Kilkenny on Kent/Dunlap...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Kilkenny on Kent/Dunlap...

Post by woundedknees »

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/si ... /story.csp

Pat Kilkenny said he wavered on bringing Ernie Kent back for another season as the Oregon men’s basketball coach until the UO athletic director became convinced that adding Mike Dunlap to the coaching staff was what needed to be done for the Ducks to rebound from an 8-23 season.

“I never saw any interest from him when I talked to him,” Kilkenny said of that telephone call with Few in early March.

“Is this ship taking on water? Was this the right move?” Kilkenny said he asked himself, before deciding, “I better find out more about Mike Dunlap.”

A former head coach at Metro State in Denver, where he won two Division II national titles and 84 percent of his games, Dunlap also had worked for two seasons for the Denver Nuggets before being hired at Arizona.

Kilkenny said the responses to his inquiries about Dunlap were that “100 percent, they said that he can make you better.”

Kilkenny also said he wasn’t going to create an opening “unless I knew what the answer was” on who might replace Kent, an indication that his priority was finding a way to justify allowing Kent to return for a 13th season.

“We had some interest (from other coaches) through some of our friends in the business, but there wasn’t anybody who terribly excited me,” Kilkenny said of possible applicants.

Let's hope the gamble pays off!
Last edited by woundedknees on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

northbeachsf
Freshman

Re: Kilkenny on Kent/Dunlap...

Post by northbeachsf »

woundedknees wrote:http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/si ... /story.csp

Pat Kilkenny said he wavered on bringing Ernie Kent back for another season as the Oregon men’s basketball coach until the UO athletic director became convinced that adding Mike Dunlap to the coaching staff was what needed to be done for the Ducks to rebound from an 8-23 season.

“I never saw any interest from him when I talked to him,” Kilkenny said of that telephone call with Few in early March.

“Is this ship taking on water? Was this the right move?” Kilkenny said he asked himself, before deciding, “I better find out more about Mike Dunlap.”

A former head coach at Metro State in Denver, where he won two Division II national titles and 84 percent of his games, Dunlap also had worked for two seasons for the Denver Nuggets before being hired at Arizona.

Kilkenny said the responses to his inquiries about Dunlap were that “100 percent, they said that he can make you better.”

Kilkenny also said he wasn’t going to create an opening “unless I knew what the answer was” on who might replace Kent, an indication that his priority was finding a way to justify allowing Kent to return for a 13th season.

“We had some interest (from other coaches) through some of our friends in the business, but there wasn’t anybody who terribly excited me,” Kilkenny said of possible applicants.

Let's hope the gamble pays off!
Wow. Can't believe PK just came out and said all that. At least he is honest.
Mops
Four Star Recruit

Post by Mops »

Hopefully it will shed light on the fact that Mark Few DOES NOT WANT THE OREGON JOB. Move on!
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Mops wrote:Hopefully it will shed light on the fact that Mark Few DOES NOT WANT THE OREGON JOB. Move on!
That one point was the highlight of the article, IMO.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Does Few not want the Oregon job because he is happy at Gonzaga or because he just doesn't want to coach at Oregon? I sure hope it's the fact that he just wants to stay put, because the Oregon job would have made perfect sense for him. As for Kent,he got his you know what saved by the hiring of Dunlap. It's clear that Kilkenny didn't want Ernie back.
Mops
Four Star Recruit

Post by Mops »

duckgrad99 wrote:Does Few not want the Oregon job because he is happy at Gonzaga or because he just doesn't want to coach at Oregon? I sure hope it's the fact that he just wants to stay put, because the Oregon job would have made perfect sense for him. As for Kent,he got his you know what saved by the hiring of Dunlap. It's clear that Kilkenny didn't want Ernie back.

If Kilkenny didn't want kent back like you say its clear he didnt, would Kent be here? Why would the hiring of Dunlap keep Kent or the fact that Few didn't want the job?
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Mops wrote:Hopefully it will shed light on the fact that Mark Few DOES NOT WANT THE OREGON JOB. Move on!
Oregon just isn't an appealing job for a basketball coach. This may change in the future, but as of right now we are not a "basketball" school. Top coaches go to "basketball" schools.

Also I have a feeling that Mark Few is really turned off of the idea of reporting to Phil Knight.