BB: Eugene Regional

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

BB: Eugene Regional

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon will be hosting a regional this coming weekend. They'll find out tomorrow who'll also be in Eugene.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Re: BB: Eugene Regional

Post by shoparound »

Good coaching does matter, it appears.
This ship was sunk with Horton and it somehow came up.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Yeah this is very impressive for the baseball squad. It’d be great to see them with their regional.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Yeah this is very impressive for the baseball squad. It’d be great to see them with their regional.
I mean at this point I think its gotta be the expectation for them to win the regional.
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

LSU is a tough draw.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

RPIs of the other teams:
Gonzaga: 27
LSU: 28
Central Connecticut St.: 121
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Is this the 3rd time Oregon baseball has had postseason play? I know they made it to the super regionals once but choked themselves out of a trip to Omaha.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I remember hearing that Oregon once made it to the CWS...

In 1954

I wish this time they don't choke
MarshRat
High School Drop Out

Post by MarshRat »

Greetings Ducks. Looking forward to the regional

would love to get some info on y'all ballpark to bring back to my board.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

MarshRat wrote:Greetings Ducks. Looking forward to the regional

I'm probably not the best person to speak about Oregon baseball but this is a complete surprise to see Oregon in postseason play. We have a brand new coach that has brought life to a program we thought was dead. From what I know about the current Oregon baseball team, is they have pretty good offense, but inconsistent and sloppy defense. Have definitely seen plenty of defensive errors from this team. Overall pitching is good but nothing to go crazy about. It feels like Oregon just outhits their opponents a lot which is a drastic difference from the prior coach's small ball obsession where anytime someone was on first with 0 or 1 outs the next batter would attempt a sacrifice bunt (even with the opposition ready for it and knowing it's coming). Before Oregon baseball would lose games 0-1 and now they win games 9-7, just a very different team with new life.
MarshRat
High School Drop Out

Post by MarshRat »

OregonFan4Life wrote:

I'm probably not the best person to speak about Oregon baseball but this is a complete surprise to see Oregon in postseason play. We have a brand new coach that has brought life to a program we thought was dead. From what I know about the current Oregon baseball team, is they have pretty good offense, but inconsistent and sloppy defense. Have definitely seen plenty of defensive errors from this team. Overall pitching is good but nothing to go crazy about. It feels like Oregon just outhits their opponents a lot which is a drastic difference from the prior coach's small ball obsession where anytime someone was on first with 0 or 1 outs the next batter would attempt a sacrifice bunt (even with the opposition ready for it and knowing it's coming). Before Oregon baseball would lose games 0-1 and now they win games 9-7, just a very different team with new life.

Appreciate the info. No guarantees our teams will meet up this weekend, but if so, here's to a good game injury free on both sides.

On the ballpark itself. Dimensions aren't drastically different than Alex Box in Baton Rouge, but how does it play?
Is it hitter friendly or does it benefit pitchers more?

Also weather? Looks like temperature falls pretty good after dark out that way (that doesn't happen here).

Do y'all typically get a crowd on here to discuss games as they happen?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

IMO, one of the best stories on Oregon's team is the offensive prowess of Kenyon Yovan. After a successful start to his collegiate career as a pitcher (all conference, all American), he reinvented himself as a batter following an injury that kept him out of the 2019 season. Now he's the most dangerous offensive weapon on the team and all American slugger. Really remarkable.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

MarshRat wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

Appreciate the info. No guarantees our teams will meet up this weekend, but if so, here's to a good game injury free on both sides.

On the ballpark itself. Dimensions aren't drastically different than Alex Box in Baton Rouge, but how does it play?

Also weather? Looks like temperature falls pretty good after dark out that way (that doesn't happen here).

The field size is as follow:

Left - 335 ft
Center - 400 ft
Right - 325 ft

I feel like in the past I viewed the park as more pitcher friendly but with the new Oregon style of baseball and the higher scores, maybe that wasn't true all along. I'm by no means a baseball expert so somebody here could probably answer these questions way better than me, just thought I'd keep you from being ignored.

And while the temperature does drop drastically after dark, this time of year it doesn't get dark til around 10:00 PM, pretty long days here in the PNW this time of year, so the temperature drop won't be a huge factor.

I'm not sure about attendance, like I said previously, we thought the program was dead. A lot of ducks fans, myself included, thought the baseball program was going to be cut. Fan attendance was embarrassingly low and nobody cared, we were much bigger softball fans. So while fans are coming back and attention is growing, it's still not very high. You might find one or two people who would participate in a live chat about the game, but for most fans, myself included, while we care, we just won't watch an Oregon baseball game at 2:00 PM on a Friday, if I didn't have a toddler I probably would, but I won't stop everything for a baseball game like I would a football game (nothing gets between us and duck football).
MarshRat
High School Drop Out

Post by MarshRat »

gotcha.

due to covid and (what we consider) underachieving, our attendance plummeted this year.
But i still wouldn’t be shocked if you see a good sized chunk of purple and gold up there this weekend.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

MarshRat wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

I think the game threads consist of the following 3-4 posts. Game thread is created, greenyellow posts the final game summary, and 1-2 posters will comment on the game based on simply looking at the box score. I think there's very minimal fan support for the baseball team, but then again I don't really know anybody that follows college baseball, and I'm close with a lot of big sports fans. I love baseball, and watch MLB games just about every day, but have never been able to get into college, with the aluminum bats and most top tier players forgoing college for the minors. I follow these game threads just out of general curiosity as a Duck alum and wanting to see all their teams do well, but I don't set aside time to watch their games.