badly on the rest. Not sure why Altman can’t find a shooter anymore.

Free throws - just bad…..

Richardson - just as tentative as ever. Lazy passes, passing on open 3’s.

Guerrier - not good enough at any one thing to belong on the court. Too small, too slow, too clunky, takes too many shots he doesn’t make, eats up the shot clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

Final thoughts:

More of the same. FT% improved and Guerrier got to the line a few times, but unless we can find a passable shooter or two, our offense won’t work.

Ware needs to find his motor. Talent is there.

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon got within 6 late but just didn't have the manpower to get any closer. Not a bad showing against an athletic, too-5 team like Houston. Definitely much better effort than last year's game with them, where the Ducks lost by 29.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

It’s cool that we kept it relatively close but this team is just poorly constructed. So much talent at one position then a bunch of scrubs, or at least guys playing like one, everywhere else.

droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:It’s cool that we kept it relatively close but this team is just poorly constructed. So much talent at one position then a bunch of scrubs, or at least guys playing like one, everywhere else.

It’s currently constructed that way, because there are 4 guards and wings out with injuries. They’re just undermanned right now. They are being forced to play these big lineups, because they don’t have enough healthy guards. Also, Richardson struggling with the yips, or whatever is going on with him, doesn’t help. It was one thing when he was just having shooting struggles, but now he’s also lost his handles completely and makes careless pass after careless pass. I don’t know what’s going on with him.
Last edited by droop10 on Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

droop10 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:It’s cool that we kept it relatively close but this team is just poorly constructed. So much talent at one position then a bunch of scrubs, or at least guys playing like one, everywhere else.

It’s currently constructed that way, because there are 4 guards and wings out with injuries. They’re just undermanned right now. They are being forced to play these big lineups, because they don’t have enough healthy guards. Also, Richardson struggling with the yips or whatever is going on with him doesn’t help. It was one thing when he was just having shooting struggles, but now he’s also lost his handles completely and makes careless pass after careless pass. I don’t know what’s going on with him.
It's not the first time we've seen him like this. Just part of who he sometimes is, unfortunately.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

droop10 wrote:

It’s currently constructed that way, because there are 4 guards and wings out with injuries. They’re just undermanned right now. They are being forced to play these big lineups, because they don’t have enough healthy guards. Also, Richardson struggling with the yips, or whatever is going on with him, doesn’t help. It was one thing when he was just having shooting struggles, but now he’s also lost his handles completely and makes careless pass after careless pass. I don’t know what’s going on with him.
I realize that but it’s not like Tyler Dorsey is one of those guys who’ll be back in a few weeks. Obviously I’m hoping someone steps up but it’s not looking great at the moment.

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

If this is the Will Richardson we get this year this team isn’t going far. He might be the most frustrating player, because he has so much potential and shows glimpses of it sometimes but then far too often we get this version of Richardson. The reality is at this point he is who he is. He doesn’t fight through adversity and he’s a good #2 option, he does not have an alpha mentality and does not have the mental capacity to be a leader that can take over games, despite his skill and talent. It’s sad cause I don’t think he knows what he’s wasting with having his timid mentality on the court.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:If this is the Will Richardson we get this year this team isn’t going far. He might be the most frustrating player, because he has so much potential and shows glimpses of it sometimes but then far too often we get this version of Richardson. The reality is at this point he is who he is. He doesn’t fight through adversity and he’s a good #2 option, he does not have an alpha mentality and does not have the mental capacity to be a leader that can take over games, despite his skill and talent. It’s sad cause I don’t think he knows what he’s wasting with having his timid mentality on the court.
He plays better when he's the 2nd or 3rd best guard/forward on the team. When he's put to be the leader of that group, he just doesn't do well.

It is a bummer Oregon's guard/forward player outside of Richardson the last few years has also been pretty awful. Again, I blame recruiting/player development in that area. Oregon has historically had pretty strong guard play and outside shooting. So this is a weird era for fans under DA.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Richardson was like this last year until conference then he played really well until mono got him. So this slow start is not without precedent nor is him snapping out of it.

Are any of the injured guards disruptive defenders? With the rim protectors it has, this team could be a defensive monster like some of the past teams, but we could use some guards that can pressure the ball in order to get there.

Like everyone has said shooting is a major problem but so is penetration which has always been W.R.s strength and hopefully and likely will be again in the next month.