MBB: #25 UConn v Oregon (Nov. 24, Thu 5 PM ESPN2)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

MBB: #25 UConn v Oregon (Nov. 24, Thu 5 PM ESPN2)

Post by greenyellow »

PK INVITATIONAL
UCONN
NOV. 24 (THU) 5 PM
PORTLAND, OR
TV: ESPN2
dthomas=ddixon

Re: MBB: #25 UConn v Oregon (Nov. 24, Thu 5 PM ESPN2)

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Can we trade one of our 5* centers for a guard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Just wow. How can the shooting and ball handling be this bad?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon looks like a team playing with only 7 scholarship players and 2 healthy guards.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

We can’t keep having such disappointing seasons, I sure hope Altman turns things around, I don’t think a guard or two returning from injury will magically fix all of these issues.
GDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by GDuck »

One of the worst games I’ve seen.
GoDucks7
One Star Recruit

Post by GoDucks7 »

Altman's teams are getting worse and worse despite getting more talented players. Yeah we have the injury bug early this year but the guys who are playing look terrible. Offense is stale and defense is slow and soft. I'm getting tired of Altman. Relying on your teams to make late runs just to get into the tournament as a 10+ seed is unsustainable and frustrating. I think it's time to start considering a new coach for the program. This team is as bad as I can remember and just an absolute embarrassment to watch.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GoDucks7 wrote:Altman's teams are getting worse and worse despite getting more talented players. Yeah we have the injury bug early this year but the guys who are playing look terrible. Offense is stale and defense is slow and soft. I'm getting tired of Altman. Relying on your teams to make late runs just to get into the tournament as a 10+ seed is unsustainable and frustrating. I think it's time to start considering a new coach for the program. This team is as bad as I can remember and just an absolute embarrassment to watch.
Two of the guys out would have been starters and another is a key reserve. That is going to severely affect their offense, especially since the team had a hard time going 5v5 due to all the injuries in fall camp. The team looked so much better on the Canada trip with the full team versus now with their makeshift starters/bench. I do think he needs to reconsider what he's looking for in his guards/wings since he can't keep getting guys who can't create or aren't competent shooters.
Eksynyt
Two Star Recruit

Post by Eksynyt »

What’s sad is this team would still beat Ernie Kent’s 2008-09 squad.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

GoDucks7 wrote:Altman's teams are getting worse and worse despite getting more talented players. Yeah we have the injury bug early this year but the guys who are playing look terrible. Offense is stale and defense is slow and soft. I'm getting tired of Altman. Relying on your teams to make late runs just to get into the tournament as a 10+ seed is unsustainable and frustrating. I think it's time to start considering a new coach for the program. This team is as bad as I can remember and just an absolute embarrassment to watch.
A lot of your complaints are a result of the injuries. When you’re forced to play big lineups, shooting, driving and perimeter defense will naturally suffer. There are very sub-optimal lineups to be playing. You have a guy in Williams starting and he may have been redshirted if it weren’t for injuries. They had to play way more zone today than usual, because of the lack of perimeter D and trying to keep guys out of foul trouble with only 7 healthy scholarship players. The team as is can’t be judged at all. This is different than previous Altman teams that took a few months to develop. This team won’t be good until January due to key guys being out and lack of playing time together. Unfortunately, they’re going to need to win the conference tourney this year, because a tough non-conference schedule means they’ll have dug a pretty big hole by the time guys start to come back.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

And now Williams is limping good after that loose ball. Team just can't catch a break with all these injuries.
GoDucks7
One Star Recruit

Post by GoDucks7 »

greenyellow wrote:
Two of the guys out would have been starters and another is a key reserve. That is going to severely affect their offense, especially since the team had a hard time going 5v5 due to all the injuries in fall camp. The team looked so much better on the Canada trip with the full team versus now with their makeshift starters/bench. I do think he needs to reconsider what he's looking for in his guards/wings since he can't keep getting guys who can't create or aren't competent shooters.
The problem with this is that while we did beat the teams during the Canada trip, we didn't really dominate and most average D1 basketball teams would have had the same outcomes that we did. If I recall correctly, one of those games we won by 2 or 3 points and the other team had a chance to either win or force overtime. Additionally, we are counting on two "starters" who haven't ever played for the Ducks, one of who was a JUCO player, the other of whom wasn't exactly a baller at South Carolina. I don't think that having Cousinard and Rigsby tonight was going to win this game. Maybe instead of a 25-30 point blowout we would have only lost by 10-15. Again, we have more talent than we've ever had, including a 4th year point guard who has regressed every year he's been here. The offense is not creative and guys can't hit open shots. If they can't play 5 on 5 at practice, what are they doing that they can't at least shoot 30% from 3 or 40% from the floor? I don't even want to mention the free throw percentages...
GoDucks7
One Star Recruit

Post by GoDucks7 »

droop10 wrote:
A lot of your complaints are a result of the injuries. When you’re forced to play big lineups, shooting, driving and perimeter defense will naturally suffer. There are very sub-optimal lineups to be playing. You have a guy in Williams starting and he may have been redshirted if it weren’t for injuries. They had to play way more zone today than usual, because of the lack of perimeter D and trying to keep guys out of foul trouble with only 7 healthy scholarship players. The team as is can’t be judged at all. This is different than previous Altman teams that took a few months to develop. This team won’t be good until January due to key guys being out and lack of playing time together. Unfortunately, they’re going to need to win the conference tourney this year, because a tough non-conference schedule means they’ll have dug a pretty big hole by the time guys start to come back.
Maybe we need a different strength and conditioning coach or something because this has become an annual occurrence. Either way, I just can't fathom how 3-4 injured guys results in this bad of a blowout. UCONN is good but it's not like we are playing Gonzaga or Kansas. The team shows little to no effort, can't hit open shots and misses countless baskets within 5 feet. That doesn't have much to do with injuries. The guys who are healthy stink. I'm not sure this team would beat University of Portland if we end up playing them. And no we will not be in the tournament this year because we will likely be a bottom 8 seed in the PAC 12 tourney requiring 4 wins just to get in, 1 of which will need to be U of A or UCLA.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I don't think you quite get how much not being able to go live throughout practices for nearly a month affects timing, chemistry, and awareness. Going 3v3 or against just air isn't the same as 5v5 basketball.
GDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by GDuck »

Just a bad team for a variety of reasons. Injuries factor in, but it is way more than that. Richardson is just not playing well and isn’t a leader. Next year we will see if things turn around - if they don’t, coaching has to be looked at closely. Just not seeing much ingenuity in the play calling anymore too.