Is Lombardi one of the greatest pitching coaches of all time

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

duck58
Four Star Recruit

Is Lombardi one of the greatest pitching coaches of all time

Post by duck58 »

Allison Benning, a 2021 pitching recruit from Minnesota, thinks so and that's why she chose the Ducks. Allison led her team to the state title as a freshman. Not sure of the level. I like what she has done with Jordan, Brooke, and Diaz. I couldn't find that any of them were highly ranked out of HS(not in flosports top 100). While they had some success in college, none transferred in from what would be considered softball powers. Now we are getting good pitching recruits like Makena and Reagan. Hope we have a season next year. I think she is a great HC as well.
Duck07
All-American

Re: Is Lombardi one of the greatest pitching coaches of all

Post by Duck07 »

After the dodgy way Mike White left for Texas and bad-mouthed Oregon, she did a great job of selling her vision to the players that stayed and while I can't speak to the question, I do feel confident in her skills moving forward as she gets an actual roster with depth.

Under White we always had extremely talented teams that couldn't stand up to the pressure of the tournament but I see Melyssa Lombardi giving us teams that are built to withstand the rigors and win it all even if we're not the most "talented" squad on the field. Last year was a Crucible for those women playing and I think it will only benefit them all going forward.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Re: Is Lombardi one of the greatest pitching coaches of all

Post by duck58 »

Yeah, after watching WBB defeat USA and FB winning the Rose Bowl multiple times, I kind of brought it up out of boredom after reading Allison's remarks. I think the important thing is the young ladies she now has and is getting, like Allison, believe in her.

bowl