2023-24 MBB Additions/Subtractions

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

droop10
Five Star Recruit

Re: 2023-24 MBB Additions/Subtractions

Post by droop10 »

Dante has announced he is coming back, which is huge. Ton of talent on the team next year if they can put it together.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Massive. Finally may have a really good mix of vets to help along the highly rated freshmen.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Guerrier has entered the transfer portal. Ducks probably still need to find at least 2 more frontcourt guys as they only have Dante, Bittle, and Evans.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:Guerrier has entered the transfer portal. Ducks probably still need to find at least 2 more frontcourt guys as they only have Dante, Bittle, and Evans.
I would like to see us pursue Olivier Nkamhoua. He doesn't play too big, but is a utility guy who can shoot outside.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon likely has 4 starters already in Barthelemy, Couisnard, Bittle, and Dante. They're probably still in need of a starting SF, which Knecht would likely fill. That leaves finding players who are okay with being role players or glue guys.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

greenyellow wrote:Oregon likely has 4 starters already in Barthelemy, Couisnard, Bittle, and Dante. They're probably still in need of a starting SF, which Knecht would likely fill. That leaves finding players who are okay with being role players or glue guys.
I could see Cook being OK with coming off the bench, but would be more surprised that Kwame Evans is OK with accepting that role.
Last edited by StevensTechU on Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I also feel like Bittle starting at PF wouldn't be the case in many games.

In either scenario, KJ Evans and Bittle will probably be getting similar minutes.

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UOducksTK1 wrote:I also feel like Bittle starting at PF wouldn't be the case in many games.

In either scenario, KJ Evans and Bittle will probably be getting similar minutes.
As currently constructed, it'd basically be a three-man rotation of Dante, Bittle, and Evans to fill the PF and C spots. That's doable as Oregon's best teams in recent years (2016-17 Final Four team, 2019-20 Payton Pritchard SR season, and 2020-21 Elite Eight team) have typically only used three post players for the majority of the season. A 4th big man would lessen the burden of those guys playing heavy minutes and give them more options in case of foul trouble/injuries.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Oregon likely has 4 starters already in Barthelemy, Couisnard, Bittle, and Dante. They're probably still in need of a starting SF, which Knecht would likely fill. That leaves finding players who are okay with being role players or glue guys.
I could see Cook being OK with coming off the bench, but would be more surprised that Kwame Evans is OK with accepting that role.
If Evans isn't better than Bittle, we're in trouble again.
Cook and Evans should start over anyone else we have at SF and PF.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Yeah, they should probably start. But if either has the work ethic of Ware, then absolutely not. Bittle was better this year, and should be better next year.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Ducks picked up a transfer, starting SG from Georgia, Kario Oquendo. Don't understand it, as he has averaged double digits in scoring both years, but shot under 40% from field and 27% from 3. It's weird to me that Altman has acknowledged needing to get better shooters, but continues to get guys that haven't shot consistently. Granted, I haven't ever watched this kid, so maybe he's forcing a lot of shots on a bad Georgia team, and that's bringing down his percentages. We shall see.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

droop10 wrote:Ducks picked up a transfer, starting SG from Georgia, Kario Oquendo. Don't understand it, as he has averaged double digits in scoring both years, but shot under 40% from field and 27% from 3. It's weird to me that Altman has acknowledged needing to get better shooters, but continues to get guys that haven't shot consistently. Granted, I haven't ever watched this kid, so maybe he's forcing a lot of shots on a bad Georgia team, and that's bringing down his percentages. We shall see.
I will say though, driving to the hoop (or strong inside scoring team) helps open up the 3-point shot more. Yes we still need to add another shooter, however, getting a strong slasher should help too.

With that being said, yes not my first choice. I really wish Couisnard would transfer now, so we can get a more consistent shooter. Couisnard in 4 seasons has never shot 40% FG or better. That's scary bad for college.

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

We continue to suck at the transfer portal. This is the same type of player we’ve brought in the last 2-3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:We continue to suck at the transfer portal. This is the same type of player we’ve brought in the last 2-3 years.

We will see. Even though Oquendo might not have been the shooter we want, he offers a skillset we didn't have last season.

Also, whether you like it or not, he is ranked #52 (Whereas all are other transfers, except Ware obviously, are not even on their list of top 230 transfers):
https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Baske ... PortalTop/

So perhaps that is saying something..

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:We continue to suck at the transfer portal. This is the same type of player we’ve brought in the last 2-3 years.

We will see. Even though Oquendo might not have been the shooter we want, he offers a skillset we didn't have last season.

Also, whether you like it or not, he is ranked #52 (Whereas all are other transfers, except Ware obviously, are not even on their list of top 230 transfers):
https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Baske ... PortalTop/

So perhaps that is saying something..
If we add Knecht then this addition makes more sense. If he’s being brought in to carry the team like Guerrier, Cousinard, etc were then it’s a failure, just like their additions were.