What’s Wrong with Oregon Men’s Bball?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

droop10
Five Star Recruit

Re: What’s Wrong with Oregon Men’s Bball?

Post by droop10 »

northbeachsf wrote:Wow...I wonder where all these guys are?

2014:
Dillon Brooks #59 - NBA
Jordan Bell #100 - Plays professionally in China
Ahmaad Rorie #117 - Rorie was first team all conference at Montana and plays professionally overseas
Michael Chandler (3 star JC) - Michael Chandler bounced around but never really stuck anywhere
Dwayne Benjamin (3 star JC) - Plays professionally in Mexico
Casey Benson #193 - Plays professionally in Finland
Roman Sorkin NR - Plays professionally in Israel

2015:
Tyler Dorsey #28 - Plays professionally in the Euro League
Trevor Manuel #112 - Plays professionally in Mexico
Kendall Small #113 - Played for the San Diego Guardians in 2021
Chris Boucher (4 star JC) - NBA

2016:
Pritchard #54 - NBA
MJ Cage #99 - Entered the transfer portal after 1 year at Pepperdine. I could not find any other information.
Keith Smith #104 - Keith Smith made 8 total baskets at Pepperdine. Must have been continued injuries?

2017:
Troy Brown #13 - NBA
Victor Bailey #86 - Victor Bailey averaged 12 PPG and shot 47% from three this past season at GMU. Wow!
Kenny Wooten #129 - NBA G League
Abu Kigab #140 - Kigab was second team all conference and played well while at Boise. NBA summer league and G League

2018:
Bol Bol #4 - NBA
Louis King #20 - NBA
Will Richardson #46 - Oregon
Francis Okoro #56 - Okoro is averaging around 10 PPG and 8 RBG at St Louis.
Miles Norris #74 - Norris averaged 14 PPG at Santa Barbara this past season and shot 49% from the floor and 39% from three. Wow!

2019:
N'Faly Dante #14 - Oregon
CJ Walker #28 - Only played 5 games for UCF due to injury.
Addison Patterson #42 - Patterson got booted from Nevada and is playing at Tallahassee CC and dominating.
Isaac Johnson #74 - At Utah State averaging 2.4 PPG
Chandler Lawson #95 - Played 20 minutes a game at Memphis and shot 57% from the floor and 50% from three on the year. Wow!
Chris Duarte (3 star JC) - NBA
Lok Wur #467 - Oregon

2020:
Franck Kepnang #36 - Hurt and DNP at Washington
Jalen Terry #80 - Averaged 20 minutes per game and 5.7 PPG at DePaul

2021:
Nathan Bittle #28 - Oregon
Rivalo Soares (3 star JC) - Oregon

A lot of these guys have played pretty well at other places. Is it an Oregon issue developing these mid-tier guys?
How many guys ended up playing pretty well? Norris, Rorie, and Kigab? I suppose you can count Bailey, but you're also talking about guys that have been out of the program 3+ years. Also, these guys are playing well in mid-major conferences, not in a power 5 conference. You think Oregon couldn't have developed them over those years? You can't compare a guy as a freshman to his play when he was an upperclassmen and blame the Ducks for not having immediately developed them as freshmen. The Chandler Lawson thing is a bit disingenuous. Those shooting numbers look great, until you realize he only scored 5 ppg and only took 14 threes all season. I would hardly say he's an important cog in the Memphis machine.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Agreed^

Most the guys who left didn’t pan out to do much.

Ironically, the three guys who did well left really early before allowing the coaches to develop them.

Rorie started 15 games as a freshman then transferred.
Norris played 10 mpg as a freshman and honestly had tons of potential, but transferred after his freshman year.
Kigab is the exception. Spent two years with us an looked pretty terrible. His transformation at Boise shocked me. After his sophomore year at Oregon, he transferred and it was a good idea for him.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Out of all those guys, Patterson was the one that really sucked. That guy had NBA potential, but couldn't get out of his own way.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

droop10 wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:Wow...I wonder where all these guys are?

