SB SS Alyssa Brito transferring

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

SB SS Alyssa Brito transferring

Post by greenyellow »

In a surprise, starting shortstop Alyssa Brito has entered the transfer portal.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Re: SB SS Alyssa Brito transferring

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Is Jasmine Sievers coming back? I noticed she was on the roster all year and still is.

Before this transfer, I wondered if she did come back who would play shortstop. They are both fantastic defensive players.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Also in the transfer portal are Mya Felder and Jazzy Contreras.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Is Jasmine Sievers coming back? I noticed she was on the roster all year and still is.

Before this transfer, I wondered if she did come back who would play shortstop. They are both fantastic defensive players.
If Sievers returns and played at the same level she did, I would say she would be SS. Brito's hitting took a nosedive, as did a lot of others, when PAC-12 play began. Brito could move to 1st base.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

duck58 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:Is Jasmine Sievers coming back? I noticed she was on the roster all year and still is.

If Sievers returns and played at the same level she did, I would say she would be SS. Brito's hitting took a nosedive, as did a lot of others, when PAC-12 play began. Brito could move to 1st base.
I think it would be very rare for an All-Pac-12 shortstop to to be happy with a move to 1st base of all fielding positions. Elite shortstops tend to have the same mentality as quarterbacks. On 9 out of 10 teams Brito plays SS and stays in the line-up regardless of how she hits. Oregon has one of the very few who have a defensive shortstop close to as good as her should Sievers return.

This may be one of the few transfers that a star player transfers because of a challenge to their position. Then again she may be transferring for the more common reasons such as home sick, doesn't like the coach or friction with other players etc.