2014:
Dillon Brooks #59 - NBA
Jordan Bell #100 - Plays professionally in China
Ahmaad Rorie #117 - Rorie was first team all conference at Montana and plays professionally overseas
Michael Chandler (3 star JC) - Michael Chandler bounced around but never really stuck anywhere
Dwayne Benjamin (3 star JC) - Plays professionally in Mexico
Casey Benson #193 - Plays professionally in Finland
Roman Sorkin NR - Plays professionally in Israel

2015:
Tyler Dorsey #28 - Plays professionally in the Euro League
Trevor Manuel #112 - Plays professionally in Mexico
Kendall Small #113 - Played for the San Diego Guardians in 2021
Chris Boucher (4 star JC) - NBA

2016:
Pritchard #54 - NBA
MJ Cage #99 - Entered the transfer portal after 1 year at Pepperdine. I could not find any other information.
Keith Smith #104 - Keith Smith made 8 total baskets at Pepperdine. Must have been continued injuries?

2017:
Troy Brown #13 - NBA
Victor Bailey #86 - Victor Bailey averaged 12 PPG and shot 47% from three this past season at GMU. Wow!
Kenny Wooten #129 - NBA G League
Abu Kigab #140 - Kigab was second team all conference and played well while at Boise. NBA summer league and G League

2018:
Bol Bol #4 - NBA
Louis King #20 - NBA
Will Richardson #46 - Oregon
Francis Okoro #56 - Okoro is averaging around 10 PPG and 8 RBG at St Louis.
Miles Norris #74 - Norris averaged 14 PPG at Santa Barbara this past season and shot 49% from the floor and 39% from three. Wow!

2019:
N'Faly Dante #14 - Oregon
CJ Walker #28 - Only played 5 games for UCF due to injury.
Addison Patterson #42 - Patterson got booted from Nevada and is playing at Tallahassee CC and dominating.
Isaac Johnson #74 - At Utah State averaging 2.4 PPG
Chandler Lawson #95 - Played 20 minutes a game at Memphis and shot 57% from the floor and 50% from three on the year. Wow!
Chris Duarte (3 star JC) - NBA
Lok Wur #467 - Oregon

2020:
Franck Kepnang #36 - Hurt and DNP at Washington
Jalen Terry #80 - Averaged 20 minutes per game and 5.7 PPG at DePaul

2021:
Nathan Bittle #28 - Oregon
Rivalo Soares (3 star JC) - Oregon

A lot of these guys have played pretty well at other places. Is it an Oregon issue developing these mid-tier guys?
How many guys ended up playing pretty well? Norris, Rorie, and Kigab? I suppose you can count Bailey, but you're also talking about guys that have been out of the program 3+ years. Also, these guys are playing well in mid-major conferences, not in a power 5 conference. You think Oregon couldn't have developed them over those years? You can't compare a guy as a freshman to his play when he was an upperclassmen and blame the Ducks for not having immediately developed them as freshmen. The Chandler Lawson thing is a bit disingenuous. Those shooting numbers look great, until you realize he only scored 5 ppg and only took 14 threes all season. I would hardly say he's an important cog in the Memphis machine.
I was asking the question of what the issue is at Oregon. I am not sure what is going on in the program, but the turnover is insane and not all of these guys are total busts. A good chunk of them are playing professionally somewhere or contributing in a positive way on a college roster. As an example, Chandler Lawson may not be an All American, but he is playing well enough to get 20 minutes per game on an NCAA tourney team. I know he only averages 6 ppg, but what does that say about his shot selection and his ability to contribute in other areas towards the success of his team? That is exactly what this Oregon team is missing. We probably could have used a few more guys like him and Norris.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

^
Idk how you come to that conclusion... Lawson averaged 1.6ppg and 2.2rpg at Memphis his Jr year, then 5.0 ppg and 4.5 rpg his senior year at Memphis.

Is that really better than his years at Oregon?
4.5 ppg 3.9 rpg (FR)
4.4 ppg 3.0 rpg (SO)

He had a better statistical career at Oregon than at Memphis. For a top 100 recruit to average 4ppg and 3rpg his whole career, that most certainly is a bust.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like Mullens was listening to Altman and they've posted a job listing for someone to run the gameday operations and promotions for MBB, soccer, and lacrosse. It's at least a start.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Cousinard will return; Williams will transfer out.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Duck07 wrote:Cousinard will return; Williams will transfer out.
Yuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

In a parallel universe there is no lab spill in Wuhan and the 2020 team wins the NC (the girls win, too).